Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If We Go 0-16 Does Bradley Lose His Job?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am giving Gus a pass this year but I got to thinking today what type of position would Caldwell be in having to give a coach another year that has yet to win an NFL game?

What would you do if you were Caldwell? I know we are a bad team but we are not even close to winning a game. Even the most sorriest players are still the best on the planet. When is it time to point the finger at the head coach?

I would be hard pressed to bring back an 0-16 head coach.
No, I don't see Gus being a one and done coach even if we go 0-16 nor should he be. I'd have more issues with Caldwell then Gus if this team goes 0-16.....

Unless Gus Bradley totally loses the team,  which likely won't happen,    I think it would be a huge mistake for the Jaguars to start over yet again.     While lack of enough experienced talent is the # 1 current issue with the team,    all of the changes in systems and coordinators have made the situation that much worse.    Continuity is an important part of a long term winning formula.    

Quote:Unless Gus Bradley totally loses the team,  which likely won't happen,    I think it would be a huge mistake for the Jaguars to start over yet again.     While lack of enough experienced talent is the # 1 current issue with the team,    all of the changes in systems and coordinators have made the situation that much worse.    Continuity is an important part of a long term winning formula.    

^^ this we have to have some consistency in this organization, this top to bottom change over every year will get us no where fast.
No, nor should he

Gus is and should be safe this year.

If anything we'll probably not retain Jedd Fisch (no matter how much people keep saying that he has the worst QB in the league, I imagine this was a trial run, and that a new QB will bring some good candidates for the Offensive Coordinator Position.)  I believe someone said he was on a one year contract?

Firing a coach after one season is sometimes necessary -- Mularkey was an example.  He was tied to our previous General Manager, had a history of being bad, and had made Blaine Gabbert into a scapegoat.  Bradley however is sticking firm with his decisions, not trying to deflect responsibility, and is a first-time coach that will have a chance to improve this team.

Plus I'm sure if Khan told Caldwell that he was expected to keep Mularkey on, D'Brickshaw Ferguson would be a Raven right now  :whistling:

No. If you think this team isn't in a full out tank then you're kidding yourself. I'm sure the plan has been relayed from Caldwell to Khan and was likely a stipulation of him accepting the job here.

No

if he keeps sticking with gabbert he should. i mean seriously? enough is enough.

By him sticking with Gabbert he is basically saying 0-16 is fine with me. Id atleast like to see us win a game this year.
No, and he shouldn't be. He and Caldwell inherited a roster that was completely devoid of talent. Some of the decisions Caldwell's made have been eyebrow-raising, to say the least, but jumping to our fifth head coach in four years (Del Rio, Tucker, Mularkey, Bradley, next coach) would be a knee-jerk reaction to a problem that was, clearly, far more severe than even the most nay of the naysayers on here imagined.

Now, if we go 0-16 again next year...

I like Gus, but do we want rookie coaches bringing up Bridgewater? Or vets who have done it before.. I say keep Gus and bring in Vet OC/QBC

No he wont.. But he really need to be a coach and just bench Gabbert because hes not doing his job!
It's an interesting question.   My current thinking is that Gus will have half a season next year to prove he can coach an NFL team. 

My question is, is tanking a season a legitimate strategy?  Is making the team worse in the short term really a good way to make the team better in the long term?  I know teams have tanked and gotten better before, but going 0-16 has to damage team morale badly.   How does a coach maintain his credibility with the players if all they do is lose?  No matter how much the players like Gus, the one thing they want is to win.  Players don't want to be part of a grand plan to tank a season.  

And how about Shad Khan's stated goal of building an overseas fan base?   Going 0-16 has to conflict with that. 

There are teams that are perennially good, never tank a season, and that almost never have a losing season.  It's awfully convenient to say all this losing is the side effect of a grand plan, that this is the way to "do it right."   But is it really? 

Quote:No, and he shouldn't be. He and Caldwell inherited a roster that was completely devoid of talent.

And made it worse.  
Quote:There are teams that are perennially good, never tank a season, and that almost never have a losing season.  It's awfully convenient to say all this losing is the side effect of a grand plan, that this is the way to "do it right."   But is it really? 

Most people would count the Colts as an example of one of those teams, until recently. Then they tanked for Luck, and now they're on the up again.

Did they deliberately tank? Probably not. But I'll bet you they weren't disappointed with the result.
Quote:What would you do if you were Caldwell? I know we are a bad team but we are not even close to winning a game. Even the most sorriest players are still the best on the planet. When is it time to point the finger at the head coach?

I would be hard pressed to bring back an 0-16 head coach.

I'd cut the guy a break. This roster is young and lacking in NFL experience. Give him a chance to work with a couple draft classes and the wins will start coming in for Gus Bradley. If they don't after two or three seasons, then yeah cut the guy loose. But this is a rebuild, so even a Bill Belichick would be hard pressed to get a win. 

Deep breaths, and let's back our coach and GM all the way. 
I honestly don't have a big problem with our HC.  The team came out on fire today.  You have to admit that the 1 first quarter looked very good, on both sides of the ball.

I would like to see some of his coaching staff replaced after this season.  I'm very skeptical of our OC.  But we still have 11 games to go.  Maybe we'll continue to see improvement.  If by the end of the season we see a coaching staff that looks competent, then I would be happy to see all return.

It really does come down to player development and creating a game plan that keeps the opponents on thier knees and is dynamic.

On the D side, I don't know why they aren't being more agressive and mixing up the play calls.

On the O side, we have WR's with talent, even the TE caught a few good catches in the flat and intermdedate stuff..  We need to focus on that.  MJD looks out of shape to me and can't sustain a good run game with the lack of run blocking. 

11 games, I'm hoping we show  some good offense for at least 2 quarters against the Broncos...  Maybe scoring 17-20 points and just keep getting better.  That's what should be the focus of this team.  Player development, and coaching development as well.

No. And there has already been threads about this.

No, they are tanking.  Gus Bradley is not the problem right now.

Pages: 1 2 3