Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bortles job is on the line next Sunday
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
2 bad performances in a row for Bortles.  If he has another stinker again vs Buffalo it's almost a guarantee he's out next year.
I agree with you 100%. All those December games will be forgotten about pretty quickly.
well they have to find somebody to replace him with first
(01-01-2018, 12:51 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]2 bad performances in a row for Bortles.  If he has another stinker again vs Buffalo it's almost a guarantee he's out next year.

I don’t think pro football teams think that way.   I think they will evaluate him based on the entire body of work and what they think he could be going forward.   Not just one game.   They’ve seen him in practice, they’ve seen him in meetings, they’ve seen him in every game he’s ever played.   They know him inside and out.   They won’t evaluate him based on just one single game.
(01-01-2018, 12:52 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]well they have to find somebody to replace him with first

With free agency and the draft there are plenty of options
(01-01-2018, 12:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2018, 12:51 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]2 bad performances in a row for Bortles.  If he has another stinker again vs Buffalo it's almost a guarantee he's out next year.

I don’t think pro football teams think that way.   I think they will evaluate him based on the entire body of work and what they think he could be going forward.   Not just one game.   They’ve seen him in practice, they’ve seen him in meetings, they’ve seen him in every game he’s ever played.   They know him inside and out.   They won’t evaluate him based on just one single game.

Eh. They have seen him in practice and games and blah blah blah. That’s why this game will decide his future. He hasn’t been impressive but winning in the playoffs will make up for it. If he can’t  come up big when it matters, what’s the point of having the dude
Man wouldn’t it be cool if Playoff Blake was better than December 3 game win streak Blake?
(01-01-2018, 12:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

I just see a QB who is still every inconsistent, misses many easy balls, and lacks the football IQ to check out of a 9 man box.
(01-01-2018, 01:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Man wouldn’t it be cool if Playoff Blake was better than December 3 game win streak Blake?

That would be awesome, good point. Let's cross our fingers.
(01-01-2018, 01:20 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Man wouldn’t it be cool if Playoff Blake was better than December 3 game win streak Blake?

Doesn't even need to be better, just the same. But extend it to 4 games.
Thank god, I was just thinking what this forum needed was another thread about Bortles.
(01-01-2018, 01:29 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]Thank god, I was just thinking what this forum needed was another thread about Bortles.

Lol, good one!
Hard to know what the front office is thinking on Bortles at this point.

Clearly - he could help himself by showing up Sunday and playing like he did in one of the 6 or so really good games he played in the 2017 regular season.

But - I kind-of think that the powers that be already have some sort of contingency in the works for the QB position. It might be about trading up to draft a guy, it might be about spending big in free agency, it might be about just bringing in competition without spending big or trading up. No matter what it is, I don't think there's any way that they just stand pat and roll with Bortles as their chief and only real viable option next year. His inconsistency simply won't allow them to do that.

If he goes on a tear in the playoffs and proves me wrong I'll be ecstatic, I just don't see it working out that way.
(01-01-2018, 01:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to know what the front office is thinking on Bortles at this point.

Clearly - he could help himself by showing up Sunday and playing like he did in one of the 6 or so really good games he played in the 2017 regular season.

But - I kind-of think that the powers that be already have some sort of contingency in the works for the QB position.  It might be about trading up to draft a guy, it might be about spending big in free agency, it might be about just bringing in competition without spending big or trading up.  No matter what it is, I don't think there's any way that they just stand pat and roll with Bortles as their chief and only real viable option next year. His inconsistency simply won't allow them to do that.

If he goes on a tear in the playoffs and proves me wrong I'll be ecstatic, I just don't see it working out that way.

I think we'd all be surprised if they don't address the position in some way (barring Blake dominating the playoffs) 

I still think the most likely course is Blake and a high round rookie.
I may be in a small minority of thinking this but I think Bortles goes off this weekend. I think he thrives under the pressure and ultra competitive nature of the playoffs and we see Blake at his best.
No it isn't.
(01-01-2018, 01:58 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: [ -> ]I may be in a small minority of thinking this but I think Bortles goes off this weekend.  I think he thrives under the pressure and ultra competitive nature of the playoffs and we see Blake at his best.

I think this year's "good Blake" is significantly closer to the real Blake than the one the past 2 weeks or years under Gus. Would not surprise me one bit for him to go off in the playoffs. Or the rest of the team for that matter.
(01-01-2018, 01:58 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: [ -> ]I may be in a small minority of thinking this but I think Bortles goes off this weekend.  I think he thrives under the pressure and ultra competitive nature of the playoffs and we see Blake at his best.

There is a little merit to this, but you also have examples of him completely folding under pressure. And you have a lot more  "folding" than you do "going off".  He is a average-ish QB who can play well for a handful of games. Cole catches that TD throw, that EASY touchdown, we probably win yesterday... But he still threw 2 picks and went what, 1-8 in the 4th? We need a QB.
In fairness to Bortles, he is playing with two rookie receivers - and yesterday, they definitely showed that they were rookies. You can't blame Bortles for a Westbrook pass in the end zone that hit him right in the hands. Dede catches that, we win the game. And Cole's fumble after his catch cost us three points.

After watching Blake, I notice he makes his mistakes when he tries to force a play. That's what caused his first interception - he was trying to make a play, and threw off the back of his foot. I think that is correctable.

Despite his mistakes, he's improved a great deal over the last year. I bet the Jags give him another year. I would also hope that they draft another QB in the first or second round - just in case.
I think Bortles will have a good game against the Bills. I like the matchup. I don't think the Bills' D line will manhandle the Jags front, giving Blake clean pockets and time (I think and hope anyway).

IIRC, Bortles wasn't even freaking touched by a defender for almost the entire Seattle game (same with the Cincy/Colts matchups where he was barely touched).

He was very good in those games, especially on 3rd down. I think we'll see a repeat of those good performances.
He'll look really good (efficient, at least) against Buffalo as the Jags practically dominate their way to a WC victory.

The game I'm more interested to see which Bortles shows up is in a Rd 2 matchup @PITT.  He did not look that good vs Pittsburgh earlier this year (that game was very close until the Jags D  took over and LF's big run).

The Pitt game is what concerns me about BB, not vs the Bills
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6