Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: On the fence about Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
No doubt bortles has played like a total bum this year and really under achieved.  Serious question marks on the mental aspect of his game.  He lacks basic form that is really hurting his game.  That being said there are some things to love about him.

-Horrible Form: This guy makes byron leftwich look like dan marino.  Throws a really ugly ball before and after the ball is released.

-Terrible decision making:  It's almost automatic he is going to turn the ball over at a key point in the game

-Accuracy is bad. He does not make many easy throws.

+Tough: You can't really coach this.  He will stay in the pocket and take a hit.  Does use his legs and runs with power.

+Good Arm: The few times he does get a clean release he has thrown some good deep balls

+Athletic: Can move for a big guy

Despite Allen  Robinson developing butter fingers and Allen Hurns falling off a cliff he is still on pace to throw for 4,000 and 20+ TD's.  I think competition has to be brought in either through FA or Draft.  Make him earn the starting job next season. He is not consistent.

I remain unwilling to dump any player who is burdened with Gus as the coach. The problems on this team start and end with him.

Gus didn't make Bortles throw like Tebow. Bortles sucks bc he ain't good.
Quote:I remain unwilling to dump any player who is burdened with Gus as the coach. The problems on this team start and end with him.

This. We've seen pro bowlers turn into average at best under Gus. I give pretty much everyone another year with a new staff
Let me help you off the fence. Blake Bortles is NOT a franchise QB. Period. The sooner we moove on the better.

Quote:No doubt bortles has played like a total bum this year and really under achieved.  Serious question marks on the mental aspect of his game.  He lacks basic form that is really hurting his game.  That being said there are some things to love about him.

-Horrible Form: This guy makes byron leftwich look like dan marino.  Throws a really ugly ball before and after the ball is released.

-Terrible decision making:  It's almost automatic he is going to turn the ball over at a key point in the game

+Tough: You can't really coach this.  He will stay in the pocket and take a hit.  Does use his legs and runs with power.

+Good Arm: The few times he does get a clean release he has thrown some good deep balls

Despite Allen  Robinson developing butter fingers and Allen Hurns falling off a cliff he is still on pace to throw for 4,000 and 20+ TD's.  I think competition has to be brought in either through FA or Draft.  Make him earn the starting job next season. He is not consistent.

His mechanics have been slightly better since Hackett took over play calls and had him focus on fundamentals, I think with Bortles he needs to work harder on fundamentals than he does the offense.  Focus for a couple more years on cleaning up his throwing motion and the rest will follow.  I feel like most of his issues are in that department more so than they are him not understanding play calling or reading defenses.  Get him a better line to help with that and get him back on track.  
Quote:No doubt bortles has played like a total bum this year and really under achieved.  Serious question marks on the mental aspect of his game.  He lacks basic form that is really hurting his game.  That being said there are some things to love about him.

Atleast he doesn't self sack like Goobert did.  You can't label him a wussy that's for sure.
Gus was the coach last season and Bortles was off the charts.

Same coach in 2016, different results. Blake sucks because his arm is gone. He's torn something or injured....or he's just broke.

Can't blame coaching.
Bortles thread number 500?

Why do people want to get rid of him? Sure bring in competition and if he gets beat out you can have him on the bench.

Way Too talented to just give away. Particularly when our backup is Henne
the positives you listed are significantly less important than the negatives he isnt good at.
Quote:Gus was the coach last season and Bortles was off the charts.

Same coach in 2016, different results. Blake sucks because his arm is gone. He's torn something or injured....or he's just broke.

Can't blame coaching.

No, last offseason he worked extensively with non-Gus coaches, this year he didn't. The Gus Funk is real.
Quote:Why do people want to get rid of him? Sure bring in competition and if he gets beat out you can have him on the bench.

Way Too talented to just give away. Particularly when our backup is Henne

Because everyone is to blame.
Give him another full off season with tom house working on fundamentals, shave his damn head so he isnt so self conscious about his baldness and give the dude a good OLine. No Qbs worth drafting in the 1st next year.
This thread should be called 'on the fence about the jags'.
Quote:Give him another full off season with tom house working on fundamentals, shave his damn head so he isnt so self conscious about his baldness and give the dude a good OLine. No Qbs worth drafting in the 1st next year.

How about offensive lineman?
They're not going to dump him and anyone who thinks so is delusional.  Will he start...maybe...maybe not.  But he'll be on this team through is rookie contract at the very least.

Quote:They're not going to dump him and anyone who thinks so is delusional.  Will he start...maybe...maybe not.  But he'll be on this team through is rookie contract at the very least.

Truth. ^

No upside in dumping a guy that's shown such a high number of "flashes" but seriously needs someone to sort out his technique. 

Let him compete in camp and focus on fixing his bad habits with a new staff. 
I don't see any fence...what NYC said.

Let him fix the stuff wrong....and compete.

Then we'll all see.

That is if he wants to hang around.

Can we expel the myth that Blake Bortles has a good arm?

You contradict yourself when you say, he throws wobbly, inaccurate passes and then say he has a "good arm"

Draft pundits started throwing out the Roethlisberger comparisons but he's more Tim Tebow than Big Ben

Pages: 1 2 3 4