Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jags are projected to have $65M in cap space/$80M if they cut odrick JT & House
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
That's an insane amount of resources for a team that doesn't have a lot of holes outside of the QB position. Just think about the spot the Jags are in for a sec, I know this year has been god-awful for all of us, but can you think of a team (in a recent memory) that had a roster ready to win "now" with $65-80M in cap space, and top 2-5 pick? I can't, the Jags are in an enviable position and if Shad Khan plays his cards right, there will be no shortage of head coach (and even GM candidates) to choose from.

This defense has been borderline dominant at times this year, as a Jag fan that lives in Minneapolis, I can say with absolute confidence that our D is just a notch below the Vikings D in terms of talent and on-field play, with the difference being Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen, the Vikes can consistently pressure QB's off the edge which leads to turnovers, the reason the Jags don't force turnovers on D is because they can't generate consistent pressure, pressure leads to turnovers. The fact that this defense has been so good without generating a ton of pressure is a testament to coaching (yep I said it), talent, and the sheer athleticism on the defensive side of the ball. When the Jags find a dominant edge rusher opposite Yannick Ngakoue, lookout.

The offensive line has performed better than expected, especially in pass pro where they've been one of the better units in the NFL, we have 3 dynamic WR's, how many wins would the Jags have this year with average QB play? I think they'd be 8-2/7-3 ball club right now, the 2-10 record is not an indicator of how talented this team is, and if it solves the two problems (QB and head coach) this off-season, I expect this team to bounce back in a major way. Look for the Jags to shore up the offensive line in free agency, with Bengals G Kevin Zeilter being a primary target, he's one of the better G's in the league and would instantly upgrade our run game. I also expect (whoever the GM is ) to aggressively pursue the top edge rusher on the market, Chandler Jones would look great in a Jags uniform. I think we draft the best available defensive player in the 1st round, a defensive line that features Chandler Jones/Malik Jackson/Jon Allen/Yannick Ngakoue gives me chills. Again, I know its been a tough year, but this team is simply head coach and QB away from making a run, they have all the resources in the world in terms of money and draft capital to solve their problems and make a deep run in playoff next year.

cutem and sign some better players

Grab Cook, grab a later round QB and sign a veteran QB to compete with jerkface.
Use it to build the O-Line.

If we cut House we must resign Prince. Chandler Jones got traded because he wanted a Von Miller contract. Lets spend money on depth and OL. Continue to rebuild through the draft.

Quote:Use it to build the O-Line.
Agreed

My top priorities in FA would be a G and RT
The only free agents id really want at all is Kevin zeitler and JPP. We have to use that money to re-sign Linder/Telvin/Arob/Prince and pick up beachums option.
Quote:Use it to build the O-Line.

We're 12th overall. With a couple pick ups we could be top 10.
Based on the Jaguars 2017 salary cap projection information at the beginning of this thread,  the first question that comes to mind is what's the median NFL team salary cap projection for 2017?

Quote:The only free agents id really want at all is Kevin zeitler and JPP. We have to use that money to re-sign Linder/Telvin/Arob/Prince and pick up beachums option.

Kevin Zeitler would definitely be an upgrade for us. He's having another very solid year.
Quote:...there will be no shortage of head coach (and even GM candidates) to choose from...

I agree. I think there are enough pieces here and a very favorable team financial situation that should make this one of if not the most attractive spot for a potential new coach or GM. That bodes well for Caldwell keeping his job I'd think.
Why are we cutting Odrick and Thomas? One is solid, the other isn't being used right. New coach gonna fix that right up.
Quote:Why are we cutting Odrick and Thomas? One is solid, the other isn't being used right. New coach gonna fix that right up.

Odrick is a firey player but I think the FO soured on him after his blowup in San Diego.

Thomas isn't going anywhere IMO . It will be Lewis on the chopping block.
We also have to possibly pay Telvin, Linder, ARob, Cyprien, Amukamara, Colvin, and Abry Jones.

Maybe Lee? Maybe Bortles?
Lol a lot of you guys are going to be pissed when we don't cut anyone
Quote:We also have to possibly pay Telvin, Linder, ARob, Cyprien, Amukamara, Colvin, and Abry Jones.

Maybe Lee? Maybe Bortles?

Maybe Lee? Is this even a question? Bortles on the other hand...
That's one perk to have on the table if you're Khan in a few weeks. That should make the next potential head coach and/or general manager's ears perk up a bit when being asked to take the job. God, I just hope we get this right for once. It's been too long.

Quote:That's an insane amount of resources for a team that doesn't have a lot of holes outside of the QB position. Just think about the spot the Jags are in for a sec, I know this year has been god-awful for all of us, but can you think of a team (in a recent memory) that had a roster ready to win "now" with $65-80M in cap space, and top 2-5 pick? I can't, the Jags are in an enviable position and if Shad Khan plays his cards right, there will be no shortage of head coach (and even GM candidates) to choose from.

This defense has been borderline dominant at times this year, as a Jag fan that lives in Minneapolis, I can say with absolute confidence that our D is just a notch below the Vikings D in terms of talent and on-field play, with the difference being Danielle Hunter and Everson Griffen, the Vikes can consistently pressure QB's off the edge which leads to turnovers, the reason the Jags don't force turnovers on D is because they can't generate consistent pressure, pressure leads to turnovers. The fact that this defense has been so good without generating a ton of pressure is a testament to coaching (yep I said it), talent, and the sheer athleticism on the defensive side of the ball. When the Jags find a dominant edge rusher opposite Yannick Ngakoue, lookout.

The offensive line has performed better than expected, especially in pass pro where they've been one of the better units in the NFL, we have 3 dynamic WR's, how many wins would the Jags have this year with average QB play? I think they'd be 8-2/7-3 ball club right now, the 2-10 record is not an indicator of how talented this team is, and if it solves the two problems (QB and head coach) this off-season, I expect this team to bounce back in a major way. Look for the Jags to shore up the offensive line in free agency, with Bengals G Kevin Zeilter being a primary target, he's one of the better G's in the league and would instantly upgrade our run game. I also expect (whoever the GM is ) to aggressively pursue the top edge rusher on the market, Chandler Jones would look great in a Jags uniform. I think we draft the best available defensive player in the 1st round, a defensive line that features Chandler Jones/Malik Jackson/Jon Allen/Yannick Ngakoue gives me chills. Again, I know its been a tough year, but this team is simply head coach and QB away from making a run, they have all the resources in the world in terms of money and draft capital to solve their problems and make a deep run in playoff next year.

I'm hoping we hit the lotto on draft picks and free agents this year because the team is already loaded with young talent and we have the ammo to add a lot more.

You add a big time competent coaching staff to that recipe and the Jaguars might actually meet some of the hype of the media from this past offseason
If it is Caldwell spending the money, what does it really matter? That guy couldn't sign a decent free agent if one fell out of the sky and landed on top of him.

Good cut some and sign Tyrod.   So can teach Blake how to throw a deep ball. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4