Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Jets Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
A gloomy, dreary result for a weekend of gloomy, dreary weather this weekend.   I have heard a saying that a win has many fathers but a loss is an orphan.  Sorry to say that there is lots of DNA from lots of people in this loss today, as more than any loss in recent memory, all three phases of the game played key roles in the loss.  My thoughts on the game...

1.  Bortles and the offense started off like they were unconscious.  They moved the ball effectively and put it right in the end zone.  There was tough sledding after that.  Bortles did NOT have a good game after that first possession.  Batted balls continued  to plague him, which is near incomprehensible for a guy who is 6-5.  He had, by my count, about 4 batted balls today, two by Lony Ealy, one of which was caught by Ealy for a turnover that gave the Jets the ball in point blank territory.  Kudos to the defense for keeping them out of the end zone that possession, but it resulted in a FG.

2.  I think part of the offense's problem is that it still lacks a #1 WR or a TE that can stretch the field.  Hurns made some decent catches, but you never got the sense the Jets and their mediocre CBs ever respected the Jaguars passing game or receivers.  Marqise Lee's late drop of a good Bortles pass arguably cost the Jaguars the game.  Barring the unforeseen development of a guy like Cole, Strong or Westbrook once he comes off of IR around week 8, this won't change, and as a result, we'll continue to see teams stuff the box, which leads me to...

3.  the moribund running game.  Fournette is getting some solid 4-5 yard runs, but there aren't any explosive plays in the running game.  It seems Fournette has to break or drag a tackle to get those 4-5 yards.  The OL is not allowing for any explosive running plays, or anything barely above routine.  This was most telling in short yardage situations, where on 3rd and one, they tried that pass to Grant that lost five yards, and late in the game when they passed three times inside the five and settled for a FG.  I shudder to think they spent millions of free agency dollars last year on a power back, the 4th overall pick in the draft this year on another power back, and all of those physical practices in training camp only to avoid pounding the ball in short yardage.

4.  The defense does not escape any blame.  To the contrary, any time a defense allows two TD runs of 65+ yards and over 200 yards rushing total, they are deserving of blame.  There are some encouraging things I've seen about this defense.  They have shown big play capability on all three levels of the defense.  But that won't do any good if they can't stop the run, especially if they are not playing with any leads.

5.  It wasn't all negative on the defensive side of the ball.  They did notch four sacks.  Ngakoue had two sacks, absolutely abusing former Jaguar kelvin Beachum and forcing a fumble.  Fowler had a sack and forced a fumble right before the end of regulation.  Campbell had a sack, as did Church.  I want to say that Jack had an outstanding game, as he was all over the place early on and had the  fumble return for a TD.  But gap integrity was non existent for much of the game, and I am hesitant to credit him, or anyone with any good performances without knowing who missed their gap assignments on those long runs (most seemingly the same type of zone blocking runs that allowed cutbacks.).

6.  Special teams wouldn't be special teams without some shared responsibility for this loss.  Myers barely kept his FG miss inside the stadium.  Granted 52 yard FGs are not chip shots, but c'mon.  Marqise Lee contributed to the poor special teams performance by horribly misplaying that last OT punt by the Jets.  Granted the meadowlands and the new Met life stadium are notorious for swirling winds, and that punt went further than expected, but Lee's misplay of that punt cost the Jaguars about 30 yards of field position.  After factoring in the block in the back by Benn, the Jaguars started their last possession inside their own three (3) yard line.  The fake punt allowed right before halftime was infuriating, and the Jaguars were fortunate the Jets followed that up with a delay of game penalty and a missed FG right before half.  Even though they seem a lot more infrequent under DeCamillis than they were the last few years, those plays are equally unacceptable.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette-had a good game in terms of total yards from scrimmage, including two nice catches and runs of screen passes, including one that would have provided the winning points and his second receiving TD for the game, but for the holding call on Benn.  But he still hasn't had the long explosive run.  Not his fault, but we have to try to find a way to get him going.
  • Cam Robinson-had a very good game by my estimation.  No sacks allowed.
  • Dawaune Smoot-played but did not stand out.
  • DeDe Westbrook-DNP; on IR
  • Blair Brown-did not see him
  • Jalen Myrick-DNP
  • Keelan Cole-Had a catch and a couple of other targets.
8.  I thought coaching was problematic.  As I indicated earlier, I did not like the abandoning of the running game in short yardage situations.  I also continue to be mystified as to the RB rotation, though I understand that Wheatley is responsible for it.  I don't see how any RB can get into a rhythm.

