Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: According to Vito-Jags should be $50+mil under Salary Cap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Caldwell keeps saying he won't target big names - but it sure seems that he'll be able to sign the players he wants regardless. 

(no link - as it's a jacksonville.com members article  -  I'm sure DiRocco or someone else will parrot the figures....)

How is this news?

We better get some big names, or at least some of these players in area of need in FA

FS Jairus Byrd

C Alex Mack

Pass rusher Orakpo

pass rusher - M Johnson

pass rusher - Greg Hardy

OG J Asomoah

Otherwise, what will we do ? we have to spend to the cap regardless, so otherwise we'll just have to overpay our own players to reach the total??

My guess.

They sign one big name (Mack), sign B and C+ free agents, sit on the money for another year and start the real spending in 2015 once we get closer to a completed roster.
Quote:My guess.

They sign one big name (Mack), sign B and C+ free agents, sit on the money for another year and start the real spending in 2015 once we get closer to a completed roster.

I was under the impression that the money had to be spent to the cap; i.e. "salary floor"?

How could they carry it over to 2015?
Quote:I was under the impression that the money had to be spent to the cap; i.e. "salary floor"?

How could they carry it over to 2015?

Have to spend 89% over two 4 year periods. 

Quote:We better get some big names, or at least some of these players in area of need in FA

FS Jairus Byrd

C Alex Mack

Pass rusher Orakpo

pass rusher - M Johnson

pass rusher - Greg Hardy

OG J Asomoah

Otherwise, what will we do ? we have to spend to the cap regardless, so otherwise we'll just have to overpay our own players to reach the total??

I'd love to get Byrd and Mack. Then maybe some older pass rusher for cheap.

FS is very important in this defense and I don't think Evans is going to be that guy.

A secondary if Byrd, Cyp, Ball/Blackmon, and Gratz looks pretty damn good to me.
Quote:We better get some big names, or at least some of these players in area of need in FA

FS Jairus Byrd

C Alex Mack

Pass rusher Orakpo

pass rusher - M Johnson

pass rusher - Greg Hardy

OG J Asomoah

I agree. There is absolutely no excuse for this team not to at very least sign a proven NFL quality starter at OG, LB, DT, and make a serious attempt to sign a top pass rusher and Byrd. The draft should be about finding a QB and competition for other positions. We should not have glaring holes that don't allow us to pick the BAP because we need a starter at a particular position.
Quote:I'd love to get Byrd and Mack. Then maybe some older pass rusher for cheap.

FS is very important in this defense and I don't think Evans is going to be that guy.

A secondary if Byrd, Cyp, Ball/Blackmon, and Gratz looks pretty damn good to me.

Agreed, 

and Byrd not only fills the need for the established FS we need, but he's also one of the better noses for the ball in the league. We desperately need a ball-hawk in this secondary and an addition of a caliber of player like that would probably help Cyprien as a by product.  

FS Jairus Byrd

C Alex Mack

Pass rusher Orakpo

pass rusher - M Johnson

pass rusher - Greg Hardy

OG J Asomoah

I hope we sign some big names. I have a substantial bet with a buddy that we win 8 games next year.
Quote:I agree. There is absolutely no excuse for this team not to at very least sign a proven NFL quality starter at OG, LB, DT, and make a serious attempt to sign a top pass rusher. The draft should be about finding a QB and competition for other positions. We should not have glaring holes that don't allow us to pick the BAP because we need a starter at a particular position.

I have a feeling you're going to be highly disappointed. Caldwell has explicitly stated time and again he's going to build this team thru the draft and use FA to supplement that. Excessive FA spending usually ends up with overpaying for average talent. See the 100 million dollar man Gene Smith.
Quote:Agreed,

and Byrd not only fills the need for the established FS we need, but he's also one of the better noses for the ball in the league. We desperately need a ball-hawk in this secondary and an addition of a caliber of player like that would probably help Cyprien as a by product.

Yup. Don't think it happens but until it doesn't I will hold out hope.
Quote:I have a feeling you're going to be highly disappointed. Caldwell has explicitly stated time and again he's going to build this team thru the draft and use FA to supplement that. Excessive FA spending usually ends up with overpaying for average talent. See the 100 million dollar man Gene Smith.

I can certainly see Dave Caldwell doing everything he can to supplement the defensive picks in free agency that he made in his first draft as a GM.
Quote:I have a feeling you're going to be highly disappointed. Caldwell has explicitly stated time and again he's going to build this team thru the draft and use FA to supplement that. Excessive FA spending usually ends up with overpaying for average talent. See the 100 million dollar man Gene Smith.

I agree that the team shouldn't be built excessively though FA, but to ignore it when opportunities like Byrd and Orakpo and maybe Mack are out there for the taking, is just cutting your nose to spite your face. All of those players could be valuable impact players going forward. No one is saying that you cannot still build through the draft otherwise. 
Quote:I agree that the team shouldn't be built excessively though FA, but to ignore it when opportunities like Byrd and Orakpo and maybe Mack are out there for the taking, is just cutting your nose to spite your face. All of those players could be valuable impact players going forward. No one is saying that you cannot still build through the draft otherwise.

My thoughts exactly. We've all been conditioned by the almighty Vic... and while I agree that draft success is key, getting some high end fee agents can drastically help this team. Provided they don't pull a who Douglas impression.

There is a happy medium between excessive FA spending and, for instance, what we did last year. I only expect 5 or so players to be signed, I just expect actual NFL level starters this year. Caldwell said that his intent was to sign bigger impact players and Bradley mentioned improving the top third of the roster. Also. Gene Smith overpaid for average talent and also over drafted below-average/horrible talent. He was a bad evaluator of talent. I would like to think that Caldwell will make better decisions in the Draft and free agency than Smith did. Look at the Broncos, even forgetting about Manning, who I realize was an unusual circumstance, for a minute. Pot Roast, DRC, Shaun Phillips, Welker, just off the top of my head were all free agent signings and all are starters and a large part of that teams success.
Quote:My thoughts exactly. We've all been conditioned by the almighty Vic... and while I agree that draft success is key, getting some high end fee agents can drastically help this team. Provided they don't pull a who Douglas impression.

right....and I think we learned from the Hugh Douglas mistake about avoiding FA with this combo: older (over 30), expensive, recent decline, leadership issues. Older FA can be useful in a short term capacity, but you generally want to avoid long term deals with FA 30 and over. 
Quote:Agreed, 

For once we agree  :thumbsup:

Bills have been relectant to pay him for 2 years so I would say he definitely hits the market. He got tagged this past year and they probably wont do it again. 

Caldwell may have said we wont target "bigger names" but he did say that he would look for players to make "more of an impact". I wouldnt be surprised if he shelled out some big deals. Hes kinda forced to anyway due to the new CBA. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6