Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars have the #1 pass defense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Jaguars have clearly fallen off in a few categories from last year, in particular rushing, sacks and turnovers, however, we still have the best pass defense in the league. Our secondary is still balling. 

The Jaguars only have 19 sacks this season which is tied for 23rd (the Vikings are #1 with 31 sacks). Despite no longer being top two in sacks, no longer controlling the clock with our running game, and no longer racking up turnovers, our secondary is still the best in passing yards allowed. The Jaguars are allowing 190.0 passing yards per game. 2nd place is the Ravens with 205.2 and then the Bills with 212.0.

Here are a few more stats to consider...
  • #2 in total defense with 313.2 yards allowed
  • #4 in completion percentage allowed at 60.6%
  • #2 in YPA allowed at 6.7 (Ravens are #1 at 6.3)
  • tied for #2 in passing TDs allowed with 9
  • #3 in first downs allowed by passing
  • #2 in longest passing play allowed at 42 yards
  • #2 in 20+ yard plays allowed with 19
  • tied for #4 in 40+ yard plays allowed with 2
The defense would be better statistically if we got something out of the offense.
(11-05-2018, 06:39 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]The defense would be better statistically if we got something out of the offense.

Normally they go hand and hand. But look at what we lost.

Hurns
Arob
Lee
Cam
Most of all Fournette 
And we’re getting nothing from TE.

That’s 5 players and 6 if you count TE. Remember that 3 TD game Lewis had last year?

Oh and Corey Grant.

That’s hard to over come.
(11-05-2018, 08:39 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-05-2018, 06:39 PM)jagshype Wrote: [ -> ]The defense would be better statistically if we got something out of the offense.

Normally they go hand and hand. But look at what we lost.

Hurns
Arob

Lee
Cam
Most of all Fournette 
And we’re getting nothing from TE.

That’s 5 players and 6 if you count TE. Remember that 3 TD game Lewis had last year?

Oh and Corey Grant.

That’s hard to over come.

So, you think losing those guys meant something, but didn't realize we've lost three TEs to injury.

Got it.
The problems with defense:

1. No holding calls
2. D-Line not getting to QB(see above)
3. T. Smith regressed
4. Low offensive time of position

You can probably add in a 5th because we shipped off Dante Fowler and Bryan hasn't shown he can replace him.
(11-05-2018, 09:15 PM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]The problems with defense:

1. No holding calls
3. T. Smith regressed

You can probably add in a 5th because we shipped off Dante Fowler and Bryan hasn't shown he can replace him.

We gonna start one of these hot takes again?
As I see it, the Jaguars are stuck in a rut, a slump, that began right after they avenged their loss to the Pats. The build up to that game was intense and afterward they seem to have lost their edge/desire/mojo.

I hope they bring it Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The run defense has been very weak. I'm surprised the pass defense stats are good, but why pass it when you can run?
(11-05-2018, 10:12 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The run defense has been very weak.  I'm surprised the pass defense stats are good, but why pass it when you can run?

You answered your own question. Teams struggling to stop the run often appear to have solid pass defenses. The reverse is true, as well. That's why I've always felt that yards-per-carry was a more reflective stat than yards-per-game.
The low-ish yards per pass attempt number is encouraging.
Our defense is still one of the best... clearly the best talent wise... but they are jus always on the field, our offense is always turning the ball over or goin 3 n out... its a mixture of them being on the field all game and emotions of anger and disbelief in our offense... most of our core defensive guys are young and have unique character so of course they're gonna get flustered by the our offenses play... i mean we get mad if we have crappy teammates in Call of Duty lol, image if it was every game.... haha stupid analogy but u get it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
(11-05-2018, 09:15 PM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]You can probably add in a 5th because we shipped off Dante Fowler and Bryan hasn't shown he can replace him.

