Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Coulda Had Cousins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jagua...e-bortles/

Sheesh. 

Adds salt in the wound. Money we wasted on Moncrief, Norwalk, etc could have gotten us a  insistent QB.
Gotta pay those defensive guys right? That's the excuse I keep hearing.

QB is the most important position. They didn't treat it as such. They chose an archaic style of building around a RB.
We could have had Alex Smith for a third-round pick and what amounts to a 3-year $71M contract, roughly $20M cheaper than Cousins over the same time frame. Factor in Bortles' release and it's just about a wash that gets you a competent game manager who can direct traffic and not make stupid decisions with the ball. Cousins was way too expensive for a team so heavily invested in defense, we knew that, but Alex Smith would have been a perfect upgrade at QB.
(10-28-2018, 03:39 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]We could have had Alex Smith for a third-round pick and what amounts to a 3-year $71M contract, roughly $20M cheaper than Cousins over the same time frame. Factor in Bortles' release and it's just about a wash that gets you a competent game manager who can direct traffic and not make stupid decisions with the ball. Cousins was way too expensive for a team so heavily invested in defense, we knew that, but Alex Smith would have been a perfect upgrade at QB.

I like Alex Smith and he would have been perfect for this O.

The problem with the Cousins train is it was the Jimmy G train before and then whatever QB is playing well before that.
(10-28-2018, 03:28 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Gotta pay those defensive guys right? That's the excuse I keep hearing.

QB is the most important position. They didn't treat it as such. They chose an archaic style of building around a RB.

Yep, not to mention a lot of those defensive players are highly overrated here. 

Church is slightly above average. 
Gipson same
Dareus good but nothing special
M. Jackson good not great
Ngakoue, same as Malik
Jack is pretty good but doesn't deserve a gigantic deal. 

Oh yeah an Ramsey is not the best CB in the league but still great though.

Also, we signed Hayden for nothing, and he is not even that good when healthy.
(10-28-2018, 03:39 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]We could have had Alex Smith for a third-round pick and what amounts to a 3-year $71M contract, roughly $20M cheaper than Cousins over the same time frame. Factor in Bortles' release and it's just about a wash that gets you a competent game manager who can direct traffic and not make stupid decisions with the ball. Cousins was way too expensive for a team so heavily invested in defense, we knew that, but Alex Smith would have been a perfect upgrade at QB.

The Chiefs probably wouldn’t have traded Smith to another AFC contender/playoff team. We should have drafted Mahomes or Watson.

We could have had Ryan Fitzpatrick for a song. He was the backup I wanted the Jags to go after.
(10-28-2018, 04:59 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]

We could have had Ryan Fitzpatrick for a song. He was the backup I wanted the Jags to go after.

There is no [BLEEP] way Fitz does in Jacksonville what he is doing in Tampa.
We're 2-0 in games DJ Hayden has played, he was looking as good as colvin did if not better. Please dont let the losing streak of late bias hindsight of how well he actually played. Although that Patriots win feels like eons ago..
I was thinking about this the other day. Would you rather have bottles, moncrief Norw ell, ( what's with the Norwalk spell correct), and lee.

Or cousins,Robinson omameh?
[quote='surfon' pid='1163846' dateline='1540765381']
I was thinking about this the other day.  Would you rather have bottles, moncrief Norw ell, ( what's with the Norwalk spell correct), and lee.

Cousins, John Brown, Will Hernandez
(10-28-2018, 06:23 PM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking about this the other day. Would you rather have bottles, moncrief Norw ell, ( what's with the Norwalk spell correct), and lee.

It probably had a cascade effect too. If we don't spend that money on Norwell maybe we draft Will Hernandez.
(10-28-2018, 04:59 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]

Did you want them to pry Deshaun Jackson, OJ Howard, and Mike Evans as well?  Maybe add Cameron Brate just for effect?

Otherwise, he's a tad better then Chad Henne.
Cousins led the league in turnovers each of the last two years... He'd probably fumble just looking at our o-line.
He's already lost 7 fumbles this year! His pocket awareness is the worst in NFL history!
Coulda had a V8
(10-28-2018, 07:25 PM)nate Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2018, 04:59 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]We could have had Ryan Fitzpatrick for a song. He was the backup I wanted the Jags to go after.

Did you want them to pry Deshaun Jackson, OJ Howard, and Mike Evans as well?  Maybe add Cameron Brate just for effect?

Absolutely.
(10-28-2018, 06:27 PM)jagforlife85 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2018, 06:23 PM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking about this the other day.  Would you rather have bottles, moncrief Norw ell, ( what's with the Norwalk spell correct), and lee.

Cousins, John Brown, Will Hernandez
Could live with at too.
Unfortunately, we're late to the party. Defense doesn't mean anything in today's football. Need to go straight offense I guess and qb should have been priority. Not the defense.....
(10-28-2018, 07:25 PM)nate Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2018, 04:59 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]We could have had Ryan Fitzpatrick for a song. He was the backup I wanted the Jags to go after.

He's infinitely better than Chad Henne. Of course division by zero isn't allowed.

I realize that the TB receivers are much better (although that hasn't made Winston into a star). The other QBs named, Cousins and Smith, also have better receivers than the Jags . Besides playing well with the Bucs, Fitzpatrick had solid seasons with Houston and the Jets, and in his one bad season with the Jets he missed all of training camp. I wouldn't expect him to put up the numbers he has with the Bucs this year if he were on the Jags, but with the Jags he wouldn't have to.
Pages: 1 2 3