Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is The Defense Really Better?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
First let's debunk the whole defense is on the field more excuse. Through the first 5 games this season our opponents time of possession has averaged 33(min):56(seconds). Last season through 5 games our opponents average time of possession was 34(min):02(seconds) for the entire 2012 season our opponents time of possession average was 33(min):12(seconds) so this defense is actually on the field LESS then our defense last year to this point in the season, about the same as last year for an average.

Now let's look at production:

Through 5 games we've allowed 1110 yards passing that's an average of (222 yards per game) and 815 yards rushing (160 yards per game)

Last year we averaged out at 240 yards passing per game allowed and 141 yards rushing per game allowed. Rushing attempts lay about flat last year the average was 34 rushing attempts against us per game through 5 games where at 33 attempts. So we're giving up another 20 rushing and taking back 20 in the air, call it a wash.

Look at the teams we've played, Kansas City(Alex Smith, Jamal Charles) Oakland (Pryor, McFadden) Colts ( Luck, Brown) Seattle( Wilson, Lynch) and now Rams (Bradford, Richardson)

vs

Last year we played 5 games against, Vikings (Ponder, Peterson) Houston (Schaub, Foster) Colts (Luck, Brown) Bengals (Dalton, Green-Elis) Bears (Cutler, Forte)

Last years competition was much better then this years and the numbers are about the same, imagine this squad against the Bengals or Bears? Has this defense really improved?

My point stands messing with the defense was a bad call on Caldwell. It was obvious we needed help on the offensive side of the ball. We spent this past off season changing the defense around and what do we have to show for it?

Also look at the scoring we've allowed 163 points in 5 games that's an average of 32.6 points per game.

Last year into 5 games we allowed 138 points in 5 games for an average of 27.6 points per game. On the season we only averaged 27.75 points per game.

Again I don't see the improvement, and we spent an entire offseason on this side of the ball?

We cannot stop the run.

Quote:We cannot stop the run.

Hard to argue the facts

5foot7

Quote:Also look at the scoring we've allowed 163 points in 5 games that's an average of 32.6 points per game.

Last year into 5 games we allowed 138 points in 5 games for an average of 27.6 points per game. On the season we only averaged 27.75 points per game.

Again I don't see the improvement, and we spent an entire offseason on this side of the ball

The fact that Gratz is hurt, and we have two rookies as our safeties...I'd say these stats are absolutely outstanding. 
Quote:The fact that Gratz is hurt, and we have two rookies as our safeties...I'd say these stats are absolutely outstanding. 

We had injuries last year, you really think these stats are outstanding? You think this kind of progress was worth an entire off season?
Cyprien is good. Gratz will be good. Harris and Josh Evans are g oing to be good. Marks is very good.

Those are the best players on our defense. But they can't do everything.

We desperately need a pass rush.  All of those stats you mention will improve dramatically if we can consistent pressure on the QB.

5foot7

Quote:We had injuries last year, you really think these stats are outstanding? You think this kind of progress was worth an entire off season?

I think we have outstanding young players on defense and it is an excellent start for a rebuilding. Caldwell did excellent in his first draft. We have a sure-fire guy at safety and #1 cornerback for years to come. And it'll be supplemented by a pass rush soon. 
Until they can stop the run and get more pressure on the quarterback.... it'll continue to be bad.  

You can't possibly ignore the number of times opposing offenses have been given the football within 40 yards of the end zone, though.  

That's shooting ourselves in the foot bigtime. 

No, it is not.

Quote:Until they can stop the run and get more pressure on the quarterback.... it'll continue to be bad.  

You can't possibly ignore the number of times opposing offenses have been given the football within 40 yards of the end zone, though.  

That's shooting ourselves in the foot bigtime. 

Not ignoring it at all, but it's the same offense as last year, the time of possession is almost identical to last year. I agree with people saying a pass rush would desperately help, so why did we ignore it this off season? Did we really think Babin and moving Alualu outside was the answer?
Quote:I think we have outstanding young players on defense and it is an excellent start for a rebuilding. Caldwell did excellent in his first draft. We have a sure-fire guy at safety and #1 cornerback for years to come. And it'll be supplemented by a pass rush soon. 

What about Gratz lets you say he's a #1 CB he hasn't had any significant playing time yet? we hope he's a #1 corner that is yet to be seen.

5foot7

Quote:Not ignoring it at all, but it's the same offense as last year, the time of possession is almost identical to last year. I agree with people saying a pass rush would desperately help, so why did we ignore it this off season? Did we really think Babin and moving Alualu outside was the answer?

Because Caldwell thought their were better players to be taken. If we had gotten equal level d-line guys at those positions (by the way, there weren't any on the board) you'd be pissing and moaning about having UDFAs at all 4 DB positions.
Quote:Cyprien is good. Gratz will be good. Harris and Josh Evans are g oing to be good. Marks is very good.

Those are the best players on our defense. But they can't do everything.

We desperately need a pass rush.  All of those stats you mention will improve dramatically if we can consistent pressure on the QB.

That's what we said last year
Quote:Because Caldwell thought their were better players to be taken. If we had gotten equal level d-line guys at those positions (by the way, there weren't any on the board) you'd be [BAD WORD REMOVED] and moaning about having UDFAs at all 4 DB positions.

I find it humorous you assume I'd be moaning about any move the franchise takes.
Maybe not overall but there are brighter spots.

Will Blackmon is a good young corner that may end up being a long term starter for us.  He is pretty good in pass coverage and rarely gets beat.  He got burnt for a td against the rams but plays well most of the time.

Cyprien:  He is getting better.  A good young safety that knows how to hit and will do nothing but improve.  Good Stuff

Marks:  Better than any defensive linemen on last years team.  Good pass rusher in the interior of the line

Poz:  Poz seems better in pass protection this year.  Good tackler and decent in the pass game.  Good MLB

Gratz:  Was looking very good before the injury.  Should be a solid starter for us when healthy
Quote:That's what we said last year
True.  And if Joeckel or Cyprien turn out to be a bust - then we'll have a complaint.  Here's hoping they take a pass rusher in the 2nd round next year. 
Our pass rush is bad, but it's actually a lot better than last year. We had 20 sacks all of last year. Through 5 games, we already have 10. We're on pace for 32 sacks.

Quote:Our pass rush is bad, but it's actually a lot better than last year. We had 20 sacks all of last year. Through 5 games, we already have 10. We're on pace for 32 sacks.

There's a bright spot I've overlooked! That is encouraging!
I wouldn't say we focused on defense this offseason really.  If anything there was more balance (more so than in most years with Gene's Myth)

But some of the points can be attributed to Gabbert becoming an interception machine.  Through 5 games last year, he threw 3 interceptions.  Through 5 games this year he's thrown 7.  And he didn't even play in two of those games!  

I'd say our Defense is about equal to last year's.  A little worse stat wise.  I think in the long run we'll see an improvement because of the choices made.  I don't think our Defense would be doing much better with Derek Cox and Pot Roast.  Maybe Darryl Smith (But he wasn't part of last year's defense very much).  

Next week is the scary week.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5