Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles Under Marrone: 63% comp, NO INTS in 98 att.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...terception

I've been going on and on about Marrone and Hackett mitigating Blake's mistakes to anyone who will listen. 
Here's your proof. 

Quote:Doug Marrone has apparently been very good for [font=Georgia,]Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles.[/font]
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Bortles has thrown a career-high 98 consecutive passes without an interception. That's a streak that dates to the Jaguars' 21-20 loss to Houston on Dec. 18, 2016 -- head coach Gus Bradley's final game.
Marrone took over as the interim coach for the final two games of the 2016 season and was hired as Bradley's replacement in January. Since Marrone has been in charge, Bortles has completed 63.3 percent of his passes (62 of 98) for 751 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions (though he did lose two fumbles).
Bortles also once play a game where he tossed 5 TD's with no INTS with 67% completion. So crazy things happen from time to time. Nah Nah not bursting your bubble but yes with the small sample size with Marrone he has looked better. I am still worried to see what will happen when we are down 14+ at half and need to slinging the rock.
Glad to hear and I hope it keeps going. Bortles has a lot of work to do to regain the confidence of the fans, but he needs to regain confidence in himself first. This is a good start.
(09-15-2017, 09:34 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles also once play a game where he tossed 5 TD's with no INTS with 67% completion. So crazy things happen from time to time. Nah Nah not bursting your bubble but yes with the small sample size with Marrone he has looked better. I am still worried to see what will happen when we are down 14+ at half and need to slinging the rock.

I agree that three games is just three games, but more than it giving me confidence in Blake (it doesn't really) it gives me confidence in Marrone and Hackett to manage him effectively.  Bradley and Olson had no clue what to do with him.
Is it that they're mitigating mistakes it is it just that they're not trying to have a young QB carry the team as if he were late career Tom Brady?

I've said it many times, but a lot of people seem to think only teams with great QBs win, and all teams with great QBs always win, and neither case is true.

The texans have been winning the division for years with QB play on the level of Blake Bortles of last year and the saints have been marginal at best with a future hall of famer. I know the bib brigade wants a clean and easy place to lay blame, but it's looking more and more with every game like coaching and game planning really was the problem.
(09-15-2017, 10:02 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Is it that they're mitigating mistakes it is it just that they're not trying to have a young QB carry the team as if he were late career Tom Brady?

You are just saying same thing phrased differently here. Mitigating his mistakes entails game-planning so that he doesn't have to carry the team. 

It also involves striking from the playbook the passes he's been repeatedly inaccurate with, disguising pass vs run more effectively, providing a number of two read pass plays, better/easier safety valve options, and calling high percentage pass plays that he's been drilled properly to execute with consistency.
So when Marrone was the OC and Bortles sucked was Marrone still good for him?
(09-15-2017, 10:21 AM)The Hammer Wrote: [ -> ]So when Marrone was the OC and Bortles sucked was Marrone still good for him?

Careful. 

Your stupid is showing from under your skirt their, honcho.

Clue: Marrone was never the OC.
(09-15-2017, 10:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2017, 10:02 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Is it that they're mitigating mistakes it is it just that they're not trying to have a young QB carry the team as if he were late career Tom Brady?

You are just saying same thing phrased differently here. Mitigating his mistakes entails game-planning so that he doesn't have to carry the team. 

It also involves striking from the playbook the passes he's been repeatedly inaccurate with, disguising pass vs run more effectively, providing a number of two read pass plays, better/easier safety valve options, and calling high percentage pass plays that he's been drilled properly to execute with consistency.

My point is that one case implies there is a shortfall of ability at the QB position that the coach has to make up for while the other implies there was a shortage of ability for the coach. (That the QB was being asked to make up for)

I believe the later is closer to the truth, or we could say that Bortles is closer to being a decent QB than Gus was to being a decent head coach.
(09-15-2017, 10:25 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2017, 10:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]You are just saying same thing phrased differently here. Mitigating his mistakes entails game-planning so that he doesn't have to carry the team. 

My point is that one case implies there is a shortfall of ability at the QB position that the coach has to make up for while the other implies there was a shortage of ability for the coach.

I believe the later is closer to the truth, or we could say that Bortles is closer to being a decent QB than Gus was to being a decent head coach.

It's both.  The QB is lacking in ability that must be accounted for AND he previously had a terrible HC and OC.
"Doug Marrone has apparently been very good for Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles."

Bahahahaha!!! Oh, he's serious. Marrone's philosophy isn't good for any QB.
Who cares, Bortles is still Bortles.
This is a key fact that the local media try and dismiss, just to keep everyone with a negative feel. Under Marrone the Jags are 2-1. 1010XL have driven the stats about the record of Gus to no end. But we must now look at the here and now with a new coach.
(09-15-2017, 09:30 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...terception

I've been going on and on about Marrone and Hackett mitigating Blake's mistakes to anyone who will listen. 
Here's your proof. 