Well, yeah, because Bryan isn't supposed to replace Dante Fowler. I don't know how many times this has to be said before people finally let it click: Taven Bryan and Dante Fowler do not play the same position. Bryan is a big end/tackle hybrid like Calais Campbell. Dante Fowler is a pass rusher like Yannick Ngakoue. The guy who's going to get reps in place of Fowler is Lerentee McCray, who's seen spot duty as a pass rusher before and has gotten some good pressure in the role.
Inability to burn clock and sled down hill leads to a gassed defense. Defensive play would be way better if we had a functional offense.
(11-05-2018, 09:18 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-05-2018, 09:15 PM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]The problems with defense:

1. No holding calls
3. T. Smith regressed

We gonna start one of these hot takes again?

That's not a hot take. Telvin is not playing well, certainly not to his usual standard
(11-05-2018, 11:45 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-05-2018, 09:15 PM)Inziladun Wrote: [ -> ]You can probably add in a 5th because we shipped off Dante Fowler and Bryan hasn't shown he can replace him.

Well, yeah, because Bryan isn't supposed to replace Dante Fowler. I don't know how many times this has to be said before people finally let it click: Taven Bryan and Dante Fowler do not play the same position. Bryan is a big end/tackle hybrid like Calais Campbell. Dante Fowler is a pass rusher like Yannick Ngakoue. The guy who's going to get reps in place of Fowler is Lerentee McCray, who's seen spot duty as a pass rusher before and has gotten some good pressure in the role.

This is why I hate a hybrid system. Big end/tackle vs. pass rusher. Just play the best DE's, regardless of size and let the two best DE's, set the edges. I don't see the importance of having one be a big run stuffer and the other being a smaller pass rusher. Why not just target guys with both skill sets? Calais can set the edge against the run as well as rush the QB on passing downs. Bryan is just a more athletic DT with very limited pass rush ability. I never saw the appeal in the guy.
(11-05-2018, 10:12 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The run defense has been very weak.  I'm surprised the pass defense stats are good, but why pass it when you can run?

It's more or less this.  

Our pass defense is still very good. Make no mistake. Our front four gets pressure regardless of what the whiners are spewing and even if it's slightly less than last year. Our secondary has not been quite up to par, but it hasn't been bad by any stretch. 

The thing putting the pass defense in first place (instead of 5th or 6th for example) is that teams are running on the Jags much more easily than they were in the latter half of last season. So the numbers are slightly distorted, but not by a great deal.
(11-05-2018, 09:55 PM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: [ -> ]As I see it, the Jaguars are stuck in a rut, a slump, that began right after they avenged their loss to the Pats. The build up to that game was intense and afterward they seem to have lost their edge/desire/mojo.

I hope they bring it Sunday.

The season was lost the minute we knocked Gabbart out of the Tennessee game. We offended some football god doing that then followed up with the score thing against the Jets.
As for Telvin regressing, I would not say that. Rather opposing OCs are scheming better to keep him away from the ball/off a step.Just like Yannick getting double teamed and holding no calls on our giant, Calais, smart coordinators are designing plays to neutralize our guys. Plus, the obvious disadvantage to constantly having to go in to defend poor field position due to our offense’s errors/ineptitude. That wears on you physically, mentally, emotionally and even spiritually as a team. Yet, our defense has sucked it in and kept mum about any harboring resentments.

(11-06-2018, 10:33 AM)Shelley Thompson Wrote: [ -> ]As for Telvin regressing, I would not say that. Rather opposing OCs are scheming better to keep him away from the ball/off a step.Just like Yannick getting double teamed and holding no calls on our giant, Calais, smart coordinators are designing plays to neutralize our guys. Plus, the obvious disadvantage to constantly having to go in to defend poor field position due to our offense’s errors/ineptitude. That wears on you physically, mentally, emotionally and even spiritually as a team. Yet, our defense has sucked it in and kept mum about any harboring resentments.

Telvin has had nearly a dozen plays when he was beat in coverage - not by just a scheme mismatch - but by him playing with poor technique or zone responsibility.

He has also been caught out of position in the run game far more times than was the case in as many games last season. 

He hasn't been "terrible" or even "bad" but he has definitely not played as well as he played last season. 

Many of his mistakes have the look of a guy trying to do too much. So - a return to solid fundamental technique may be all he needs to focus on in order to return to form.
there’s no reason to pass when you can run the ball at will and control the clock and keep both defenses off the field

we’re not that good at all right now
Pages: 1 2 3