Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: "The Bortles Conundrum"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just stumbled on a reference to this article in the comments section of today's O-zone:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/19/blake-bort...-nfl-draft

The analysis seems spot on. At this point I am really starting to question Caldwell's player evaluation ability and judgment. He was completely wrong on Joeckel and then picked a quarterback that was absolutely raw and unprepared for the NFL. Also, instead of hiring accomplished coaches to help him develop, he relies on people that have been proven failures in the past, like Greg Olson. 

Maybe we should have picked Teddy "backup" Bridgewater, Javeon "bust no heart" clowney, or Johnny "out of NFL" Manziel.

Those were the only 3 picks 98% of this board wanted.

When are you just gonna face it that it doesn't matter WHO the Jags would have picked when you have Shad Khan, a (16-55) owner and Gus Bradley, a (14-41) coach.

It's not on Caldwell. It's on the inept owner and coaching.

(10-26) Bortles record as a starter looks GREAT compared to the two losers records above. Especially when you factor in that Gus defense averaged giving up 26 ppg BEFORE Bortles was drafted and now 28 ppg AFTER
I don't agree with you. First of all, I wasn't suggesting picking any of the people you listed above. He could have easily picked Carr who everyone was saying was the most pro-ready of the bunch at the time. Instead, he decided to roll with Bortles who needs a lot of work. Second, Caldwell is the one that chose Bradley to be the head coach and I am sure had significant input in approving the remaining coaches. Third, Shad Khan is not very knowledgeable about football and I am sure relies heavily on Caldwell when it comes to personnel decisions. 
Last offseason Bortles spent most of his time working with one the best QB developers in the country. During the regular season he broke pretty much every single season QB record the Jags have.

This offseason he spent his time working with the Jaguars coaches. During the regular season he is playing some of the worst football I've ever seen.

Correlation does not imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'

Can Teddy throw a spiral? Yes.

Does he drop the ball down to his hip to make a 5 yard throw? No.

Does he throw tantrums on the field? No.

Teddy > Bortles. Shame about his knee.
Quote:I don't agree with you. First of all, I wasn't suggesting picking any of the people you listed above. He could have easily picked Carr who everyone was saying was the most pro-ready of the bunch at the time. Instead, he decided to roll with Bortles who needs a lot of work. Second, Caldwell is the one that chose Bradley to be the head coach and I am sure had significant input in approving the remaining coaches. Third, Shad Khan is not very knowledgeable about football and I am sure relies heavily on Caldwell when it comes to personnel decisions.

Monday morning QB. The Jags should have selected Amari Cooper over Fowler. What's your point? It's the JAGUARS!
Quote:Can Teddy throw a spiral? Yes.

Does he drop the ball down to his hip to make a 5 yard throw? No.

Does he throw tantrums on the field? No.

Teddy > Bortles. Shame about his knee.
The Vikings upgraded. Teddy was NEVER ever getting his job back even if healthy. He's done.

Throwing 16 TDs a season isn't a NFL QB even on the best defensive team in the NFL, it's not good.

Please dont try to argue with any logic and reason with spacecoastjag, it won't work.

Bortles is da best and that's the only argument he has.

Quote:Monday morning QB. The Jags should have selected Amari Cooper over Fowler. What's your point? It's the JAGUARS!

Ok. You seem in a bad mood today. I hope you feel better soon!
Quote:Please dont try to argue with any logic and reason with spacecoastjag, it won't work.

Bortles is da best and that's the only argument he has.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying the problems are Khan and Gus and the Jags aren't finding a better QB than Bortles. That's all.
Quote:Last offseason Bortles spent most of his time working with one the best QB developers in the country. During the regular season he broke pretty much every single season QB record the Jags have.

This offseason he spent his time working with the Jaguars coaches. During the regular season he is playing some of the worst football I've ever seen.

Correlation does not imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'

Absolutely. But it is really perplexing that he learned the proper mechanics in one off-season working with Tom House and then by the next off-season forgot everything that he learned. 
Quote:I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying the problems are Khan and Gus and the Jags aren't finding a better QB than Bortles. That's all.

Change up your name and avatar, clown. You aren't a Jags fan.
Quote:Absolutely. But it is really perplexing that he learned the proper mechanics in one off-season working with Tom House and then by the next off-season forgot everything that he learned.

It's not perplexing at all. It's about as perplexing as leading the NFL in penalties. He's 24 and has ZERO coaching. Gus can't even manage a defense and he's a "defensive guru". You think Gus can manage an offense?! Bahahaha
Quote:The Vikings upgraded. Teddy was NEVER ever getting his job back even if healthy. He's done.

Throwing 16 TDs a season isn't a NFL QB even on the best defensive team in the NFL, it's not good.
Teddy won more games last year than Blake has won in his career. Oh yeah he's also younger than Blake so you can't even go to your standard 'but he's only 24' whinefest. 
Quote:Teddy won more games last year than Blake has won in his career. Oh yeah he's also younger than Blake so you can't even go to your standard 'but he's only 24' whinefest.
Of course he did. Teddy had a 17 ppg defense. Blake had a 28 ppg defense.

Blake lost to the Titans 39-42.

Wake me up when 16 TD season backup Teddy throws 5 TDs in a game much less half a season.

LOL he has Adrian Peterson and Jags have Yeldon.

Jags fans are inept.
Quote:It's not perplexing at all. It's about as perplexing as leading the NFL in penalties. He's 24 and has ZERO coaching. Gus can't even manage a defense and he's a "defensive guru". You think Gus can manage an offense?! Bahahaha
Does Bortles have pics of you or something? Bradley and Bortles both suck.
Quote:Does Bortles have pics of you or something? Bradley and Bortles both suck.

We will see when Blake throws for 30 and 4400 again.

With YOUR reasoning, Philip Rivers sucks too.
Quote:Teddy won more games last year than Blake has won in his career. Oh yeah he's also younger than Blake so you can't even go to your standard 'but he's only 24' whinefest. 
Counterpoint: Sam Bradford jumped into that team with no training camp and only one week of prep and has outperformed Bridgewater even while losing Adrian Peterson.
Quote:Of course he did. Teddy had a 17 ppg defense. Blake had a 28 ppg defense.

Blake lost to the Titans 39-42.

Wake me up when 16 TD season backup Teddy throws 5 TDs in a game much less half a season.

LOL he has Adrian Peterson and Jags have Yeldon.

Jags fans are inept.
I knew this is how you were going to respond. You are wonderful at circular reasoning.

Teddy has stats that would reflect he had an elite defense and a running game = him sucking. Blake has stats that would reflect he piled up stats while trailing by double digits almost every game = ELITE. 

The Jaguars ineptitude as a franchise is only matched by your logical ineptitude. 
Quote:I knew this is how you were going to respond. You are wonderful at circular reasoning.

Teddy has stats that would reflect he had an elite defense and a running game = him sucking. Blake has stats that would reflect he piled up stats while trailing by double digits almost every game = ELITE. 

The Jaguars ineptitude as a franchise is only matched by your logical ineptitude.

Unfortunately, Teddy is a backup. He can't throw the ball over 15 yards.
Pages: 1 2 3