Quote:Doug Marrone has apparently been very good for [font=Georgia,]Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles.[/font]
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Bortles has thrown a career-high 98 consecutive passes without an interception. That's a streak that dates to the Jaguars' 21-20 loss to Houston on Dec. 18, 2016 -- head coach Gus Bradley's final game.
Marrone took over as the interim coach for the final two games of the 2016 season and was hired as Bradley's replacement in January. Since Marrone has been in charge, Bortles has completed 63.3 percent of his passes (62 of 98) for 751 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions (though he did lose two fumbles).

He's been markedly better in the interception department since Marrone took over, but just for full disclosure he did lose 2 fumbles against the clots in the season finale. 

I hope Marrone decides to let Blake test this young, unproven (and probably not very good) secondary of the tacks this week and test himself a little in the process, but hopefully not at the cost of losing the game.  Marrone has to understand that he can't shield Bortles from himself all season.  He's going to have to throw it a lot in some games eventually.  If you're going to have him try to build some confidence, this is as good as an opportunity to do so as anyone else on the schedule.
This is a mix of a quality coach actually having his qb prepared and having him throw passes that are in his strength column rather than his weakness column. Bortles is also capable of making the throws and playing well. Now he hand the ball of and has a defense that can get him extra possessions a game. He doesn't have to press to move the ball anymore.

I think this also speaks to a larger change that's happening in the NFL. O line play is down and qb play is down. The days of Manning and Brady are coming to an end. Even Rodgers is starting to look mortal. The defenses have caught up and they are faster and lighter being able to defend the pass better. Teams that focus on the run will begin to be the dominant teams again in the near future.
This is good for QBs,

Marrone, asked how many times a game quarterback Blake Bortles will ideally throw next season, said his answer was simple: “Zero.” He said he wasn’t joking about this, and he wasn’t smiling when he said it. “For me, I’d like to run the ball every play,” Marrone said. “I want to go back to the old way. I want to change the game.” Marrone added that he didn’t know a specific ideal number for Bortles’ passing attempts next season.

He calls his offense a "pro style attack with the veer." He said this on June 9th. He's not good for QBs. Ever.
(09-15-2017, 10:42 AM)maheo30 Wrote: [ -> ]This is good for QBs,

Marrone, asked how many times a game quarterback Blake Bortles will ideally throw next season, said his answer was simple: “Zero.” He said he wasn’t joking about this, and he wasn’t smiling when he said it. “For me, I’d like to run the ball every play,” Marrone said. “I want to go back to the old way. I want to change the game.” Marrone added that he didn’t know a specific ideal number for Bortles’ passing attempts next season.

He calls his offense a "pro style attack with the veer." He said this on June 9th. He's not good for QBs. Ever.

This isn't meant as a personal insult, but you're a fool to actually believe his philosophy is truly that extreme. 

Personally - I'd be just fine with Blake throwing 20 times per game all season long.  That means our defense and run game are getting it done. 

I'd bet Marrone let's him throw closer to 30 this week against the tacks suspect secondary, though. We'll see.
(09-15-2017, 10:29 AM)maheo30 Wrote: [ -> ]"Doug Marrone has apparently been very good for Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles."

Bahahahaha!!! Oh, he's serious. Marrone's philosophy isn't good for any QB.

So a philosophy that produces only three 3rd and 7+ yards in a game isn't good for any QB?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/b...tm#all_pbp
(09-15-2017, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2017, 10:42 AM)maheo30 Wrote: [ -> ]This is good for QBs,

This isn't meant as a personal insult, but you're a fool to actually believe his philosophy is truly that extreme. 

Do I think he's that extreme? Of course not. I do term him the Will Muschamp of the NFL. His philosophy, like Chump's, is the offense exists to protect the defense. He believes in a conservative, ball control offense. The only time he's ever deviated from that is Nassib's senior year. The offense you see now is what you'll get the next 3 years. Enjoy. The only plus is that philosophy will get us some wins and a trip out of the bottom of the nfl standings. It won't win us a SB unless he somehow turns us into the Dilfer ravens or Manning broncos.
(09-15-2017, 10:54 AM)maheo30 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-15-2017, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]This isn't meant as a personal insult, but you're a fool to actually believe his philosophy is truly that extreme. 

Do I think he's that extreme? Of course not. I do term him the Will Muschamp of the NFL. His philosophy, like Chump's, is the offense exists to protect the defense. He believes in a conservative, ball control offense. The only time he's ever deviated from that is Nassib's senior year. The offense you see now is what you'll get the next 3 years. Enjoy. The only plus is that philosophy will get us some wins and a trip out of the bottom of the nfl standings. It won't win us a SB unless he somehow turns us into the Dilfer ravens or Manning broncos.

Or they just sign/draft a better QB.  I'm willing to wait on that.
Pages: 1 2 3