Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Has Bortles played his last down as a Jaguar?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
As I watched Teddy Bridgewater lineup as a wide receiver last night in New Orleans, I couldn't help but think Blake Bortles has played his last down as a Jacksonville Jaguar. 

With the bye week coming at the exact time the trade deadline is approaching, its almost as if the schedule makers planned this for the Jaguars. There are so many options out there that could make us instantly better when we take the field week 10.

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Tyrod Taylor
3. A.J McCarron
4. Derek Carr
5. Ryan Tannenhill

Surely guys are fighting for their jobs right now in the building, and I all but guarantee one of the aforementioned men will be a Jaguar come Halloween.

Please God, all I want for Halloween is a 1+ read QB with an accurate spiral. I don't feel like I am asking for too much here.
I'm good with Kessler
Team already wasted a trade on Hyde.

Can’t see them going for a QB.
(10-29-2018, 08:51 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]Team already wasted a trade on Hyde.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if we "waste" picks. It is better trading them for guys who can help the team right now than letting Caldwell use them.
I think Bortles will start the Indy game, just my thought.
(10-29-2018, 08:52 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2018, 08:51 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]Team already wasted a trade on Hyde.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if we "waste" picks. It is better trading them for guys who can help the team right now than letting Caldwell use them.

Just as a matter of philosophy, a draft pick isn't wasted if you use it to acquire a player who can contribute to your team for 3 or 4 years.  Trading for a young vet beats the lottery that is the draft a lot of times.

(10-29-2018, 08:55 AM)no 1 jag fan in Columbus Wrote: [ -> ]I think Bortles will start the Indy game, just my thought.

I'd be more than a little surprised if they trade for a QB.  A guy just can't come in new to the team and operate the offense in 2 weeks.
No.
Bortles current play is fracturing the team from the inside out. We do not even have the ability to see how good the WR's we drafted and acquired in free agency are even decent with Bortles at the helm.

For the record, I was a Bortles supporter for the longest time, so this isn't a Bortles hate thread, but enough is enough already.
(10-29-2018, 08:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]As I watched Teddy Bridgewater lineup as a wide receiver last night in New Orleans, I couldn't help but think Blake Bortles has played his last down as a Jacksonville Jaguar. 

With the bye week coming at the exact time the trade deadline is approaching, its almost as if the schedule makers planned this for the Jaguars. There are so many options out there that could make us instantly better when we take the field week 10.

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Tyrod Taylor
3. A.J McCarron
4. Derek Carr
5. Ryan Tannenhill

Surely guys are fighting for their jobs right now in the building, and I all but guarantee one of the aforementioned men will be a Jaguar come Halloween.

Please God, all I want for Halloween is a 1+ read QB with an accurate spiral. I don't feel like I am asking for too much here.
Lol You think Tyrod is a 1+ read QB? You want the Derek Carr contract? The Saints traded a 3rd rounder for Teddy B so you want to trade our 1st rounder for him? AJ McCarron?!

Before making a thread, try actually investigating these so called "upgrades".
(10-29-2018, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2018, 08:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]As I watched Teddy Bridgewater lineup as a wide receiver last night in New Orleans, I couldn't help but think Blake Bortles has played his last down as a Jacksonville Jaguar. 

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Tyrod Taylor
3. A.J McCarron
4. Derek Carr
5. Ryan Tannenhill

Lol You think Tyrod is a 1+ read QB? You want the Derek Carr contract? The Saints traded a 3rd rounder for Teddy B so you want to trade our 1st rounder for him? AJ McCarron?!

I think Tyrod can do everything Bortles can do, including throwing a more accurate ball. I don't think Tyrod is the future QB of this franchise, but he is better than Blake and is an upgrade and would probably come cheap.

Also, assuming our FO stays put, I'd rather gamble on a QB I have seen play for a draft pick (or contract) than let the powers that be pick the next QB.
(10-29-2018, 09:00 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles current play is fracturing the team from the inside out. We do not even have the ability to see how good the WR's we drafted and acquired in free agency are even decent with Bortles at the helm.

For the record, I was a Bortles supporter for the longest time, so this isn't a Bortles hate thread, but enough is enough already.

Yeah.  I'm not down with any Bortles hate.  I like him.  He's tough.  He never gives up.  He's a take responsibility guy.  I had hoped he turned the corner with his accuracy problems.  He probably will never fix it 5 years in.  Realistically he's our qb the rest of this year.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the team tries to get one of those guys in the offseason.  I just hope it's not McCarron or Taylor.  Those guys couldn't win or keep jobs on bad teams.  No thank you.  But you have to kick the tires on Carr and Bridgewater.
(10-29-2018, 09:08 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2018, 09:00 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles current play is fracturing the team from the inside out. We do not even have the ability to see how good the WR's we drafted and acquired in free agency are even decent with Bortles at the helm.

Yeah.  I'm not down with any Bortles hate.  I like him.  He's tough.  He never gives up.  He's a take responsibility guy.  I had hoped he turned the corner with his accuracy problems.  He probably will never fix it 5 years in.  Realistically he's our qb the rest of this year.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the team tries to get one of those guys in the offseason.  I just hope it's not McCarron or Taylor.  Those guys couldn't win or keep jobs on bad teams.  No thank you.  But you have to kick the tires on Carr and Bridgewater.

I agree with most of what you said. I would prefer Carr or Teddy over McCarron or Taylor, but Taylor lost his job due to an injury that put Mayfield in the game. There is no going back after that.
(10-29-2018, 09:07 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-29-2018, 09:03 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Lol You think Tyrod is a 1+ read QB? You want the Derek Carr contract? The Saints traded a 3rd rounder for Teddy B so you want to trade our 1st rounder for him? AJ McCarron?!

I think Tyrod can do everything Bortles can do, including throwing a more accurate ball. I don't think Tyrod is the future QB of this franchise, but he is better than Blake and is an upgrade and would probably come cheap.
So he's not a 1+ read QB like you claimed you wanted?

Tyrod is not an upgrade despite what you think. He is completing an astounding 48% of his passes this season for 462 yards in 3 games (left 1 due to injury).

There is absolutely no reason to trade for a QB this year. Maybe in the off season but not this year. It would take a new QB a couple weeks to get acclimated to the offense and even then, it's not guarantee this random QB would be better than Bortles. I'm more on board with giving Kessler the reigns considering he at least knows the playbook and is better suited for the west coast concepts the Jags run.

So this game was on BB5 to? Buuuuwwwwaaaaaaa!!!
Blake Bortles will return.

Hopefully not in 2019, but I don't see him going anywhere this year.
Until the Jags are out of contention for the AFCS title, they'll be riding with Bortles. If/when he reverts to looking like complete trash again and gets yanked, it's over, and they'll ride out the rest of the season with Kessler (division title would be out of reach by that point anyway if BB "flubs" it up badly again).

They'd do something in the offseason if that's the case.

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Tyrod Taylor
3. A.J McCarron
4. Derek Carr
5. Ryan Tannenhill

Bortles is your starting QB.

Get over it.
The draft is in April. That's the most likely time to see something done about the QB situation.

And I really can't believe people still bring up Taylor. Did you not watch the game he played in Jacksonville last year? He is no upgrade.
There is zero chance they trade for a QB in-season.
Anyone thinking help is on the way mid season needs to rethink that.

Bortles, barring another complete meltdown, is the starter. Kessler in the wings should that happen.
Pages: 1 2 3 4