Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Thoughts on the game and the need for some run stuffing LBs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Week after week our defense can not stop the running game and cant get the stop at critical times.

I am still a firm believer that we are missing Poz.  Not off the field but also on the field on running downs.

He may have been a liability in passing situations, but we miss him on running plays.

Also, Telvin needs to work on adding weight this offseason,  Cant believe he only weighs 215 lbs.

Season is not over but it is starting to trend that way.
(10-28-2018, 09:40 PM)old_man Wrote: [ -> ]Also, Telvin needs to work on adding weight this offseason,  Cant believe he only weighs 215 lbs.

He's essentially a safety playing linebacker.
Honestly, I believe our best option is to shop Telvin and switch to a 3-4 defense. We should get no lower than a high 2nd round pick for him. I just believe we are much better suited for a 3-4 scheme. Campbell and Jackson on the ends, Dareus at NT, Ngakoue and a possible rookie (once Fowler leaves,) at OLB and Jack and Jacobs at ILB.
(10-28-2018, 10:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I believe our best option is to shop Telvin and switch to a 3-4 defense. We  should get no lower than a high 2nd round pick for him. I just believe we are much better suited for a 3-4 scheme. Campbell and Jackson on the ends, Dareus at NT, Ngakoue and a possible rookie (once Fowler leaves,) at OLB and Jack and Jacobs at ILB.

I don't think Smith is playing well at all this year, a 2nd for a LB is steep. I'd expect a 4th at best, but that's still solid value and you can still find 3-4 LBs in the 4th. Otherwise I agree with this, 3-4 is the modern way to play defense... It can still be solid vs the run and its especially good for confusing and disrupting pass offenses.
If you listen to lageman he casually but consistently mentions that the linebackers aren't playing well.
(10-28-2018, 11:13 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2018, 10:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I believe our best option is to shop Telvin and switch to a 3-4 defense. We  should get no lower than a high 2nd round pick for him. I just believe we are much better suited for a 3-4 scheme. Campbell and Jackson on the ends, Dareus at NT, Ngakoue and a possible rookie (once Fowler leaves,) at OLB and Jack and Jacobs at ILB.

I don't think Smith is playing well at all this year, a 2nd for a LB is steep. I'd expect a 4th at best, but that's still solid value and you can still find 3-4 LBs in the 4th. Otherwise I agree with this, 3-4 is the modern way to play defense... It can still be solid vs the run and its especially good for confusing and disrupting pass offenses.

Smith was voted the #67 overall player in the entire NFL last year. Asking for a 2nd is not a steep price. Teams who run a 4-3 scheme would pay it.
(10-28-2018, 11:13 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]

In what world is a 3-4 the modern way to play defense?
(10-29-2018, 05:55 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-28-2018, 11:13 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Smith is playing well at all this year, a 2nd for a LB is steep. I'd expect a 4th at best, but that's still solid value and you can still find 3-4 LBs in the 4th. Otherwise I agree with this, 3-4 is the modern way to play defense... It can still be solid vs the run and its especially good for confusing and disrupting pass offenses.

In what world is a 3-4 the modern way to play defense?

10 or 12 teams play the 3-4 as a base defense. It's not that unusual.
The crux of most of our problems lies in the injuries to the O line. When your QB has to instantly either climb the pocket or scramble out of the pocket to prevent himself from getting mauled, offensive schemes have no chance to develop. When the offense struggles and can't stay on the field, defense pays the price in physical toll. When the defense gets gassed...well, you know the rest. Hindsight being what it is, we were stupid for not putting more equity into protecting the QB and opening lanes for our touted running game during the draft and FA signings. Taven Bryan was the wrong pick on the wrong side of the line.
Telvin Smith has been terrible. He’s been real bad in coverage and gets beach washed in mostly every run play to the point he’s eliminated from the play. 210 pounds linebackers isn’t gonna cut it. Myles Jack is clueless and isn't made to be the quarterback of the defense but he’s at least better than Smith, but that ain’t saying nothing.
(10-29-2018, 06:01 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2018, 05:55 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]In what world is a 3-4 the modern way to play defense?

10 or 12 teams play the 3-4 as a base defense. It's not that unusual.

It's the "modern" part of the sentence that's unusual. A 3-4 isn't an innovative new scheme ready made for this era of football, it's fine if you have the pieces (like most defensive schemes) but it isn't modern.
(10-29-2018, 06:29 AM)P. Haze Wrote: [ -> ]Telvin Smith has been terrible. He’s been real bad in coverage and gets beach washed in mostly every run play to the poor he’s eliminated from the play. 210 pounds linebackers isn’t gonna cut it. Myles Jack is clueless and isn’t made to be the quarterback of the defense but he’s at least better than Smith, but that ain’t saying nothing.

