Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: DeShaun Watson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What were people's impressions of him? I know he was under duress all game, but he looked terribad from what I saw. Elated we passed on him in the draft
Can't hit the broadside of a barn.
Exactly what I thought he was, a poor man's RG3.

Houston might just clean house after this year thanks to that move to get him. Going to be tough finding a new GM thanks to it, too. They gave up next year's (high) first round pick to take him. Super stupid.
He was tossed into an impossible situation. But he did not look good at all. A few decent passes but most of them were on safe routes.
Tom Savage was happy to get out of game
I thought he looked Tyrod Taylor-ish. It took a few plays for the Jags to adjust but then he was running for his life and making poor throws. With that said, he still gives the texans a better chance than Savage.
It's hard to exactly judge a kid like that who was thrown into a game against a D that was playing as hellacious and vicious as the Jags were doing. He didn't look great, but part of that was BECAUSE their Oline was losing men, having to replace guards....against Malik and Calais, the poor guy didn't get much of a pocket to throw in, exactly. He was in trouble from the start.

Maybe I'm being too nice, I don't know. If the Texans can give him some protection and time to look for open receivers, and get some receivers to help him out, it's possible he becomes a decent QB. Again, after a game like that, it's hard to say for a certainty what can happen. I don't think he's going to be an RG3, though. I think he'll be somewhat better than that, at the very least.
(09-11-2017, 03:37 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to exactly judge a kid like that who was thrown into a game against a D that was playing as hellacious and vicious as the Jags were doing. He didn't look great, but part of that was BECAUSE their Oline was losing men, having to replace guards....against Malik and Calais, the poor guy didn't get much of a pocket to throw in, exactly. He was in trouble from the start.

Maybe I'm being too nice, I don't know. If the Texans can give him some protection and time to look for open receivers, and get some receivers to  help him out, it's possible he becomes a decent QB. Again, after a game like that, it's hard to say for a certainty what can happen.  I don't think he's going to be an RG3, though.  I think he'll be somewhat better than that, at the very least.

Some Jaguars fans rip Bortles for his off target throws, but he looks like Tom Brady compared to Watson
(09-11-2017, 03:10 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]What were people's impressions of him? I know he was under duress all game, but he looked terribad from what I saw. Elated we passed on him in the draft

Deshaun Watson was not on the field all game. I could not watch most of the third quarter, but what I did see was a QB who will easily avoid sacks against weaker defensive lines by the end of the season. Like others said, it is not fair to judge him based on being put in a bad situation after being the default backup since he was drafted.
(09-11-2017, 03:51 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2017, 03:10 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]What were people's impressions of him? I know he was under duress all game, but he looked terribad from what I saw. Elated we passed on him in the draft

Deshaun Watson was not on the field all game. I could not watch most of the third quarter, but what I did see was a QB who will easily avoid sacks against weaker defensive lines by the end of the season. Like others said, it is not fair to judge him based on being put in a bad situation after being the default backup since he was drafted.

You didn't see the drive. The ref bailed the texans out multiple times with bad foul calls. One was so bad that came on a third and twenty that wasn't converted the TV guys didn't know what to say. If the refs called the game fair it would have been a shutout.
(09-11-2017, 03:51 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]

it was a TD sustained by penalties and the jags adjusted to the mobile QB,  I am sure if he gets out that pocket more often, he will be as good as RG3
turned out from a medical aspect
he doesn't seem to have the accuracy or arm strength for much beyond 15 yards. Moves pretty well in the pocket but until he starts to connect on things down field people are going to start jumping underneath routes.
(09-11-2017, 03:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2017, 03:51 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]Deshaun Watson was not on the field all game. I could not watch most of the third quarter, but what I did see was a QB who will easily avoid sacks against weaker defensive lines by the end of the season. Like others said, it is not fair to judge him based on being put in a bad situation after being the default backup since he was drafted.

You didn't see the drive. The ref bailed the texans out multiple times with bad foul calls. One was so bad that came on a third and twenty that wasn't converted the TV guys didn't know what to say. If the refs called the game fair it would have been a shutout.

If they called the game fair an interception would have been included into Deshaun Watson's stat line. That throw was horrible.

Or was Tom Savage the one who threw it? Now I can't remember if it was the second or fourth quarter.
Watson doesn't appear to have the accuracy or arm strength to be successful in the NFL.
(09-11-2017, 04:22 PM)jg77 Wrote: [ -> ]Watson doesn't appear to have the accuracy or arm strength to be successful in the NFL.

Give him a full season to judge his accuracy. He is not ready yet - just more talented than the other guys.
(09-11-2017, 04:17 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2017, 03:58 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]You didn't see the drive. The ref bailed the texans out multiple times with bad foul calls. One was so bad that came on a third and twenty that wasn't converted the TV guys didn't know what to say. If the refs called the game fair it would have been a shutout.

If they called the game fair an interception would have been included into Deshaun Watson's stat line. That throw was horrible.

Or was Tom Savage the one who threw it? Now I can't remember if it was the second or fourth quarter.

A second interception. He still had one as it was. But the drive would have ended before Jack's interception if not for the phantom roughing the passer earlier.
(09-11-2017, 04:37 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2017, 04:22 PM)jg77 Wrote: [ -> ]Watson doesn't appear to have the accuracy or arm strength to be successful in the NFL.

Give him a full season to judge his accuracy. He is not ready yet - just more talented than the other guys.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  I am impressed by his pocket presence though. Also, BOB doesn't seem to be the QB guru that everyone says he is.
(09-11-2017, 04:57 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2017, 04:17 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]If they called the game fair an interception would have been included into Deshaun Watson's stat line. That throw was horrible.

A second interception. He still had one as it was. But the drive would have ended before Jack's interception if not for the phantom roughing the passer earlier.

Yeah that was really stupid. I had no idea what Tony Corrente saw #91 do to the quarterback.
(09-11-2017, 05:20 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2017, 04:57 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]A second interception. He still had one as it was. But the drive would have ended before Jack's interception if not for the phantom roughing the passer earlier.

Yeah that was really stupid. I had no idea what Tony Corrente saw #91 do to the quarterback.

The weird party is how the flag got thrown about a minute after the play ended. It was as if the league buzzed the ref and told him the game needed to start going better for the texans.
As he entered the game I was telling my wife about the questions about his velocity. It seemed that his throws lacked zip. I don't know if that is because of what I heard pre-draft or a legitimate eye test, but it didn't look good. Most of his passes seemed to float to their destinations.

That being said, Chad Pennington had no velocity either and he was able to win at this level. Will have to see what happens.
Pages: 1 2 3