Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dave Caldwell deserves credit if team plays continues to play well
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know I've said it once before, but if this team continues to play like they did against the Ravens, DAVE deserves a ton of credit.  He built this team, and right now they're looking like they could become something's special.
If he can work the cap space to get everyone deserving of new contracts paid then I'll be super impressed
(09-25-2017, 11:52 PM)archer56 Wrote: [ -> ]If he can work the cap space to get everyone deserving of new contracts paid then I'll be super impressed

This would seem to be the next step. I know Malik Jackson is an unsung hero of sorts, but I think we could try to rework his deal, trade him this off-season, or cut him in the off season after. I don't think he is playing to the $90 million contract he signed. We may resign Blake to a team friendly deal, maybe an incentive based 50-70 million dollar deal over 6 years with a low% guaranteed. Should be interesting to see how we juggle our pricey free agents and the talent we have on the team.. Someone will unfortunately slip though the cracks.
(09-25-2017, 11:51 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]I know I've said it once before, but if this team continues to play like they did against the Ravens, DAVE deserves a ton of credit.  He built this team, and right now they're looking like they could become something's special.

Wait a sec... I think you forgot that any and all credit goes to Coughlin. All of the blame is reserved for Caldwell.
We're in a great cap situation. We'll have plenty to resign our guys they want and even sign another decent FA contract next offseason if needed. Keep in mind some of the older/expendable guys like Ivory/Lewis/Poz could be let go as well (IMO Ivory is the most likely candidate).
(09-26-2017, 12:07 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2017, 11:52 PM)archer56 Wrote: [ -> ]If he can work the cap space to get everyone deserving of new contracts paid then I'll be super impressed

This would seem to be the next step. I know Malik Jackson is an unsung hero of sorts, but I think we could try to rework his deal, trade him this off-season, or cut him in the off season after. I don't think he is playing to the $90 million contract he signed. We may resign Blake to a team friendly deal, maybe an incentive based 50-70 million dollar deal over 6 years with a low% guaranteed. Should be interesting to see how we juggle our pricey free agents and the talent we have on the team.. Someone will unfortunately slip though the cracks.

Huh Huh

Jackson has been one of the few free agents we've signed in our history to even come close to living up to his deal.  We have finally assembled a potentially dominant defense, and you want to dismantle it?!?
I dunno...
Bortles is still a big question mark. And right now, if he continues to play well, I think that credit would go to Marrone/Hack for using him in a much more managerial role instead of letting him sling it around.

However... It can not be ignored that (disregarding J. Ram, an easy selection and LF a sure fire Coughlin selection) DFJ is playing well, Jack is looking beastly, Smith and Colvin are really good, and signing Bouye, Campbell, Church, Jackson were all home runs after kinda selecting stop gap players early on.
I almost forgot to mention Yannick a budding star.
I've always said overall he's done a fairly good job.
But 3 misses in Luke, Blake, and Bradley have hung a dark cloud over his tenure.
If Bortles can be serviceable beyond this season, his job is probably safe... but I think he is tied to Bortles directly so if Bortles goes, Caldwell does too, imo.

It's unfortunate.... but sometimes franchises move on from GMs who have seemingly done well when they don't see eye to eye with certain people in power. (i.e. Dorsey/Reid from KC)
He deserves credit now. GMs do not hit on picks 100% of the time. He has had some misses but man, when you are trying to stock a cupboard when it's bare and field a somewhat competitive football team...almost impossible task. I think many forget how devoid of talent this team was. With some good pieces in place now, Dave's job becomes much easier and misses don't draw as much attention. The team can now concentrate on increasing talent through the draft, not just trying to survive.
(09-26-2017, 09:28 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]He deserves credit now. GMs do not hit on picks 100% of the time. He has had some misses but man, when you are trying to stock a cupboard when it's bare and field a somewhat competitive football team...almost impossible task. I think many forget how devoid of talent this team was. With some good pieces in place now, Dave's job becomes much easier and misses don't draw as much attention. The team can now concentrate on increasing talent through the draft, not just trying to survive.