9.  Bottom line-a very disappointing loss today.  Despite wholly inept run defense, ineffective offense, and regressive incompetence in the passing game, there were still opportunities for this talented, young team to overcome their lapses and beat what should have been an over matched team.  Doing so would have been a huge confidence boost for this young team, and would have been evidence of the "grit" that TC mentioned earlier.  Instead, they squandered the opportunity to seize sole possession of first place in the division, and the first 3-1 start in forever.  Worse yet, as it stands now, this team looks like it can't run the ball or stop the run, in addition to not being able to pass the ball well enough.  The good news is that we're in a three way tie for first in the division, and still have important games left and time to fix at least some of the problems in the rush defense.
It’s hard to blame this one on one guy, but the game DID come down to ONE guy making a mistake at a crucial time.

That being said WHY on Earth do we take out Fournette on 3rd downs?! It’s incredibly aggravating. Why do we not run QB sneaks? In fact, WHY don’t we use Bortles more on option plays? Dude can run effectively more than he can pass in the pocket.
"this won't change, and as a result, we'll continue to see teams stuff the box"

Guys I promise if we bring in a 3rd WR regularly the teams won't stuff the box. They are not going to leave Cole completely uncovered so they can keep that third LB and box safety. The box being stuffed is because we continually use 1/2 WR and 2 TE/FB sets. It's not because they are scared of Fournette or not scared of Bortles, it's simply math.
(10-01-2017, 07:43 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]It’s hard to blame this one on one guy, but the game DID come down to ONE guy making a mistake at a crucial time.

That being said WHY on Earth do we take out Fournette on 3rd downs?! It’s incredibly aggravating. Why do we not run QB sneaks? In fact, WHY don’t we use Bortles more on option plays? Dude can run effectively more than he can pass in the pocket.

But which guy was that?

Benn-whose holding negated the go ahead TD?

Lee-whose drop precluded a first down and possible game winning FG and forced a punt?

Poz-of all people, whose taunting penalty put the Jets in point blank FG range in OT?

BTW, was I the only one who thought Jack was a bit too lackadaisical returning that lateral for the TD?
(10-01-2017, 07:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2017, 07:43 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]It’s hard to blame this one on one guy, but the game DID come down to ONE guy making a mistake at a crucial time.

But which guy was that?

Lee-whose drop precluded a first down and possible game winning FG and forced a punt?

Poz-of all people, whose taunting penalty put the Jets in point blank FG range in OT?

BTW, was I the only one tho thought Jack was a bit too lackadaisical returning that lateral for the TD?

Boneheadedness all around, for which Marrone should shoulder some of the blame. 

I thought the defense was clearly thinking this would be an easy day before they had suddenly given up 150 yards on the ground fairly early in the game. 

Maybe you can put it on not taking the bye after London, but I don't feel Marrone had the team ready despite everything we heard about it throughout the week.
For me, the Powell run in the first quarter where he dove "over" Telvin is what set this game. We stop that play and I think it's a different outcome. Defense came out strong and Bortles was sharp until that play.

It demoralized them
(10-01-2017, 07:25 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]A gloomy, dreary result for a weekend of gloomy, dreary weather this weekend.   I have heard a saying that a win has many fathers but a loss is an orphan.  Sorry to say that there is lots of DNA from lots of people in this loss today, as more than any loss iin recent memory, all three phases of the game played key roles in the loss.  My thoughts on the game...

