Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Dave Caldwell Quote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Sorry if this was already posted, but I didn't see any mention of it anywhere.

<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p class=""> 

</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<ol class="">[*]

<div> 

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'>[Image: 05c384a89ebb1b1a849ff289404e3d64_bigger.jpeg] Ryan O'Halloran ‏@<b>ryanohalloran</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/792464524192411649' title="1:34 PM - 29 Oct 2016">3h3 hours ago</a>

<p class="">Caldwell to T-U: "Everybody is responsible for the situation we’re in today and that includes the players." <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#<b>Jaguars</b></a>[Image: NFL_Season_2016_JAX.png]

<p class=""> 

<p class="">This quote seems to be an attempt by Dave to deflect the blame from Gus.  I'm telling I won't be surprised at all if Gus is the head coach next year.  I think it probably takes 7 wins for him to come back, but it's pretty obvious to me that he still has the support of the GM and Owner and I'm sure that they are hoping to retain him and not fire him.  Of course lets just hope they get it turned around and start winning games, then everyone wins!

</div>
</div>

</ol></div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

Nope ya drawing at straws.  Everyone would include gus.

Yeah you may be right.  I guess time will tell.

Quote:Nope ya drawing at straws.  Everyone would include gus.
...and himself.
Dave should be gone too.
"Everyone"

That's not deflection. W/O context you can't read too far into it. 

Naw, I dont think its a deflection. I think its just an objective statement. Gus will be gone unless we miraculously get to 9-7, I dont think even 8-8 would save him at this point. 

Quote:...and himself.

Agreed.    Especially,  considering he hired Gus and as GM is responsible for the personnel decisions.  

There are different degrees of responsibility for the Jags current situation.   Caldwell very likely has done a better job as GM than Gus Bradley as HC and the players collectively on the field.   Yet,  the team's situation is a collective effort.
Quote:Naw, I dont think its a deflection. I think its just an objective statement. Gus will be gone unless we miraculously get to 9-7, I dont think even 8-8 would save him at this point.

Let's see:

9-7 or 8-8

The Jags will have to go 7-2 or 6-3 the rest of the year just to reach that.

Will that happen with the remaining schedule?

SERIOUSLY Doubtful.
Quote:Naw, I dont think its a deflection. I think its just an objective statement. Gus will be gone unless we miraculously get to 9-7, I dont think even 8-8 would save him at this point. 

Time will tell.  But my gut feeling is an 8-8 record would save Gus' job.   Especially,  being that the Jags would have won 6 out of the remaining 9 games.   Being that Gus has never had a 6 win season before,   he certainly has an uphill battle to even get to 8-8.    Many of the young players will have to come of age quickly,   not to mention a much better version of Blake Bortles on the field. 
Good. A challenge to the players.
Quote:Agreed. Especially, considering he hired Gus and as GM is responsible for the personnel decisions.  

There are different degrees of responsibility for the Jags current situation. Caldwell very likely has done a better job as GM than Gus Bradley as HC and the players collectively on the field. Yet, the team's situation is a collective effort.

That is obvious now that we have the right players to win with a better coaching staff. Dave Caldwell is certainly responsible for some mistakes, but outside of the 2013 draft (his first), he has done a pretty good job.
Quote:That is obvious now that we have the right players to win with a better coaching staff. Dave Caldwell is certainly responsible for some mistakes, but outside of the 2013 draft (his first), he has done a pretty good job.

Are you certain that the Jaguars have the right players,  even with a better coaching staff?

I thought the team should win 8 or 9 games this season when factoring in everything.   But it's possible the talent at some positions isn't as good as appeared to be the case. 

The reality of the situation is when a team doesn't meet expectations,  everything needs to be looked at with a fine tooth comb.
Dave Caldwell had to be looking into the mirror when he said this.  This is after all his roster.

8 or 9 wins? Hahahahahahahaha. It would take this coaching staff 2-3 years to win that many games.

This season is 2008 x 1000...

The remainder of the season's sole focus should be trying to get Bortles back to a decent level of play instead of looking like Akili Smith, Cade McKnown, USC QB's x 5, etc, etc, etc...
Quote: Time will tell.  But my gut feeling is an 8-8 record would save Gus' job.   Especially,  being that the Jags would have won 6 out of the remaining 9 games.   Being that Gus has never had a 6 win season before,   he certainly has an uphill battle to even get to 8-8.    Many of the young players will have to come of age quickly,   not to mention a much better version of Blake Bortles on the field. 
8-8 really?  We play denver, detroit on the road, in KC, at houston, vikings, and titans team that just spanked us.  It ain't happening.  I would bet money we are going to get spanked in some of those games.

I like Dave, he deserves more time, at least a second go around at coach and an attempt to correct Bortles.
I admit I would like to take a look at bortles with a good running game.  My major issue is he is missing the easy throws.

Quote:8-8 really?  We play denver, detroit on the road, in KC, at houston, vikings, and titans team that just spanked us.  It ain't happening.  I would bet money we are going to get spanked in some of those games.

I didn't say the Jaguars would still end up at 8-8.   I mentioned that before the season,   I thought that they would finish 8-8 or 9-7.    What I did say is it's now an uphill battle for the Jaguars to get to 8-8.   Each game presents different variables that no one can totally predict.    But unless something changes dramatically on the field,   I don't expect the Jaguars to get close to 8-8.  
Quote:Are you certain that the Jaguars have the right players,  even with a better coaching staff?

I thought the team should win 8 or 9 games this season when factoring in everything. But it's possible the talent at some positions isn't as good as appeared to be the case. 

The reality of the situation is when a team doesn't meet expectations, everything needs to be looked at with a fine tooth comb.

Not all 53 players, but enough to feel confident we can win the division with good coaches. It is Greg Olson's fault the offense went backward after playing very well last season. That is why he got a pink slip. The defense obviously is playing better more because of Dave Caldwell's additions than Todd Wash's promotion because he just tweaked Bob Babich's scheme.

Quote:Dave Caldwell had to be looking into the mirror when he said this. This is after all his roster.

Chad Henne, Paul Posluszny, Tyson Alualu, and Marcedes Lewis are holdovers. Only one of those four guys should be cut.

When Caldwell said "everyone" I am sure he included himself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4