I think you hit it perfectly. Go back and look at that 2012 roster that he inherited and look at the 2017 roster he built over time. That fact that he found half of those guys is amazing. He built a young ascending roster and has managed the cap well. If Bortles turns it around and become a top 10-15 qb it’s a no brainer. 

I also agree that we are at a point moving forward, we’re we can focus on  accumulating talent in the draft and not have to actually find players to play immediately. Caldwell has shown the ability to find later round talent as well as undrafted talent. I can’t wait see him load this team up with even more talent
Why would we want to cut Jackson?

We have ~$40 Million in Cap right now...

Bortles Cap hit jumps 13.5~ Million
Bouye Cap hit jumps 10 Million
No one else really has crazy jump...

So we have 16.5 Million in cap....then whatever the Salary Cap increases by.

Players most likely not resigning/getting cut:

Poz - 6 Million is rolling off...
Henne - 3.5 Million is rolling off...
Ivory - Doubt he is kept @ 7 Million...currently making 5.8
M. Lewis - 3.75 Million club option
Yeldon - 1.88 Million...doubtful he stays
McCray - 2 Million rolling off
Rivera - 1.75 M

So cap jumps to around 41 Million if the above cuts are made.

Players that need to be resigned:

Telvin Smith: Obviously the main guy that needs to get paid will probably be in the 11-12 Million range.
Marquise Lee: See him getting something similar to Hurns in the 7-9 Million range.
Allen Robinson: Injury cost him a ton...could see cheaper 1 year prove it deal or let go...6-7 Million
Aaron Colvin: Could be resigned or let go to someone that wants him than more than nickel
Patrick Omameh: Depending on how is plays out could get 5-7 Million contract.
Corey Grant: RFA will be tendered
Jason Myers: RFA most likely tendered

Needless to say we could resign all of our guys and still have some cap room to play with...I honestly could see them letting one of Lee/Robinson/Hurns walk and rely on Westbrook to fill that void.
(09-26-2017, 11:35 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: [ -> ]Why would we want to cut Jackson?

Rivera - 1.75 M

Telvin Smith: Obviously the main guy that needs to get paid will probably be in the 11-12 Million range.
Marquise Lee: See him getting something similar to Hurns in the 7-9 Million range.
Allen Robinson: Injury cost him a ton...could see cheaper 1 year prove it deal or let go...6-7 Million
Aaron Colvin: Could be resigned or let go to someone that wants him than more than nickel

Needless to say we could resign all of our guys and still have some cap room to play with...I honestly could see them letting one of Lee/Robinson/Hurns walk and rely on Westbrook to fill that void.

Pick the 2 you most want and sign them to front loaded deals that use up this year's cap space while being friendly in years 2 through 4.
(09-26-2017, 08:37 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2017, 12:07 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]This would seem to be the next step. I know Malik Jackson is an unsung hero of sorts, but I think we could try to rework his deal, trade him this off-season, or cut him in the off season after. I don't think he is playing to the $90 million contract he signed. We may resign Blake to a team friendly deal, maybe an incentive based 50-70 million dollar deal over 6 years with a low% guaranteed. Should be interesting to see how we juggle our pricey free agents and the talent we have on the team.. Someone will unfortunately slip though the cracks.

Huh Huh

Jackson has been one of the few free agents we've signed in our history to even come close to living up to his deal.  We have finally assembled a potentially dominant defense, and you want to dismantle it?!?

For some, you CAN have too many good players.  Cry
(09-26-2017, 01:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2017, 11:35 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: [ -> ]Why would we want to cut Jackson?

Rivera - 1.75 M

Pick the 2 you most want and sign them to front loaded deals that use up this year's cap space while being friendly in years 2 through 4.

If we ONLY get to pick 2... I go with Smith and AR15 
Haven't seen enough from Lee to say we NEED to keep him.
I'd like to keep Colvin, but if he can go get starter money, good on him.
Omameh has been playing well, so this is a tough one to let go... but I imagine we could draft a stud OG and not miss him.
Grant is a speedy back, in which you can probably find in any and every draft.
Myers lol
Being that he is a young GM, and that his picks appear to be improving year-over-year, I'm relatively happy with him. All GMs miss on some picks.
(09-26-2017, 01:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

Rivera - 1.75 M

I was going to point this out, I believe we have done this with most of our signings? So Cap shouldnt be a massive issue.
(09-26-2017, 09:03 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno...
Bortles is still a big question mark. And right now, if he continues to play well, I think that credit would go to Marrone/Hack for using him in a much more managerial role instead of letting him sling it around.

