Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Distinct possibility this is the last time we'll see MJD in a Jags uniform at home on Sunday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
With the final home game this Sunday, we could be watching the end of the Maurice Jones-Drew era here in Jacksonville.  If he's not able to go on Sunday, then it would end with a whimper. 

MJD has been the face of this franchise through some pretty difficult years, and he's certainly provided Jaguar fans with a many fantastic memories.  If this is his last home game in teal and black, it's a shame, but that's the way things go in the NFL.

From my perspective, I'd like to see them work out a reasonable deal to keep Drew around, not as a feature back, but as the grizzled veteran who can still make a play here or there.  That kind of arrangement extended the career of Fred Taylor, and allowed MJD to develop into a feature back.  I'd like to see that process continue with MJD and his heir apparent as of today, Toddman. 

If what Caldwell and MJD have said in recent weeks is any indication, perhaps this won't be his last time in the stadium playing for the Jags.  But, if that doesn't come to fruition, I'll tip one back and thank Pocket Hercules for the memories. 

On a side note, this is most likely the last home game for Brad Meester.  While his play of late hasn't been spectacular, his entire body of work over the past dozen plus years is worth recognizing, and his contributions to this community are beyond compare.  Brad's a good guy, and a good ambassador for this organization.  His presence will be missed, albeit not as much on the field these days. 

Would be a shame if he didn't play in his final home game.

He is an all-time great in Jaguars history. The kickoff return against Pittsburgh in the playoffs is legendary in Jaguars lore.

Sadly all things come to an end.
I really hope not. But it is definitely a possibility. He still has some juice left in my opinion.
Very good chance this could be his last home game... I thing he will test the market and some team, that's close to making the play-off next year, might sign him to a bigger contract than the Jags will offer... there's several teams out there right now who could use his services who's in the play-offs...

If this his last year then he will go down as one of the best players the Jags have ever had in their short history... in his youth not to many RB's could do it all like MOJO did... either way, if he stays are goes, it's been a pleasure watching him on the field for our Jags...

Well said FBT...
I really doubt Gus or Caldwell will let go of MJD. You can tell they get along, and MJD still has juice in his tank. Plus, MJD's family wants to live here and he even stated " he wants to stay, and his agent will get it done. " Highly doubt he'll be gone.

Drew was one of the elite runners in the NFL in his prime.  He is still a good player with atleast a couple of good years still on him.  I hope the Jaguars and his agent can come to terms with a new contract.  MJD is a lock for the pride with his all time td mark for the Jags.

Quote:I really doubt Gus or Caldwell will let go of MJD. You can tell they get along, and MJD still has juice in his tank. Plus, MJD's family wants to live here and he even stated " he wants to stay, and his agent will get it done. " Highly doubt he'll be gone.
I think there's a good chance he remains in Jacksonville, but you never know. 
After MJD came on in the last few weeks, I share the hope that he returns. He didn't look like the MJD of 2008, not even the MJD of 2011, but his picking it up rather than completely going flat late in the year suggests he's got enough left in the tank to help out as a rotational guy.

That said, there are teams out there who seem to be serial collectors of aged running backs, with the idea that they can all be starters. The Patriots and Falcons both come to mind quickly as organizations that will take a shot at guys who seem to be running out of gas. I don't think anyone will be offering MJD a high-priced, long-term deal, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if a contending team that wants a veteran fallback option offers him a deal that, with the promise of a possible championship run, takes him out of town.

Meester was a very good player for a very long time, and I think that's forgotten because of how badly he's tailed off in the last few years. If he does retire, I hope he maintains some presence in Jacksonville.

I think Brad will play his last home game for the Jags Sunday... it will mark the end of an era as he's the last player left on the team that has played for all the Jags head coaches in their history... Brad has been a good a serviceable player for the team... his play the last couple of years has not been what it once was but the value he brings to the OL, by getting them in the right blocking schemes, has been overlook by a lot of fans...

If it is his last home game then thanks for the memories Brad...enjoy your family and your retirement...
meh, I wouldn't call him an all time great in Jacksonville. He was a bright spot in a pretty dark decade of football. I get some of the younger guys that didn't see the great teams of the 90's view him as an all time, but there's much better out there then what we've seen in Jacksonville over the last decade.

His arc was small and came to an end pretty quick, I think he'll do great as a broadcaster, he was always good for TV interviews and works the camera well. Good luck moving forward MJD it's time for us to move on as well.

For sure this is it for Brad Meester and in a way it's the official end to the TC era. Symbolic in a way. I'm pretty confident that MJD will be brought back though, so I'm not to concerned about that.