1.  Bortles and the offense started off like they were unconscious.  They moved the ball effectively and put it right in the end zone.  There was tough sledding after that.  Bortles did NOT have a good game after that first possession.  Batted balls continued  to plague him, which is near incomprehensible for a guy who is 6-5.  He had, by my count, about 4 batted balls today, two by Lony Ealy, one of which was caught by Ealy for a turnover that gave the Jets the ball in point blank territory.  Kudos to the defense for keeping them out of the end zone that possession, but it resulted in a FG.

2.  I think part of the offense's problem is that it still lacks a #1 WR or a TE that can stretch the field.  Hurns made some decent catches, but you never got the sense the Jets and their mediocre CBs ever respected the Jaguars passing game or receivers.  Marqise Lee's late drop of a good Bortles pass arguably cost the Jaguars the game.  Barring the unforeseen development of a guy like Cole, Strong or Westbrook once he comes off of IR around week 8, this won't change, and as a result, we'll continue to see teams stuff the box, which leads me to...

3.  the moribund running game.  Fournette is getting some solid 4-5 yard runs, but there aren't any explosive plays in the running game.  It seems Fournette has to break or drag a tackle to get those 4-5 yards.  The OL is not allowing for any explosive running plays, or anything barely above routine.  This was most telling in short yardage situations, where on 3rd and one, they tried that pass to Grant that lost five yards, and late in the game when they passed three times inside the five and settled for a FG.  I shudder to think they spent millions of free agency dollars last year on a power back, the 4th overall pick in the draft this year on another power back, and all of those physical practices in training camp only to avoid pounding the ball in short yardage.

4.  The defense does not escape any blame.  To the contrary, any time a defense allows two TD runs of 65+ yards and over 200 yards rushing total, they are deserving of blame.  There are some encouraging things I've seen about this defense.  They have shown big play capability on all three levels of the defense.  But that won't do any good if they can't stop the run, especially if they are not playing with any leads.

5.  It wasn't all negative on the defensive side of the ball.  They did notch four sacks.  Ngakoue had two sacks, absolutely abusing former Jaguar kelvin Beachum and forcing a fumble.  Fowler had a sack and forced a fumble right before the end of regulation.  Campbell had a sack, as did Church.  I want to say that Jack had an outstanding game, as he was all over the place early on and had the  fumble return for a TD.  But gap integrity was non existent for much of the game, and I am hesitant to credit him, or anyone with any good performances without knowing who missed their gap assignments on those long runs (most seemingly the same type of zone blocking runs that allowed cutbacks.).

6.  Special teams wouldn't be special teams without some shared responsibility for this loss.  Myers barely kept his FG miss inside the stadium.  Granted 52 yard FGs are not chip shots, but c'mon.  Marqise Lee contributed to the poor special teams performance by horribly misplaying that last OT punt by the Jets.  Granted the meadowlands and the new Met life stadium are notorious for swirling winds, and that punt went further than expected, but Lee's misplay of that punt cost the Jaguars about 30 yards of field position.  After factoring in the block in the back by Benn, the Jaguars started their last possession inside their own three (3) yard line.  The fake punt allowed right before halftime was infuriating, and the Jaguars were fortunate the Jets followed that up with a delay of game penalty and a missed FG right before half.  Even though they seem a lot more infrequent under DeCamillis than they were the last few years, those plays are equally unacceptable.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette-had a good game in terms of total yards from scrimmage, including two nice catches and runs of screen passes, including one that would have provided the winning points and his second receiving TD for the game, but for the holding call on Benn.  But he still hasn't had the long explosive run.  Not his fault, but we have to try to find a way to get him going.
  • Jalen Myrick-DNP
8.  I thought coaching was problematic.  As I indicated earlier, I did not like the abandoning of the running game in short yardage situations.  I also continue to be mystified as to the RB rotation, though I understand that Wheatley is responsible for it.  I don't see how any RB can get into a rhythm.

