Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What Are Some Of The "promising" Signs That Caldwell Will Break The Trend Of Bad Gm's Here
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Ok, we've tossed around ideas for what to look for to identify a "bad" or "failing" GM....

Lets look at this from the opposite point of the spectrum....

What moves (if any) has Caldwell done so far that give you optimism that unlike Gene & Shack, Caldwell will turn out to be pretty good?

I'll even go first....

I like that Caldwell has found some inexpensive free agents that seem like they can play - and none of them were "obvious" acquisitions. 

Its one thing to do what Gene Smith did and overpay for players like Poz/ Landry/ Session, and get some production out of them, but when you find guys like Marks, Ball, Will Blackmon and they all produce well for you, and they make peanuts, THOSE are not easy additions to find. 

I'll even add another one....

I like that Caldwell took Joeckel despite knowing the pick might not be a popular one amongst the fan base. 

IMO, the Joeckel pick was absolutely the right pick to make there because he was the best prospect overall in that draft. Better than Lane Johnson, better than Fisher; better than any QB in that draft. 

Not spending big in FA because we were gonna suck anyway

Not re-signing Cox and Knighton

Sticking to his plan without caring about what people/fans say

Presently ?  The team has been built to lose, with hopes to improve. With time. But I'll reserve judgement until next years draft  and FA market is over. It is waaay to early to either see success or failure in a GM, who has been hired to build a team, and have a plenty of time to do it.

Joeckel pick wasn't exactly a "wow..what a steal" pick. The good picks are ones in the later rounds that pan out. Like not taking a kicker in the 3rd.  The first couple rounds should be the "easy" picks. Of course, that hasn't happened here in a few years. Two 'franchise" QBS...Leftwich/Gabbert...who went high in the 1st round, set us back.  Those two hurt. Now, will the third time be the charm, or will it be strike three ? Fingers crossed.

He appears to draft very well and, imo, hasn't made any headscratching moves.  And yes, i include the Monroe trade in that opinion.  Next years draft will make or break us.

I give him credit for getting two draft picks for a player he was not going to re-sign.

Quote:I give him credit for getting two draft picks for a player he was not going to re-sign.

trollin'
Nice try guy. Not everybody is going to buy into your act. Caldwell clearly had no plans to keep Monroe after this year. He was able to get a 4th and a 5th for a player he was not bringing back. That's a savvy move. And what he got is the market value. Last year the best offer the Chiefs got for Albert was a third. That third was traded by Miami for two fourth rounders. So Albert's market value was two fourths, the Jaguars got a fourth and a fifth. Sorry that you have some sort of inflated delusion of Monroe's actual value. You delusion means nothing.

Quote:Nice try guy. Not everybody is going to buy into your act. Caldwell clearly had no plans to keep Monroe after this year. He was able to get a 4th and a 5th for a player he was not bringing back. That's a savvy move. And what he got is the market value. Last year the best offer the Chiefs got for Albert was a third. That third was traded by Miami for two fourth rounders. So Albert's market value was two fourths, the Jaguars got a fourth and a fifth. Sorry that you have some sort of inflated delusion of Monroe's actual value. You delusion means nothing.

This
Quote:Nice try guy. Not everybody is going to buy into your act. Caldwell clearly had no plans to keep Monroe after this year. He was able to get a 4th and a 5th for a player he was not bringing back. That's a savvy move. And what he got is the market value. Last year the best offer the Chiefs got for Albert was a third. That third was traded by Miami for two fourth rounders. So Albert's market value was two fourths, the Jaguars got a fourth and a fifth. Sorry that you have some sort of inflated delusion of Monroe's actual value. You delusion means nothing.

I'd have taken a 3rd for Monroe. 3rd rounders statistically have a better chance of turning into a good player than 4th & 5th rounders. 

you can try to "rationalize" the 2 pick nonsense all you want. 

Doing the opposite of what TMD wants him to do.

Quote:trollin'
Not trolling. He's right.
Quote:Doing the opposite of what TMD wants him to do.

Yeah....thats worked out for Shack & Gene, right?.... :wacko: 
Quote:Yeah....thats worked out for Shack & Gene, right?.... :wacko:
I can't believe you actually just said this.

Wow. Just wow.
Quote:I'd have taken a 3rd for Monroe. 3rd rounders statistically have a better chance of turning into a good player than 4th & 5th rounders. 

you can try to "rationalize" the 2 pick nonsense all you want. 

Or they could have let him walk for nothing. That would have been a "promising" sign right?
Quote:trollin'
This is the most asinine thing you could say.  You have your opinions, others have thiers. Because you have an opinion on this does not make it the right or wrong opinion.

I'll side with the GM who didn't get to that position by being an idiot, and i'm sure understands the value of Monroe, with 12 games remaining, amongst the rest of the NFLs GMs a whole lot better than you.  You have not insight whatsoever to his real value or what actually went down. 
Quote:Doing the opposite of what TMD wants him to do.

wow
Quote:Or they could have let him walk for nothing. That would have been a "promising" sign right?

It would never have come to that (and you know that) .... Its called the "franchise tag". 
The truth of it is, As bad as Gene Smith was, He knows more about scouting talent and can judge talent alot better then you. If you could you would be working for a NFL team. The worst scout in the leauge is probably better at scouting talent then you. 
Quote:I can't believe you actually just said this.

Wow. Just wow.

I dont think you meant that, but I get your point. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5