Quote:With the final home game this Sunday, we could be watching the end of the Maurice Jones-Drew era here in Jacksonville.  If he's not able to go on Sunday, then it would end with a whimper. 

MJD has been the face of this franchise through some pretty difficult years, and he's certainly provided Jaguar fans with a many fantastic memories.  If this is his last home game in teal and black, it's a shame, but that's the way things go in the NFL.

From my perspective, I'd like to see them work out a reasonable deal to keep Drew around, not as a feature back, but as the grizzled veteran who can still make a play here or there.  That kind of arrangement extended the career of Fred Taylor, and allowed MJD to develop into a feature back.  I'd like to see that process continue with MJD and his heir apparent as of today, Toddman. 

If what Caldwell and MJD have said in recent weeks is any indication, perhaps this won't be his last time in the stadium playing for the Jags.  But, if that doesn't come to fruition, I'll tip one back and thank Pocket Hercules for the memories. 

On a side note, this is most likely the last home game for Brad Meester.  While his play of late hasn't been spectacular, his entire body of work over the past dozen plus years is worth recognizing, and his contributions to this community are beyond compare.  Brad's a good guy, and a good ambassador for this organization.  His presence will be missed, albeit not as much on the field these days.
As an Grizzled veteran to make a play here or there we must have an RB that is primed to take over the load that MJD has endured for the past several years. Todman isn't ready for this as of yet. If we acquire a RB within the 2014 draft that can surplant MoJo, I'm All In.

Keep MoJo as the featured back and when/if he's surpassed...So Be It...

We Must Have his reliable replacement prior to Jettisoning him...

NH3...
Quote:meh, I wouldn't call him an all time great in Jacksonville. He was a bright spot in a pretty dark decade of football. I get some of the younger guys that didn't see the great teams of the 90's view him as an all time, but there's much better out there then what we've seen in Jacksonville over the last decade.

His arc was small and came to an end pretty quick, I think he'll do great as a broadcaster, he was always good for TV interviews and works the camera well. Good luck moving forward MJD it's time for us to move on as well.

I strongly disagree. MJD has been the face of the franchise for about five years now. He's made some incredibly clutch plays and is the only Jag to ever lead the league in rushing. I really hope he can keep chugging and get to 10k. He belongs in the pride as much as anyone.
Quote:meh, I wouldn't call him an all time great in Jacksonville. He was a bright spot in a pretty dark decade of football. I get some of the younger guys that didn't see the great teams of the 90's view him as an all time, but there's much better out there then what we've seen in Jacksonville over the last decade.

I'm not sure what he'd need to do to clear the bar you've set, but MJD is easily top 10 all time Jags in my mind.  I could possibly make the case for top 5.
Quote:I strongly disagree. MJD has been the face of the franchise for about five years now. He's made some incredibly clutch plays and is the only Jag to ever lead the league in rushing. I really hope he can keep chugging and get to 10k. He belongs in the pride as much as anyone.

I don't mean this in a bad way at all so please don't take it like that but how old are you?

As for the pride I think MJD as a prime player was to short lived that said they put mark in so I could see MJD going in one day.
Quote:I'm not sure what he'd need to do to clear the bar you've set, but MJD is easily top 10 all time Jags in my mind. I could possibly make the case for top 5.

But top 10 on a team that's pretty much had 3 eras isn't anything that great. MJD was Elite for about 2 years and then above average for a few years and now at best a backup. In comparison Fred Taylor didn't drop off his game like MJD has until year 10 or 11
Quote:But top 10 on a team that's pretty much had 3 eras isn't anything that great. MJD was Elite for about 2 years and then above average for a few years and now at best a backup. In comparison Fred Taylor didn't drop off his game like MJD has until year 10 or 11

Again, I think a case could be made for top 5, but even still the guy said he was an all-time great Jaguar.  I don't know how anyone top 10 or 5 in their franchise could not make that cut.  If you want to argue that being a top 10 or 5 player for the Jags doesn't mean much, well go ahead I guess, but I think MJD is an all-time great Jaguar.  You say he was elite for 2 years, I think he was great almost the entire time, most of it while defenses ignored everybody else on the field.
Quote:I don't mean this in a bad way at all so please don't take it like that but how old are you?

As for the pride I think MJD as a prime player was to short lived that said they put mark in so I could see MJD going in one day.

He split carries his first few years. I think that cost him some numbers, but to call his prime short lived is a bit unfair. Most running backs don't last long.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5