Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Are you allowed to chant "Duval" if you have never lived in Florida?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Serious question. Been a fan since Day 1 of the Jags but I've never lived in the state of Florida. At times when I give a "Duval" chant to my wife or at home....I feel awkward knowing I don't even live in Jacksonville nor have I ever.

What is protocol on this? Is one allowed just because they are a fan? Or is it based on only having lived in Florida that you can do it? I mean basically it's a chant for the county so does that not look weird if you aren't from there?

Not sure if this should be here or in the Fargin's Flyby forum. Feel free to move it. I just need answers. I need them now.
The correct answer is no.

It is kind of weird if you haven’t lived here but who cares.

Of course you can. It shows support for the city and the team. Scream it all you want lol
Why not? Continue to show your support however you like!
(03-16-2018, 10:10 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Serious question. Been a fan since Day 1 of the Jags but I've never lived in the state of Florida. At times when I give a "Duval" chant to my wife or at home....I feel awkward knowing I don't even live in Jacksonville nor have I ever.

What is protocol on this? Is one allowed just because they are a fan? Or is it based on only having lived in Florida that you can do it? I mean basically it's a chant for the county so does that not look weird if you aren't from there?

Not sure if this should be here or in the Fargin's Flyby forum. Feel free to move it. I just need answers. I need them now.

To me, chant away.  You are supporting the Jaguars.

Just be prepared to explain the chant to anyone watching the game with you who doesn't know what it's about, and why you are chanting it if you haven't been there.
(03-16-2018, 10:13 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]The correct answer is no.

But of course you can. It shows support for the city and the team. Scream it all you want lol

What if I’ve been a long time fan but have always lived south of the border in St. John’s?

My answer: I still think it sounds stupid.  So I personally don’t chant it.  That and I don’t even live in the county.

To answer the question, I say if you feel it, do it.
We are all Duuuvaaal.
You can chant whatever the hell you want to chant man.
Duuuuvalll vs all ya'll
Hell yeah you can.

The more people shouting out DUVAL, the better.
Stand Tall, for Duuvall
(03-16-2018, 10:22 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]You can chant whatever the hell you want to chant man.

So we can be like the Eagles fans? Smile
(03-16-2018, 10:19 AM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-16-2018, 10:13 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]The correct answer is no.

But of course you can. It shows support for the city and the team. Scream it all you want lol

What if I’ve been a long time fan but have always lived south of the border in St. John’s?

My answer: I still think it sounds stupid.  So I personally don’t chant it.  That and I don’t even live in the county.

Well I’m speaking from a place of a person who was saying it before it was adopted by the team as a marketing thing. For me, it was a growing up in Jacksonville thing and we would say it when we went of to school in Tallahassee in the club to rep the city. 

Now it has a different meaning and use. It is what it is. If people wanna rep the city everywhere it’s cool. I think it’s cool to see people who aren’t from Jacksonville yell duval or people in other countries say it. I remember when Jacksonville was a just a reststop on 95 and where it meets with I-10. I love it and I’m happy to see the city growing from where it was.
With respect to the Jags, Duval isn't a place, it's a state of mind. Holler away!
Well, I’m not sure how to answer you. The support for the team is great, but you definitely have a conundrum on your hands. For me, the chant Duval has a significant meaning and goes beyond the Jaguars. Duval means home to me. It’s where I learned to fish and boat. It’s where i experienced my first love and my first heart break. It blasting Lynyrd Skynyrd, 38 special, and Molly Hatchet and everyone knows every word. It’s getting stuck in the mud off of Greenland road and i95 and the party that ensues to pull you out.
I was born and raised in the Mandarin area, finished High School and went straight into basic training with the US Coast Guard. When I graduated boot camp I received orders to south Florida for 3 years and then some how found my southern self in Rockland Maine after that (yikes!).
   For me, there is no greater feeling than driving home no matter from what direction and seeing that sign “Entering Duval County”.
Now I don’t know if that helps you at all, but at least you know how I (and plenty of others) feel. Duuuval! Isn’t just a chant, it’s our home. Go Jags!
(03-16-2018, 10:26 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-16-2018, 10:19 AM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]What if I’ve been a long time fan but have always lived south of the border in St. John’s?

Well I’m speaking from a place of a person who was saying it before it was adopted by the team as a marketing thing. For me, it was a growing up in Jacksonville thing and we would say it when we went of to school in Tallahassee in the club to rep the city. 

Now it has a different meaning and use. It is what it is. If people wanna rep the city everywhere it’s cool. I think it’s cool to see people who aren’t from Jacksonville yell duval or people in other countries say it. I remember when Jacksonville was a just a reststop on 95 and where it meets with I-10. I love it and I’m happy to see the city growing from where it was.

Yeah, I remember that thread with the origin.  I learned a few things.   I always thought it was a team thing.  But it seems the players and fans have adopted it.  And I think it’s cool that the team has ‘their” thing.  I can understand the question that was posed.  I can see how it would be awkward yelling/repping a place you’ve never been.  But let’s say one was a huge packers fan.  Yelling “Go pack Go” is a team chant.  Even outside the region no one would think anything.  The Duval chant is unique since it narrows it to an area on a map.  but in the context of the chant and it’s intent, I feel it can be yelled by all fans everywhere like chants from other teams.
(03-16-2018, 10:24 AM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-16-2018, 10:22 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]You can chant whatever the hell you want to chant man.

So we can be like the Eagles fans? Smile

I wouldn't go that far. You can chant whatever you want.... but you have to live with the circumstances and consequences from said chant afterwards.
I'm old enough to know the chant Duuuval has nothing to do with the Jaguars. It's kind of a territorial thing that was started by Easy E. On Friday nights on 93.3 the beat was a thing.

But then Mike Peterson or Spicer, and it caught on.
(03-16-2018, 10:38 AM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-16-2018, 10:26 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I’m speaking from a place of a person who was saying it before it was adopted by the team as a marketing thing. For me, it was a growing up in Jacksonville thing and we would say it when we went of to school in Tallahassee in the club to rep the city. 

Yeah, I remember that thread with the origin.  I learned a few things.   I always thought it was a team thing.  But it seems the players and fans have adopted it.  And I think it’s cool that the team has ‘their” thing.  I can understand the question that was posed.  I can see how it would be awkward yelling/repping a place you’ve never been.  But let’s say one was a huge packers fan.  Yelling “Go pack Go” is a team chant.  Even outside the region no one would think anything.  The Duval chant is unique since it narrows it to an area on a map.  but in the context of the chant and it’s intent, I feel it can be yelled by all fans everywhere like chants from other teams.

I mean I agree with what you are saying. I just remember this is something that used to be looked down upon by those not in the know. It was looked at as a gang member thing (even tho that’s not even the case). Now all of a sudden it has been reformed into this new repacked team chant. Like stated before that chant means a little more to me than just the jaguars. Had them team left back in 2011 I would have still yelled it. But hey it is  what it is. The team is the city and im watching it grow. I’m happy about that
No
ok, since I’ve never lived in Duval and have only been in the area for 20 years I won’t chant it out of respect for you other guys. But, mainly because I think it sounds silly. Smile deal?
Pages: 1 2 3