However... It can not be ignored that (disregarding J. Ram, an easy selection and LF a sure fire Coughlin selection) DFJ is playing well, Jack is looking beastly, Smith and Colvin are really good, and signing Bouye, Campbell, Church, Jackson were all home runs after kinda selecting stop gap players early on.
But 3 misses in Luke, Blake, and Bradley have hung a dark cloud over his tenure.
If Bortles can be serviceable beyond this season, his job is probably safe... but I think he is tied to Bortles directly so if Bortles goes, Caldwell does too, imo.

It's unfortunate.... but sometimes franchises move on from GMs who have seemingly done well when they don't see eye to eye with certain people in power. (i.e. Dorsey/Reid from KC)

I'm getting so tired of seeing this stupid excuse. "You can't count Ramsey because that was an easy pick". My [BLEEP] you can't count Ramsey. Dave made the pick, if he didn't pick Ramsey he would be getting straight up ripped because of it.  But since we all see he's a straight up stud, the pick doesn't count because it was an easy pick? Get out of here with that crap.

But ok, if you don't count the Ramsey pick, then you sure as hell can't count the Joeckel pick either. Joeckel was the top pick in that draft, for the entire season. Then Fisher started to raise and they were either one, or two. Chiefs took Fisher and Dave went with the consensus #1 pick, who was Joeckel.

Bortles would have went top 5 or top 10 also, even if we didn't draft him.

And this "sure fire Coughlin pick" is flat out some of the stupidest [BLEEP] I've ever heard. You guys need to really stop saying what was, or wasn't a Coughlin pick. First off, because you don't have a single clue about it, as none of us do. Second, because they're all working together and to think otherwise is foolish at best.
(09-26-2017, 07:44 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-26-2017, 09:03 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno...

I'm getting so tired of seeing this stupid excuse. "You can't count Ramsey because that was an easy pick". My [BLEEP] you can't count Ramsey. Dave made the pick, if he didn't pick Ramsey he would be getting straight up ripped because of it.  But since we all see he's a straight up stud, the pick doesn't count because it was an easy pick? Get out of here with that crap.

But ok, if you don't count the Ramsey pick, then you sure as hell can't count the Joeckel pick either. Joeckel was the top pick in that draft, for the entire season. Then Fisher started to raise and they were either one, or two. Chiefs took Fisher and Dave went with the consensus #1 pick, who was Joeckel.

Bortles would have went top 5 or top 10 also, even if we didn't draft him.

And this "sure fire Coughlin pick" is flat out some of the stupidest [BLEEP] I've ever heard. You guys need to really stop saying what was, or wasn't a Coughlin pick. First off, because you don't have a single clue about it, as none of us do. Second, because they're all working together and to think otherwise is foolish at best.

Some people are doing that because they had made up their minds about DC and won't change it out of fear of possibly being wrong, which is stupid. This is the internet - being right or wrong doesn't give you a damn prize or carry a damn consequence.
All I have to do is think of Gene Smith, and immediately I am grateful for what Dave's brought to the table.
Caldwell = Hinkie of football?
This is what I think Dave should do...
If bortles can finish around 3500+, 25+ tds and 12 or less interceptions sign him to an incentive based deal like mentioned earlier.

Let go of Poz, Lee, and colvin
Franchise arob
Sign Telvin to a long term deal

Sign the best guard in free agency
Sign a decent lb to replace Poz if they don't believe in Blair Brown
Draft a guard in the 1st
Draft a corner in the 2nd
Draft a qb in the 3rd
Draft oline in 4th and 5th
BAP rest of the draft

This should give us a great oline, which bortles can play well behind. 3rd round qb will provide competition and keep bortles working. Cole and dede can fill Lee's shoes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4