Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Attendance the elephant in the room
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Sent a couple questions to the Ozone, I guess he didn't want to recognize or talk about the emptiness of the stadium yesterday.  But as I understand it low attendance is Khan's out of the lease with the city.  I was shocked at how empty the stadium was yesterday, especially that's it's still only October.  How will the stadium look in December?  What I am wondering is, does Khan expect Jacksonville to support such terrible football?

what was the official attendance?

It looked empty early on, and empty late, but around the 2nd quarter it was OK.  Not good, mind you, but OK.

More people are showing up later and leaving early.  Don't blame em.

Quote:what was the official attendance?

It looked empty early on, and empty late, but around the 2nd quarter it was OK.  Not good, mind you, but OK.

More people are showing up later and leaving early.  Don't blame em.
Yeah, I don't blame anyone for not being there or not "supporting the (this) team."  I just wonder what Khan expects?
Attendance: 59,550

so about 2k less than last year's average.

Not good, but also not terrible.  People are showing up, but they're not glued to their seats watching.  People leave early.
59,000 official  -  but I think that's just tickets sold -  not actual turnstile numbers.  I wasn't there so I couldn't give you a very good estimate - but from the various camera angles I saw at times when most would still be there and not off on a half-time concession run  - I'd guess between 49-52K.

Can someone who attended give us a better estimate?

Quote:59,000 official  -  but I think that's just tickets sold -  not actual turnstile numbers.  I wasn't there so I couldn't give you a very good estimate - but from the various camera angles I saw at times when most would still be there and not off on a half-time concession run  - I'd guess between 49-52K.

I think the 59,000 is pretty accurate.  As I said, in the 2nd quarter it didn't look that bad.  I've definitely seen worse.

1st quarter and after halftime was much worse, just because people knew it was another loss and they got out of there quickly.
One more year should do it. 

Quote:59,000 official  -  but I think that's just tickets sold -  not actual turnstile numbers.  I wasn't there so I couldn't give you a very good estimate - but from the various camera angles I saw at times when most would still be there and not off on a half-time concession run  - I'd guess between 49-52K.

7,000-10,000 who thought it wasn't worth going to with the ticket already paid for.........ouch!

From what I could see your numbers look about right.
Quote:Sent a couple questions to the Ozone, I guess he didn't want to recognize or talk about the emptiness of the stadium yesterday. But as I understand it low attendance is Khan's out of the lease with the city. I was shocked at how empty the stadium was yesterday, especially that's it's still only October. How will the stadium look in December? What I am wondering is, does Khan expect Jacksonville to support such terrible football?

It's an awful product on the field. Who really wants to pay to watch your own team get destroyed?

Even the die hards leave by the 3rd quarter
Quote:7,000-10,000 who thought it wasn't worth going to with the ticket already paid for.........ouch!

From what I could see your numbers look about right.
Well - I wasn't implying that many straight up "no-shows."   I'd guess 3-4  thousand or so  empty seats were bought last minute to avoid blackout - and maybe 1 or 2 thousand no shows.  Important to consider many of the actual no-shows may be paying nothing - next to nothing for those seats through employer perks and giveaways. 

Again I wasn't there - and maybe there weren't 7,000 empty seats during the middle of the second quarter  - but I  definitely noticed some non-premium sections that are normally quite full looking abnormally scant on the broadcast. 
I've been to every game this year. It was the same yesterday as it's been all year. I haven't noticed a drop-off in attendance. People got up and left about the time you switched the channel.

It's miserable sitting there in the heat when there is no chance of victory or even seeing anything to get excited about.
59,950 box score attendance which is a heck of a number for a team that has performed as poorly as ours.

Throughout NFL history EVERY single team has gone through attendance slumps via mediocrity. EVERY team has felt it's effects. Even Green Bay at one point moved some regular season games to Milwaukee Municipal as strategy to pump up the bottom line.

I am a proud Jax native and am very proud at our unconditional support of our Jags. We have proven we are a true football town in the heart and soul of football country. We are battered and bludgeoned as a fan base and are fighting for our team.

No embarrassing elephant stalking here. Many kudos to Jag fans that attend knowing defeat is pending. Everbank when electrified is one of the best sporting atmospheres in the world and the fans sacrificing during these barren seasons will carry us to glory days in the future where we will be galvanized earning much respect form our NFL brethren.
The Chargers might know a thing or two about not being able to sell tickets, oddly you never really hear a peep about it nationally.  

Quote:Well - I wasn't implying that many straight up "no-shows."   I'd guess 3-4  thousand or so  empty seats were bought last minute to avoid blackout - and maybe 1 or 2 thousand no shows.  Important to consider many of the actual no-shows may be paying nothing - next to nothing for those seats through employer perks and giveaways. 

Again I wasn't there - and maybe there weren't 7,000 empty seats during the middle of the second quarter  - but I  definitely noticed some non-premium sections that are normally quite full looking abnormally scant on the broadcast. 
I haven't heard anything in the news this year about about a team purchase to avoid blackout(s).  Have I just missed it, or is that information being withheld now?
Quote:I haven't heard anything in the news this year about about a team purchase to avoid blackout(s).  Have I just missed it, or is that information being withheld now?

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-align:left;"> 

Quote:<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-align:left;">Lamping said the Jaguars won’t have any TV blackouts for the fourth consecutive season, even though they’re currently behind last year’s pace.

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:helvetica, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);text-align:left;">He can make that guarantee because teams can write a check for 34 percent of the cost of the unsold non-premium seats to avoid blackouts.

I don't think they are required to disclose whether they do that ^ or not. 
Quote:The Chargers might know a thing or two about not being able to sell tickets, oddly you never really hear a peep about it nationally.  
Good point. The NFL has a league wide problem of getting fans to the stadium. Tickets are being sold and fans still are leaving seats empty. This is not just a Jax issue. San Diego, St Louis , Tampa, Oakland, Miami, Buffalo,NY Jets and Washington all are drawing less than 93.4 % of capacity, and that is tickets sold, a good percentage are not even showing up as clubs attempt to buy out enough tickets to avoid blackouts. Watch a Dolphins game last year? Crowds were so sparse it looked like about 25K fans there. This year Miami has faired better with success but still looks like a sea of orange plastic seats quite often.

Another reason to applaud Khan, he recognizes this issue and is putting his money where his mouth is to fix it instead of living in denial and blaming the fans like certain members of the NFL hierarchy. Interesting how the NFL head shed wants a team in LA when 2 out of 3 Cali teams are struggling to support there teams. This proves to me their attendance alibi is a sham. They want TV ratings and merchandise sales which we will give them if they allow our young franchise to grow up and establish a Pittsburgh or Green Bay type following. Combined with Khan's aggressive marketing and international vision this will be accomplished.

i can tell you right now it wasn't 59,000.  I would say it was around 50,000.  It could have been lower.  But I mean come on, people don't go to see 0-7 football teams.  They just don't.

This was the worst it has been all year. 

Quote: 

I don't think they are required to disclose whether they do that ^ or not. 

I don't think it's required, but it was done in past years when the team was under Weaver's control.  Apparently Kahn doesn't want to publicly admit attendance may be down.
Quote:I don't think it's required, but it was done in past years when the team was under Weaver's control.  Apparently Kahn doesn't want to publicly admit attendance may be down.

The Jaguars (and most NFL teams) have announced "tickets distributed" well before Khan bought the team. But nice try.
Quote:But as I understand it low attendance is Khan's out of the lease with the city.

Please point us to the part of the lease that says this
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5