Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I was going to argue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Before last night's game, I had been kicking around the idea of a post arguing that though Bradley deserves to be fired, there wouldn't be much point in firing him now, in midseason.

My rationale is that at best, it would be a half solution.  If Bradley is a negative, getting rid of the negative is only half of the answer at best.  The team isn't likely to make significant changes to the scheme.  If player development is an issue, the same coaches developing these players are going to be coaching them for the rest of the season.  Even assuming the team was willing to write a blank check to bring in a Coughlin or a Gruden or a Shanahan immediately, them assembling the coaching staff couldn't happen until after the football season anyway.

But this is different.

Allen Robinson, Telvin Smith, Blake Bortles, and Rashad Greene can trash the fans for booing all they like and dismiss the import of our angst as the whining of spoiled fans.

But when accomplished and respected guys like Bill Cowher and Deion Sanders publicly call the team out on national television for quitting, there is nothing Robinson, et al, can say to refute that.

There is nothing they can say to dismiss 14-41.

There is nothing they can say that can mitigate 1 good quarter of play in the last 12.

My argument now is that Bradley needs to be fired immediately.  Even if the interim coach is not his long term replacement, the team needs a catalyst to boost its effort beyond that of perfunctory obligation. 

Jaguars football needs to mean something more than going through the motions.

Can't think of a meaningful reason not to go with an interim coach for the remainder of 2016.
I agree. I always say it's pointless to have a mid season firing since it wont do anything anyway, but at this point there is no downside to a change.  Yes, it probably does very little.  However, there is no hope right now.

Khan needs to fire him. He needs to do it today but he will not. Should of been done last year. NFL is about winning and turning your team around. Right now, the Browns and Jaguars cannot do it. Everybody else seems to be in the mix....well the Rams have been struggling too...but everybody else turns it around.  

Khan needs to fire himself. He's a clown.

For a minute, lets pretend that its not even about player development. Let's just talk about player discipline. The crap that Ramsey and Fowler are pulling out there are pure signs of a HC that has lost his team. 

There are no arguments to keep Bradley. It's mind boggling that this owner is willing to stay the course.

Quote:Before last night's game, I had been kicking around the idea of a post arguing that though Bradley deserves to be fired, there wouldn't be much point in firing him now, in midseason.

My rationale is that at best, it would be a half solution.  If Bradley is a negative, getting rid of the negative is only half of the answer at best.  The team isn't likely to make significant changes to the scheme.  If player development is an issue, the same coaches developing these players are going to be coaching them for the rest of the season.  Even assuming the team was willing to write a blank check to bring in a Coughlin or a Gruden or a Shanahan immediately, them assembling the coaching staff couldn't happen until after the football season anyway.

But this is different.

Allen Robinson, Telvin Smith, Blake Bortles, and Rashad Greene can trash the fans for booing all they like and dismiss the import of our angst and the whining of spoiled fans.

But when accomplished and respected guys like Bill Cowher and Deion Sanders publicly call the team out on national television for quitting, there is nothing Robinson, et al, can say to refute that.

There is nothing they can say to dismiss 14-41.

There is nothing they can say that can mitigate 1 good quarter of play in the last 12.

My argument now is that Bradley needs to be fired immediately.  Even if the interim coach is not his long term replacement, the team needs a catalyst to boost its effort beyond that of perfunctory obligation. 

Jaguars football needs to mean something more than going through the motions.
That is Mr Khan's rational as well...If no problem will be solved, what's the point? Appease the fans? They have never bowed to fan pressure before and I don't think they will now either...Like you said, removing Gus is not the entire solution, to the problem, it's only part of it...The only difference that would be noticeable. would be we wouldn't see Gus anymore, everything else would more than likely remain the same 

Wrong box,

The problem with NOT firing Gus now is it precludes the possibility, no matter how remote, that a viable solution is actually on the team.

Suppose Marrone (for instance) COULD get better effort from the team?

If the problem with Bradley is, as so many have offered, he fails to hold players sufficiently accountable, then is it that far fetched to suggest that perhaps dumping Bradley and replacing him with Marrone could get players from feeling invulnerable to accountable, and playing harder and smarter? 

