Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hot Rods and all things Fast but not Necessarily Furious Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thought I'd start a thread where we can discuss hot-rods, restoration, modification, classics and collectibles and anything fun and automotive. 

Here's a cool little piece on Carroll Shelby to kick things off:

http://www.supercompressor.com/rides/car...-the-cobra

As a former owner of 65 Mustang that dreamt at night of it being a Shelby model  - and as a lucky man who was able to log nearly a thousand miles in Ford's 2006 recreation of the GT40  -  I hold the man's legacy in very, very high regard. 

Anyone currently restoring, daily driving, or planning a project on a classic or soon to be classic car, truck or cycle? 

My 1st car was a 67 Chevelle 327, looking for another one when I can afford it

Quote:My 1st car was a 67 Chevelle 327, looking for another one when I can afford it
 I've always preferred that body style to the 68-72 styles that became more collectible in recent years.  Beautiful car. 

Like you - I dream of building another car like my first. (65 stang  - definitely want a fastback instead of a coupe this time, though.  :devil: )

Quote:Anyone currently restoring, daily driving, or planning a project on a classic or soon to be classic car, truck or cycle? 

I've got a 68 Camaro, base (4.1 straight 6) with a vinyl top.

It still turns on the first crank (a long one, though.)

I've got some minor irritating stuff (mostly electrical and bulbs, or maybe fuses as they are notorious for having dash ground problems at their age) but otherwise she's all original and all clean.  Engine and transmission have never had to be rebuilt.

I didn't understand why dad replaced the steering wheel with a different wheel that was an available option, and since he's passed away I never got to ask but I've figured out why.  All of them have crumbled up by now and no one makes a reproduction part.  It's been said the same deluxe wheel was put on Impalas, etc.  That would be typical GM if true, but mom said he tried one of those but it didn't fit.  So, I'll always keep my eyes open for one.
Quote:I've got a 68 Camaro, base (4.1 straight 6) with a vinyl top.

It still turns on the first crank (a long one, though.)

I've got some minor irritating stuff (mostly electrical and bulbs, or maybe fuses as they are notorious for having dash ground problems at their age) but otherwise she's all original and all clean.  Engine and transmission have never had to be rebuilt.

I didn't understand why dad replaced the steering wheel with a different wheel that was an available option, and since he's passed away I never got to ask but I've figured out why.  All of them have crumbled up by now and no one makes a reproduction part.  It's been said the same deluxe wheel was put on Impalas, etc.  That would be typical GM if true, but mom said he tried one of those but it didn't fit.  So, I'll always keep my eyes open for one.
I know the wheel you speak of.  My brother had a 68 RS.  The rear quarter panel on the 68s seems like a cleaner more natural line than the 67 or 69 to me. I love those cars.

I always loved the look with the electric headlamp covers shut.  Does your camaro have them?  

[Image: gr_68gmpub2.jpg]

I'm rolling on them sweets 22's:

[Image: avenue%20herenfiets.jpg]

Damn straight!
2007 Civic SI...a true hot rod.

Quote:I'm rolling on them sweets 22's:[Image: avenue%20herenfiets.jpg]

Damn straight!
Do you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
Speaking of Hot Rods, the 426 Hemi is officially 50 years old this month

[Image: hemi50.jpg]

Quote:Do you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
I've burned rubber off the sidewalk a few times.
Nope, no RS.  Just a base.

[Image: Camaro_0001.JPG]
Just a base? Whatever, a 1st gen Camaro is nothing to sneeze at.

On Friday's I work from home and the TV is typically on Velocity. The had the Mecum auction on the other day where the Mustang Cobra Super Snake 1 of 1 sold for $1.3M previously had sold a couple million dollars worth of cars in the 20 minutes or so leading up to it. Was awesome.

When I pay my truck off I'm getting something. Thinking either a 66-72 Nova or 3rd gen Camaro/4th Gen Trans Am (I'll wear a mullet wig while driving.)

Quote:Nope, no RS.  Just a base.

[Image: Camaro_0001.JPG]
Beautiful
Quote: Thinking either a 66-72 Nova 

66 chevy II Nova is a great hot-roddable car.  Love those.

[Image: 66novascr-1.jpg]
Quote:66 chevy II Nova is a great hot-roddable car.  Love those.

My BIL had one just this.  Similar color and everything with a big honkin' motor.  It was his pride and joy.  He woke one morning to find an empty spot where it was parked the night before.  The remains were found in the Ohio River a few weeks later.
I have a few "incomplete" cars. One day...

Quote:66 chevy II Nova is a great hot-roddable car.  Love those.

Nice!

Quote:My BIL had one just this.  Similar color and everything with a big honkin' motor.  It was his pride and joy.  He woke one morning to find an empty spot where it was parked the night before.  The remains were found in the Ohio River a few weeks later.
Ugh, would be heart broken...

There's a 66-67 not sure which sitting outside these folks' trailer down the road from the place I hunt in Georgia. If it's still there this summer when we go up to cut the grass and plant it's mine. Looks great, no rust from what I can tell. Just gotta beat the dogs back to get near it...yee haw!
http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-a-mint-...1552074641

'69 Shelby GT500 garage find.

8500 miles - mint - undriven since '73

Quote:http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-a-mint-...1552074641

'69 Shelby GT500 garage find.

8500 miles - mint - undriven since '73

Read about that the other day, expected to bring 100K+ at auction
Pages: 1 2 3