Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fire Marrone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Calling this season a disappointment seems like an understatement. Firing OC Nathaniel Hackett was a move in the right direction, but at some point the coach has to bite the bullet for his team not playing up to expectations. How long do you think Marrone's leash is? Should he finish the year? Will he coach the Jags next year? Many people can point to the injuries this team has been through, but a good coach can play through the injuries and still come up with a winning season with a defense (EX: Bears). I think Marrone should be fired if he loses tonights game against Tennessee and we should look at Josh McDaniels for our offensive rebuild. Use the draft to get his guys and he takes the reigns. Our defense is fine, so I think an offensive minded coach would be the best thing to happen to this team for the future.
He was in the AFC Championship game last year for cryin' out loud. Yeah, this year has been a disappointment but with all the injuries I think you have to give him another year. Hate to see him go somewhere else and win a Superbowl. Not that that's ever happened around here before. Smile
(12-06-2018, 03:33 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]He was in the AFC Championship game last year for cryin' out loud. Yeah, this year has been a disappointment but with all the injuries I think you have to give him another year. Hate to see him go somewhere else and win a Superbowl. Not that that's ever happened around here before. Smile

Well we could use that logic and say the same for Blake Tongue

And was marones fault we lost the AFCCG not Blakes.
It's much more likely they go just hard after upgrades at OC and QB and give Marrone more time.  Doubt his seat is really all that hot right now. But who knows? As much as folks around here claim they know what TC is thinking, he may be ready for wholesale changes. I seriously doubt it, but it's an outside possibility.
(12-06-2018, 03:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It's much more likely they go just hard after upgrades at OC and QB and give Marrone more time.  Doubt his seat is really all that hot right now. But who knows? As much as folks around here claim they know what TC is thinking, he may be ready for wholesale changes. I seriously doubt it, but it's an outside possibility.

It might depend on what Tony thinks. I think Tony and Tom spend alot of time discussing the team. and comparing notes.
(12-06-2018, 03:54 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2018, 03:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]It's much more likely they go just hard after upgrades at OC and QB and give Marrone more time.  Doubt his seat is really all that hot right now. But who knows? As much as folks around here claim they know what TC is thinking, he may be ready for wholesale changes. I seriously doubt it, but it's an outside possibility.

It might depend on what Tony thinks. I think Tony and Tom spend alot of time discussing the team. and comparing notes.

Tony is a partner in ownership with his father and heads the team's analytics dept.

Tom has no choice but to listen to Tony because he's a part owner of the team that employs him. 

Tony and Shad were implicated (by Caldwell) as influencers in the decisions both to hire Gus Bradley and to retain him. 

Hopefully Tony has learned a lot since then.
(12-06-2018, 03:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2018, 03:54 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]It might depend on what Tony thinks. I think Tony and Tom spend alot of time discussing the team. and comparing notes.

Tony is a partner in ownership with his father and heads the team's analytics dept.

Tom has no choice but to listen to Tony because he's a part owner of the team that employs him. 

Tony and Shad were implicated (by Caldwell) as influencers in the decisions both to hire Gus Bradley and to retain him. 

Thinking more along the analytics side. I think tom is very interested in patterns and such was what i meant. I see TC as a analytics kinda guy.
(12-06-2018, 03:49 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2018, 03:33 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]He was in the AFC Championship game last year for cryin' out loud. Yeah, this year has been a disappointment but with all the injuries I think you have to give him another year. Hate to see him go somewhere else and win a Superbowl. Not that that's ever happened around here before. Smile

Well we could use that logic and say the same for Blake Tongue

And was marones fault we lost the AFCCG not Blakes.

Well, to the first point I'd say that Blake's been a starting QB longer than Morrone's been the head coach here. I wouldn't give him more than another year though to get it back.  I do agree with your second point, it's ultimately his fault although it was Hackett's calling at the time.
Personally, I'd part ways with Marrone this year. Bortles is clearly not the answer, and history suggests we'll attract a different caliber of coach if we say, "Let's talk about the quarterback you want," than we would if we said, "We drafted Drew Lock in the first round last year, and even though he completed more passes to the other team than he did to his tight ends as a rookie, he's our guy."
(12-06-2018, 02:31 PM)jalenramseysays Wrote: [ -> ]Calling this season a disappointment seems like an understatement. Firing OC Nathaniel Hackett was a move in the right direction, but at some point the coach has to bite the bullet for his team not playing up to expectations. How long do you think Marrone's leash is? Should he finish the year? Will he coach the Jags next year? Many people can point to the injuries this team has been through, but a good coach can play through the injuries and still come up with a winning season with a defense (EX: Bears). I think Marrone should be fired if he loses tonights game against Tennessee and we should look at Josh McDaniels for our offensive rebuild. Use the draft to get his guys and he takes the reigns. Our defense is fine, so I think an offensive minded coach would be the best thing to happen to this team for the future.

lol.