The only positive I can see for keeping him is that it will let players know that tanking to replace a coach will not work.

I think for most of those who are against a mid-season change, a large reason for it is that the players believe in the Head Coach. Maybe that is still the case. And maybe whoever the interim is doesn't help. But at this point, I've given up. A change has to be made. Whatever we're doing, its not working. Players are undisciplined, make fundamental mistakes, unprepared, and for the first time last night, I thought effort was lacking.

When those things happen, in a game as big as last night just days after the owner talked to the entire team...then it's over.

It's time to pull the plug.

Quote:I think for most of those who are against a mid-season change, a large reason for it is that the players believe in the Head Coach. Maybe that is still the case. And maybe whoever the interim is doesn't help. But at this point, I've given up. A change has to be made. Whatever we're doing, its not working. Players are undisciplined, make fundamental mistakes, unprepared, and for the first time last night, I thought effort was lacking.

When those things happen, in a game as big as last night just days after the owner talked to the entire team...then it's over.

It's time to pull the plug.

The effort, if you can call it that, displayed last night does not back up this thought at all. If that's how they play for a coach they believe in, I can't wait to see how they play for one they don't. That's legitimately football so bad it creates a paradox and destroys reality-type ish.
I knew it from the get-go (please let me eat my words later this week *prays* lol). Khan has no marbles...... I wouldn't be surprise now if he let Gus work out his contract with the 1 year extension........... #weAreAjoke

Quote:Khan needs to fire himself. He's a clown.

More than likely he'd fire the city and the fanbase, so don't say stuff like that. 
There are no words that describes why or how Khan has not fired Bradley by now

Quote:I agree. I always say it's pointless to have a mid season firing since it wont do anything anyway, but at this point there is no downside to a change.  Yes, it probably does very little.  However, there is no hope right now.

There is a downside to any change we might make. regardless of when Shad Khan pulls the trigger. The effects of firing Gus Bradley now could be both positive and negative depending on how the players respond. I fail to see how it can be all good to fire Bradley midseason because, like Bullseye said, no assistant coach changes will be made either way.
I'd like to know what Dave thinks of this and what his involvement, if any, in the decision to keep him is.

The GM has arguably disappeared in all this.

Last word we heard from him, is that it's "Khan's decision."

Well, it's Dave's QB and Dave's coach, so hopefully he's being re-evaluated by Khan as well.

He was part of Khan's "what's wrong?" meeting takeover, too.  But I don't recall him taking a prominent role.  Khan blew right through/past him to address the team.

The top doesn't do that unless he knows there are issues all the way down.

Quote:There are no arguments to keep Bradley. It's mind boggling that this owner is willing to stay the course.

What's mind-boggling is you don't see the crystal clear fact that nothing changes except the number of coaches on the sideline.
Quote:I'd like to know what Dave thinks of this and what his involvement, if any, in the decision to keep him is.

The GM has arguably disappeared in all this.

Last word we heard from him, is that it's "Khan's decision."

Well, it's Dave's QB and Dave's coach, so hopefully he's being re-evaluated by Khan as well.

He was part of Khan's "what's wrong?" meeting takeover, too.  But I don't recall him taking a prominent role.  Khan blew right through/past him to address the team.

The top doesn't do that unless he knows there are issues all the way down.

I think Caldwell tied himself at the hip to Gus this past offseason by making a decision to keep him.

I hear a lot about there being talent on this team. And there probably is, but right now this team is a disaster. And Caldwell is the architect over this disaster.

I don't see many reasons to keep Caldwell at this point.

Had Caldwell fired Bradley last year and said something like "the team did not progress the way they anticipated and a change was needed", I think he may get the benefit of the doubt. 

I think he and Khan took quite a leap of faith last year in keeping Bradley and it has back fired, big time.

Perhaps Caldwell did want Bradley fired last year and Khan declined. I don't know. But we do have to assume he was in the camp of wanting to keep Bradley and needs to be gone.
Quote:What's mind-boggling is you don't see the crystal clear fact that nothing changes except the number of coaches on the sideline.

You probably need to just leave this to the adults. Troll elsewhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 4