Who was the "green dot" wearer last season? Was it Jack or Smith,, or was it Poz even though he wasn't on the field as much? 

That really does make a difference. I saw the Ravens defense get all screwed up in the Bengals game this year when they switched to a younger guy in the secondary for the QB of the defense. After halftime, they switched which player was doing it for them, and the defense looked much better. 

(I can't recall the players' names. But the TV crew talked about it,, and fans on the Ravens forums were really going on alot about it).   It made a big difference for them, at least that night.
(10-29-2018, 06:22 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]The crux of most of our problems lies in the injuries to the O line. When your QB has to instantly either climb the pocket or scramble out of the pocket to prevent himself from getting mauled, offensive schemes have no chance to develop. When the offense struggles and can't stay on the field, defense pays the price in physical toll. When the defense gets gassed...well, you know the rest. Hindsight being what it is, we were stupid for not putting more equity into protecting the QB and opening lanes for our touted running game during the draft and FA signings. Taven Bryan was the wrong pick on the wrong side of the line.

They signed the #1 free agent lineman and drafted a tackle. I don't really see anyone on the draft board at Brian's spot who plays tackle and the guy taken right after Chark who does was abused last night by New Orleans. Sure, a few guards were there, but no one who would push out Kam or Parnell.
(10-29-2018, 07:24 AM)jagherd Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2018, 06:29 AM)P. Haze Wrote: [ -> ]Telvin Smith has been terrible. He’s been real bad in coverage and gets beach washed in mostly every run play to the poor he’s eliminated from the play. 210 pounds linebackers isn’t gonna cut it. Myles Jack is clueless and isn’t made to be the quarterback of the defense but he’s at least better than Smith, but that ain’t saying nothing.

Who was the "green dot" wearer last season? Was it Jack or Smith,, or was it Poz even though he wasn't on the field as much? 

That really does make a difference. I saw the Ravens defense get all screwed up in the Bengals game this year when they switched to a younger guy in the secondary for the QB of the defense. After halftime, they switched which player was doing it for them, and the defense looked much better. 

(I can't recall the players' names. But the TV crew talked about it,, and fans on the Ravens forums were really going on alot about it).   It made a big difference for them, at least that night.

It was Myles last season as well.
I think our problems in stopping the run are a mix of factors. When we aren't ahead with the score and teams can run we had the same problems last season too.
(10-29-2018, 08:18 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2018, 07:24 AM)jagherd Wrote: [ -> ]Who was the "green dot" wearer last season? Was it Jack or Smith,, or was it Poz even though he wasn't on the field as much? 

It was Myles last season as well.
I think our problems in stopping the run are a mix of factors. When we aren't ahead with the score and teams can run we had the same problems last season too.

With the beef we have on the D line, it means that the LBs we have are too light in the tail and not physical run stuffers.
We really worried about the run defense? They are 12th in the league giving up 4.2 yards a carry. Maybe if the offense could score points and allow this defense to pin their ears back you wouldn't see the 5th most rushing attempts in the league.
(10-29-2018, 08:29 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]We really worried about the run defense? They are 12th in the league giving up 4.2 yards a carry. Maybe if the offense could score points and allow this defense to pin their ears back you wouldn't see the 5th most rushing attempts in the league.

The team needs to get better all around.  We were looking at it through our teal colored glasses.  It's not as good as 5 minutes away from the Super Bowl.  It has deficiencies that need to be fixed in the offseason.  Obviously, the offense needs to address every sub-unit.  RB is the least position of need. (I think Hyde makes a significant impact in the second half of the season.)  It's a matter of getting healthy.  We need to upgrade WR, TE, OL, and QB.  Defense needs to upgrade the run defense through adding LBs who can stop the run.

The team was built to win with defense and the running game.  And you can't win with defense if it's getting gashed by the run every game.  You want to be embarrassed?  Wait til we play Indy and they run the ball on us.  Indy.  So 12th best and 4.2 ypc aren't good enough.
A monster D-line playing at the peeks of their career really camouflaged the effectiveness of the linebacker corp last season.
(10-29-2018, 09:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]A monster D-line playing at the peeks of their career really camouflaged the effectiveness of the linebacker corp last season.

More so, it isn't a secret how to make this defense uncomfortable anymore
(10-29-2018, 09:10 AM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2018, 09:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]A monster D-line playing at the peeks of their career really camouflaged the effectiveness of the linebacker corp last season.

More so, it isn't a secret how to make this defense uncomfortable anymore

This is true. The production falloff of the D-line has exposed literally everybody on the defense, including people we thought were best in the league at their respective positions.
Pages: 1 2 3