TBT: Cool story bro.
(12-06-2018, 04:01 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2018, 03:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Tony is a partner in ownership with his father and heads the team's analytics dept.

Thinking more along the analytics side. I think tom is very interested in patterns and such was what i meant. I see TC as a analytics kinda guy.

I think he's the exact opposite.
(12-06-2018, 05:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2018, 04:01 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking more along the analytics side. I think tom is very interested in patterns and such was what i meant. I see TC as a analytics kinda guy.

I think he's the exact opposite.

Definitely 1000% opposite.
I think it depends on how the last quarter of this season goes.  If the Jags look flat  he is gone.

I would keep doug and fire Caldwell
It's hard to say how much weight his opinion held in some of the more detrimental decisions made for the team. Has he been a "yes" man for Tom and Dave, or did he take a lead role in going forward with Bortles and doing virtually nothing to enhance the QB squad this season. Is he responsible for the conservative offense play calling, or did Hackett have complete autonomy? Who convinced who to get Taven Bryan with the 1st pick? Has he lost the locker room, to the point that they won't buy in to what he preaches?

I personally think that he shares a large portion of blame, or at least he should, as the head coach. It's his job to make or help the front office make good football decisions for this football team. If it's not happening, what is doing?
(12-06-2018, 07:07 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to say how much weight his opinion held in some of the more detrimental decisions made for the team. Has he been a "yes" man for Tom and Dave, or did he take a lead role in going forward with Bortles and doing virtually nothing to enhance the QB squad this season. Is he responsible for the conservative offense play calling, or did Hackett have complete autonomy? Who convinced who to get Taven Bryan with the 1st pick? Has he lost the locker room, to the point that they won't buy in to what he preaches?

I personally think that he shares a large portion of blame, or at least he should, as the head coach. It's his job to make or help the front office make good football decisions for this football team. If it's not happening, what is doing?

The bolded is really not his job. His job is to lead the team assembled by the F.O. to victories. 

He is meant to consult the F.O. about the types of players and player skill-sets required to further his coaching staff's intended scheme.  But he does not necessarily have any vote or "say" in the matter of whom they ultimately choose to add.  They want his input, but they make the actual decisions. 

That said, the players that have remained healthy have underperformed this season. That's where the real questions about Marrone begin. He needs to prepare his players to perform more consistently. 

The next line of questioning moves to how willing/unwilling he is to adapt his offense under a new coordinator to catch up to the current state of the league? They don't need to completely abandon a "defense and run game" focus, but it must be augmented with a more functional passing game to survive. Will he adapt?  

Personnel stuff is really not something you can put at his feet.  He has a minor role there.
He lost the team. Gotta move on.
(12-06-2018, 07:07 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to say how much weight his opinion held in some of the more detrimental decisions made for the team. Has he been a "yes" man for Tom and Dave, or did he take a lead role in going forward with Bortles and doing virtually nothing to enhance the QB squad this season. Is he responsible for the conservative offense play calling, or did Hackett have complete autonomy? Who convinced who to get Taven Bryan with the 1st pick? Has he lost the locker room, to the point that they won't buy in to what he preaches?

What football decisions could have prevented losing the top 3 OTs, the LG, the C, the top 3 TEs and the top WR (to say nothing of the 7 games missed by our starting RB) on a 53 man roster?
I think Tom, after seeing how we were physically manhandled by the tacks tonight, will now seriously consider it
Hire Mike McCarthy.
(12-06-2018, 10:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

What football decisions could have prevented losing the top 3 OTs, the LG, the C, the top 3 TEs and the top WR (to say nothing of the 7 games missed by our starting RB) on a 53 man roster?

^This.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7