9.  Bottom line-a very disappointing loss today.  Despite wholly inept run defense, ineffective offense, and regressive incompetence in the passing game, there were still opportunities for this talented, young team to overcome their lapses and beat what should have been an over matched team.  Doing so would have been a huge confidence boost for this young team, and would have been evidence of the "grit" that TC mentioned earlier.  Instead, they squandered the opportunity to seize sole possession of first place in the division, and the first 3-1 start in forever.  Worse yet, as it stands now, this team looks like it can't run the ball or stop the run, in addition to not being able to pass the ball well enough.  The good news is that we're in a three way tie for first in the division, and still have important games left and time to fix at least some of the problems in the rush defense.

Great analysis as usual.

Regarding your two points in bold.

The defense lost this game more than anything.  Many people are going to blame the QB, but it was the defense that was a let down.

I was screaming to just "run the dang ball!" at the start of the second half.  I'll take 2 and 3 yard runs on first and second down all game long.
(10-01-2017, 07:25 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]A gloomy, dreary result for a weekend of gloomy, dreary weather this weekend.   I have heard a saying that a win has many fathers but a loss is an orphan.  Sorry to say that there is lots of DNA from lots of people in this loss today, as more than any loss iin recent memory, all three phases of the game played key roles in the loss.  My thoughts on the game...

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Jalen Myrick-DNP

That sums it up.

There were so many stupid mistakes, just one of which would have resulted in a Jags victory had it not been made.

I also agree that letting Bortles try to convert some of those short 3rd downs with his feet would have been a lot better choice.
Going to be a hard up and down season where we blow a soft schedule again. The QB can't lead this team and doesn't have an understanding of the game. The coaching staff trust him at inopportune times. At the 3 yard line and we pass?

This team has talented players but isn't a team. We get snippets of what individuals can do but they are not a good team. If last year you told me we would have the same record as New England on October 1st, I would have been like he'll yeah.

Bottles is so so frustrating. He should be a skeet machine.

..... Pull
.... wobble wobble quack quack
I understand the defense deserves some blame here but they basically gave the Jags half their points. Fumble return TD and then Bouye pick gave us great field position.
(10-01-2017, 07:46 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

But which guy was that?

BTW, was I the only one tho thought Jack was a bit too lackadaisical returning that lateral for the TD?
That's just taking a paige out of Gus book, finding a way to lose
If the QB is 15/35 for 140 1 td and 1 pick and 4 batted passes. HE IS TO BLAME. Why consider that the most important position in football if make excuses about his play.
(10-01-2017, 10:10 PM)uthill Wrote: [ -> ]If the QB is 15/35 for 140 1 td and 1 pick and 4 batted passes. HE IS TO BLAME. Why consider that the most important position in football if make excuses about his play.

What are the defense stats?  Do you blame the QB for that?
We let the game slip through our fingers. Its been a while since we had a nail biter like that and we just screwed it up. All we can do is get better from it and don't make the same mistakes. It came down to a holding penalty negating a TD, a muffed punt, a dropped first down pass, a personal foul. None of which had anything to do with the QB. The Jets seemed content ending in a tie. You can't have those fundamental mistakes when the game is on the line. It'll get you beat every time. The entire division is 2-2 and the Titans might be in some trouble without their QB. The offense continued where they left off in London at the start of the game. We let one play change the momentum and lost our rhythm.
(10-01-2017, 10:16 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-01-2017, 10:10 PM)uthill Wrote: [ -> ]If the QB is 15/35 for 140 1 td and 1 pick and 4 batted passes. HE IS TO BLAME. Why consider that the most important position in football if make excuses about his play.

What are the defense stats?  Do you blame the QB for that?

