Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Are we expecting too much from a young talented team?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is a young team with a lot of upside but are we the fans expecting too much from them, since this is a very inexperienced team still learning how to gel with one another. How much time does a young team need to mature?
This is a young team with a lot of upside but are we the fans expecting too much from them, since this is a very inexperienced team still learning how to gel with one another. How much time does a young team need to mature?
We're in year 4. Khan said it's playoff time.
Quote:We're in year 4. Khan said it's playoff time.
Thats not what he said...Khan said "a winning season is a reasonable expectation" 
Quote:This is a young team with a lot of upside but are we the fans expecting too much from them, since this is a very inexperienced team still learning how to gel with one another. How much time does a young team need to mature?
That is a big factor...Some posters think that the rookies are supposed to come in playing better than seasoned vets and make all the difference in the world...some see big named vets on the roster and think that you can just throw a bunch of good players together and have them play together as if they played together forever...Some think that because we are in year 4 the players should all be set and playing like pro bowlers...

Now that being said...There is a lot of talent on the roster, but I believe this year they are playing as they should have been playing last year other than at QB who seems to have regressed...There was a thread prior to the start of the season something like how we thought this season would go...I said I thought we would start out slow and get better as we went along and finish the season strong, but most felt as if we were going to be bad [BLEEP] from the first kick off...

We see every year after the draft, people saying we will be great this year, and have very high expectations, only to fall far short...

I think we should be better than we are, but not as good as most people believe...I think 7-9 is where we will be
Quote:That is a big factor...Some posters think that the rookies are supposed to come in playing better than seasoned vets and make all the difference in the world...some see big named vets on the roster and think that you can just throw a bunch of good players together and have them play together as if they played together forever...Some think that because we are in year 4 the players should all be set and playing like pro bowlers...

Now that being said...There is a lot of talent on the roster, but I believe this year they are playing as they should have been playing last year other than at QB who seems to have regressed...There was a thread prior to the start of the season something like how we thought this season would go...I said I thought we would start out slow and get better as we went along and finish the season strong, but most felt as if we were going to be bad [BAD WORD REMOVED] from the first kick off...

We see every year after the draft, people saying we will be great this year, and have very high expectations, only to fall far short...

I think we should be better than we are, but not as good as most people believe...I think 7-9 is where we will be

You hit on a couple of important points.

1.  Rookies don't typically come in and play at an "elite" NFL level right off the bat.  There is a learning curve involved.  The Pro game is very much faster with bigger and stronger players.

2.  The roster is VERY different now than it was 4, 3 or even 2 seasons ago.

3.  As the players play with one another, things will start "clicking".  Teams that were supposed to be "playoff contenders" are struggling while teams that were supposedly "not good" are having good seasons thus far.  It's only October...
I think we brought in a lot of talent in the offseason and hopefully they all start to mesh around week 8 especially the defense and Oline

Yes, Michael Jordan didn't win his first championship till he was 28. So, we have 4 years to go till blake wins a super bowl
Quote:Yes, Michael Jordan didn't win his first championship till he was 28. So, we have 4 years to go till blake wins a super bowl
WOOOOHOOOO!!! We have something to look forward to!
Quote:Thats not what he said...Khan said "a winning season is a reasonable expectation" 
Winning season in the AFC South means playoffs.

I think expectations are fair. Last year, offense seemed like it had arrived and we were waiting on defense. This year the defense has shown up but the offense is inconsistent. The really good teams we face later don't have elite qbs. We play smart, I think we can win a couple of games we weren't supposed to win. Defense would need to go up another level and the running game would need to surface.
Quote:Winning season in the AFC South means playoffs.
says who? Khan has never been cryptic, and he's always been clear and precise on what he expects...His statement has been repeated by him and others including Dave Caldwell several times and none of them have said the expectation is playoffs...
Quote:says who? Khan has never been cryptic, and he's always been clear and precise on what he expects...His statement has been repeated by him and others including Dave Caldwell several times and none of them have said the expectation is playoffs...
It's just the nature of this division. The team with the winning record will make the playoffs, our division stinks. That is why fans expect it, because it doesn't take much to get there.
Quote:It's just the nature of this division. The team with the winning record will make the playoffs, our division stinks. That is why fans expect it, because it doesn't take much to get there.
welp...I guess we will just have to wait and see
Absolutely not .Look at what we did last year on offense, when everybody was a year younger. Of course we should expect a lot from young players. Also, we got much older in March and April.

Bortles first year- 3-13

Bortles 2nd year- 5-11

Bortles 3rd year- 2-3

Constant improvement. Fans who say Bortles digressed after 5 games are a joke. It's called a SEASON for a reason. Bortles numbers at the end of the year will be great and these clowns who in Bortles first year wanted Gabbert back will be proven wrong again
Quote:Bortles first year- 3-13

Bortles 2nd year- 5-11

Bortles 3rd year- 2-3

Constant improvement. Fans who say Bortles digressed after 5 games are a joke. It's called a SEASON for a reason. Bortles' numbers at the end of the year will be great and these clowns who in Bortles' first year wanted Gabbert back will be proven wrong again

Blake only started 12 games his rookie season.

People say he regressed (digressed is not a word) because they are getting picky about things that are not his fault.
I would say yes, except that the part of our team that is new/inexperienced is the part of our team that is playing the best. The defense Has 7 rookies/FA playing major snaps and they are the side that looks good.

Our supposedly already explosive offense is only really working in two new players and they have regressed massively. Oh yeah and those two new players, Beachum and Omameh, are both playing very solidly.
It's built.
I'm not expecting anything. The Jaguars are the Jaguars. Not much else to be said. We run a bad system and aren't usually ready to play to win on Sundays. Any expectations set would just depress anyone foolish to raise them with this team.

Pages: 1 2 3