Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Does Bradley need a game changing LB to make his defense click?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
He likes Dakota Watson at LB on 1st and 2nd down and wants his hand in the dirt on 3rd down. Kahlil Mack fits that mold.

And best of all they can sit pretty at 3 and select Mack. He will give you 2 positions on defense. Low risk high reward pick with tons of upside.

Mike Larocco says "he can rush the passer as good as Clowney."

We haven't had a player like that on defense since Kevin Hardy.

Im on the band wagon.
In my understanding of the defense you mainly need the run stuffing DE on the edge, a rotation of Leos and press corners to make it work. The lbs just need to be fast guys but they have no major working in the defense.

Obviously a better player at any position will make the defense even better but as long as those elements are there the defense should excel.

The other thing I wanted to add is the ability to have multiple types of guys to be Leos. A combination of LBs and DEs is to what really takes this defense to the next level because you can be more flexible and adapt to the situation.
Might just be me, but Mack's tape really isn't that impressive. The Ohio state game, however, was a great tape. The games against Stony Brook and Baylor were awful.

I can see his potential though... But now way he can rush the passer like Clowney
I've never followed a team, in depth, that has outstanding production from an OLB so I'm biased and have trouble seeing the impact for us.  Hopefully they pick the guy who fits the best to their scheme and plans, and if that is Mack let it be.  From my understanding Clowney would be quite the LEO and allow for more versatility on the line.  He could LEO downs 1 and 2, then move to 3 tech or 5 tech and allow Watson or another speedy linebacker play LEO.  Two pass rushers without sacrificing too much run stopping.

Mack will be a good player but he's not on Clowney's level and I'm irritated that Mayock keeps pushing this.

Quote:He likes Dakota Watson at LB on 1st and 2nd down and wants his hand in the dirt on 3rd down. Kahlil Mack fits that mold.

And best of all they can sit pretty at 3 and select Mack. He will give you 2 positions on defense. Low risk high reward pick with tons of upside.

Im on the band wagon.

Kevin Hardy was a disappointing player overall. He had that one really good year in 1999, but that was pretty much it. 

I still hold a grudge against him for taking the wrong angle in game 6 of the 1998 season vs Buffalo in the waning seconds of that game that allowed Doug Flutie to waltz into the EZ on a bootleg for the winning score. Hardy needed to contain the outside and instead he took the bait inside allowing for a fairly easy winning 5 yard scramble by Flutie. 

The Jags had a perfect 5-0 record heading into that game. 

The answer is no.

What changes the game, is a QB affecting pass rush combined with WR affecting coverage.

The linebackers take a back seat in Bradley's scheme to pass rushers and DBs.   Having an all-pro at SAM would make a difference on blitzing downs - but it would appear his defense will function well with top tier talent rushing the passer and covering receivers - and just solid athletes manning the LB spots.  (though speed at the OLB positions is part of the equation)

Quote:Mack will be a good player but he's not on Clowney's level and I'm irritated that Mayock keeps pushing this.

He certainly isn't shy of demonstrating his displeasure with Clowney, that's for sure.  It's kind of like when he went with McCoy over Suh.
Quote:I've never followed a team, in depth, that has outstanding production from an OLB so I'm biased and have trouble seeing the impact for us. 

LT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_19arT9uNCQ
Quote:He likes Dakota Watson at LB on 1st and 2nd down and wants his hand in the dirt on 3rd down. Kahlil Mack fits that mold.

Im on the band wagon.

The question is...would you take Kevin Hardy at #3?

That's my dilemma with Mack. As much as I like him (#3 behind Clowney/Teddy in my book),  a "very good" LB just doesn't quite provide the "oomph" that I'd want from a #3 overall pick.
Quote:The question is...would you take Kevin Hardy at #3?

That's my dilemma with Mack. As much as I like him (#3 behind Clowney/Teddy in my book),  a "very good" LB just doesn't quite provide the "oomph" that I'd want from a #3 overall pick.

But what if he's not Kevin Hardy?   What if he's Lawrence Taylor? 
Quote:Kevin Hardy was a disappointing player overall. He had that one really good year in 1999, but that was pretty much it. 

I still hold a grudge against him for taking the wrong angle in game 6 of the 1998 season vs Buffalo in the waning seconds of that game that allowed Doug Flutie to waltz into the EZ on a bootleg for the winning score. Hardy needed to contain the outside and instead he took the bait inside allowing for a fairly easy winning 5 yard scramble by Flutie. 

The Jags had a perfect 5-0 record heading into that game. 

Hardy was a victim of Dick Jauron's awful schemes.

Had Hardy been in Capers' defense the whole time, he would have been a star.
Quote:But what if he's not Kevin Hardy?   What if he's Lawrence Taylor? 

That would be nice !!!   Actually, Mack does look a little like LT.

[Image: 82985204.jpg]

@ryanohalloran: Gus said Khalil Mack would be more of a Leo in jags scheme.
Quote:But what if he's not Kevin Hardy?   What if he's Lawrence Taylor? 
He better be LT if we're taking him #3 overall.
Quote:Might just be me, but Mack's tape really isn't that impressive. The Ohio state game, however, was a great tape. The games against Stony Brook and Baylor were awful.

I can see his potential though... But now way he can rush the passer like Clowney

Wouldnt call those games awful, just not awesome. But I agree his Ohio state film is way better than anything else. He displayed very good hand placement against Baylor especially and Stony Broke really focused in on him to neutralize him. 
Quote:In my understanding of the defense you mainly need the run stuffing DE on the edge, a rotation of Leos and press corners to make it work. The lbs just need to be fast guys but they have no major working in the defense.

Obviously a better player at any position will make the defense even better but as long as those elements are there the defense should excel.

The other thing I wanted to add is the ability to have multiple types of guys to be Leos. A combination of LBs and DEs is to what really takes this defense to the next level because you can be more flexible and adapt to the situation.
I think Big Red Bryant and Tyson AluAlu are more than suitable as the run stuffers, but at Leo Clemons, Babin wont cut it.  We need a Clowney to really scare QBs and RBs alike.  I think our fans underrate how great our MLB, Poz truly is, sure you could argue that he's getting paid too much but he is one of the best MLBs in the league right now & went to the ProBowl last season.  We do need to draft an OLB but the agruement that Mack is better over Clowney doesnt have me convinced.
Quote:That would be nice !!!   Actually, Mack does look a little like LT.

[Image: 82985204.jpg]
Hey if Clowney isnt there at #3, then I would be fine with drafting Mack at 3.
Quote:I think Big Red Bryant and Tyson AluAlu are more than suitable as the run stuffers, but at Leo Clemons, Babin wont cut it. We need a Clowney to really scare QBs and RBs alike. I think our fans underrate how great our MLB, Poz truly is, sure you could argue that he's getting paid too much but he is one of the best MLBs in the league right now & went to the ProBowl last season. We do need to draft an OLB but the agruement that Mack is better over Clowney doesnt have me convinced.

I like Mack for the fit of the scheme but I rather Clowney because it could really dominate at the Leo position. Someone with his ability only rushing the qb and nothing else is a scary thing.

I could really see this guy having a 6-8 sack games lol. I say this facetiously but I could see that actually happening every blue moon with him in this scheme.
Pages: 1 2 3 4