Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: starting O-line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Joeckel>>>Beadles>>>Brewster?>>>Rackley? >>>Pasztor

Are they on the roster? Do we draft and start 2 rookies? 

I hold out hope that Brewster can be a starter at his natural position. I assume Rackley will be depth.

A C/RG starter should come from the draft...hoping for both might be hoping for too much.

Is it easier to find lineman that fit a zone blocking scheme in lower rounds?

Clearly there's at least 1 starter that's not on the roster.  More likely 2 starters.  Picking a starting line today is impossible because they're not going into the season without adding a few more guys to the mix.  Brewster won't be the starting center on opening day unless he has some sort of miraculous transformation this off season.  Rackley probably gets another opportunity to prove himself, but he's on a short leash as well, probably facing competition. 

Quote:A C/RG starter should come from the draft...hoping for both might be hoping for too much.
This is a must. Our new QB will get pumbled. 
Quote:This is a must. Our new QB will get pumbled

I don't know what that means, but it sounds really, really bad.
Quote:I don't know what that means, but it sounds really, really bad.

Maybe he meant 'plumbed'.

Yikes!
Quote:I don't know what that means, but it sounds really, really bad.

It's a portmanteau of pummeled and fumbled.
Quote:Maybe he meant 'plumbed'.

Yikes!

Prison football.
Ew
Quote:Maybe he meant 'plumbed'.

Yikes!

Quote:It's a portmanteau of pummeled and fumbled.

Quote:Prison football.

Like I wrote; really, really bad.
Quote:Like I wrote; really, really bad.

It's a football shaped cake of soap.  Don't drop it.
<buttclench>

The new center and right guard arent on the roster right now. 

Joeckel *** Beadles *** Martin (Rd3) *** Bitonio (Rd4) *** Pasztor 

Quote:Joeckel *** Beadles *** Martin (Rd3) *** Bitonio (Rd4) *** Pasztor 

This would be the ultimate scenerio, but do you think Bitonio is still there in the 4th? If we are picking a OG in the fourth Dozier seems more realistic, but hey who knows. Bitonio at 4 would be a steal.
Quote:Joeckel *** Beadles *** Martin (Rd3) *** Bitonio (Rd4) *** Pasztor 

Am I the only one that looks at that line and still thinks it would be a huge weakness for us?

You have to expect a lot of mistakes and underwhelming play from a 3rd and 4th rounders in the middle, and I'm still not sold on Pasztor being "the guy" at RT.
Quote:Am I the only one that looks at that line and still thinks it would be a huge weakness for us?

You have to expect a lot of mistakes and underwhelming play from a 3rd and 4th rounders in the middle, and I'm still not sold on Pasztor being "the guy" at RT.

DC is sold on Pasztor at RT, and add to that, that Bradfield is a swing OT and can START at both sides.

The only potential weakness would be Martin adjusting and reading NFL defenses, but to me he is the second best C in this draft (Behind Richburg). The Pouncey twins didn't have much problems converting to NFL caliber C's and IMO Martin is as good as the Pouncey twins. Just because we take him in the 3rd isn't a sign of weakness or lesser ability. Every draft is different. Bitonio and Martin to me are both second round talent. If they fall to the 3rd and 4th respectfully that would be a huge steal for the Jags.

Plenty of teams start rookies on the line all the time. I would take that line ATLjag posted with a HUGE smile on my face.
Quote:Am I the only one that looks at that line and still thinks it would be a huge weakness for us?

Paz is good enough at RT..the worries come from two rookies side by side at C and RG
Quote:DC is sold on Pasztor at RT, and add to that, that Bradfield is a swing OT and can START at both sides.

Bradfield did pretty well at LT, but was a bad RT.  He's solid depth, nothing else.

The only potential weakness would be Martin adjusting and reading NFL defenses, but to me he is the second best C in this draft (Behind Richburg). The Pouncey twins didn't have much problems converting to NFL caliber C's and IMO Martin is as good as the Pouncey twins. Just because we take him in the 3rd isn't a sign of weakness or lesser ability. Every draft is different. Bitonio and Martin to me are both second round talent. If they fall to the 3rd and 4th respectfully that would be a huge steal for the Jags.

I think you might be overrating Martin quite a bit.  Maybe he has the potential to be as good as the Pouncey twins, but everything I've read indicates he's below them in terms of talent. 

Plenty of teams start rookies on the line all the time. 

How many teams start two rookies next to each other?  I would venture to say not many.  The next question would be - how many teams do it successfully?  I just don't see two rookies being significantly better than Meester and Nwaneri were.  Will they be?  I think that's a definite yes.... but as rookies, we may see very similar play or just marginal improvement from last year, which will still make our line a weakness.
Pages: 1 2 3