Sure they allowed a ton of yards on the ground but also scored a td and was on the field for a ton in the 2nd half..Do you blame them for that? INEPT QB makes others look like they are inept. FACT.
(10-01-2017, 10:37 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]We let the game slip through our fingers. Its been a while since we had a nail biter like that and we just screwed it up. All we can do is get better from it and don't make the same mistakes. It came down to a holding penalty negating a TD, a muffed punt, a dropped first down pass, a personal foul. None of which had anything to do with the QB. The Jets seemed content ending in a tie. You can't have those fundamental mistakes when the game is on the line. It'll get you beat every time. The entire division is 2-2 and the Titans might be in some trouble without their QB. The offense continued where they left off in London at the start of the game. We let one play change the momentum and lost our rhythm.

Summed up perfectly
Bullseye you’re on point as usual, but it still boils down to:

1) We didn’t move the ball efficiently

2) We didn’t stop the run

3) We committed ill-timed mistakes (drops/penalties/points left on the field.)

Disappointing performance.
Always on point, Bullseye.

I'm just beginning to sift through some replay and a few things are standing out. There were several moments of poor execution from many players. The more I watch the more I see.

I'll point out a few that may have flown under the radar.

In the third quarter with the game tied, the Jags run a toss to Fournette on 3rd and 1. Fournette has the speed and power to challenge the CB (and maybe the safety if he takes the right angle) for the outside, but instead of sprinting for the corner he turns upfield into a wash of defenders. 
It didn't help that Cann appeared to be tripped up trying to pull and seal, but Fournette had a much better chance in that situation racing Claiborne to the border than making a cut upfield into three unblocked defenders.

Ends up a loss of four yards and a punt.

The jets then scored with the long McGuire run.  The Jags were in nickel on that snap. 
[Image: Screen_Shot_2017_10_02_at_1_10_02_AM.png]

Malik Jackson looks like he's playing hurt / not 100%. Just seems a bit sluggish compared to watching his play to this point. 

Ankou and Smoot both had a flash or two in run defense despite the team struggling there overall. 

On a number of obvious passing downs, the LBs and DBs are all just watching Bortles eyes and he's telegraphing the heck out of where he's going with the ball. 

This whacky sidearm thing is ridiculous: 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Wow that pass is atrocious.
Spot on Bullseye.

I got the feeling the defense was overconfident after the first drive, that first TD should never happen. I don't know why we weren't committed on stopping the run as we should have.
I think that on the Mcguire TD run (which was on a 1 & 10) we were in nickel as I saw Colvin on the field, wonder why.
Those 3 long runs were costly, it's still encouraging that once they fixed the run defense we were able to get turnovers and constantly stopping the Jets.

The offense was horrible. After a very good first drive and another decent one later it was painful to watch.
I think Bortles was 6/7 after the first drive which means he went on from there to a 9/28. It just won't work like that, pretty much every crossing route he throws behind the receiver, the batted passes, the poor accuracy. There are 8-9 men in the box, you gotta find the receiver.
Seems like we always start well on offense with the scripted plays probably, then when the game gets going if we don't have a comfortable lead the offense just implodes.

It was a sloppy game by both teams, it was a race on who wanted to lose it more.

Finally playcalling was questionable. It's obvious the team doesn't have enough confidence in the passing game. On crucial third downs Fournette has to be there, you don't keep your 4th overall pick on the sideline on the crucial downs. 
Why did we threw 3 times with less than a minute left on the clock to the end of the game while at the 6 yard line?
I don't care if Fournette was temporarily out with injury, just run it at least once, run the clock (we also had a TO) but don't put it in Bortles hands 3 times in a row.
We basically threw it away 3 times and left 46 seconds to the Jets who had 2 TO. Poor clock management.
Defense was great though in those moments, too bad the forced fumble was recovered by McCown.

A bad game by both teams. I just don't know how long we can keep going with having to hold our breath anytime our QB has to throw more than 5 yards or our kicker steps onto the field for a FG.
Pages: 1 2 3 4