Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Re-do Blake's contract and retain him as a backup in '19?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thoughts?

Interesting that when he was benched all the players on the team have had chances in games.

It is apparent that we will add a veteran and still pick a QB in the draft.

After watching Gabbert play yesterday for the Titans ,  there would be no reason to look at this as an option in 2019
What are you getting at here?

You want the Jags to re-do Blake's deal and keep him around? Or no?
As a backup. The Jags still bringing in a veteran if available and still drafts a QB.

Bortles would totally restructure his deal. He already has mentioned it is more than he ever thought he would make ....

I wouldn't be surprised...some peoples head would explode, but think of the backups we always have had in the past. Garrard was the only serviceable backup we have ever had.
I'd be okay with it. But I think the team is looking to sever all ties at seasons end.
NO!
That is not good for the team’s psychology. Like sweeping dirt under the rug and pretending the floor is clean. Always better to be straightforward. Bottles is not a good fit for us. He needs to be purged. Period. Move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There won't be 3 QBs on the roster next year. Either Bortles is the vet or he's not here.
If I'm BB5 I let them cut me. Take the money and run. You know every one of us would do the same thing.
(12-23-2018, 01:31 PM)old_man Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts?

Interesting that when he was benched all the players on the team have had chances in games.

After watching Gabbert play yesterday for the Titans ,  there would be no reason to look at this as an option in 2019

NO. He's bad karma. Cut bait. Start fresh. His presence alone would be negative. You need new hope and not be reminded of all the bad vibes.
Blake would not restructure with all the guaranteed money his way. Something to consider though is keeping him next year regardless. Think about it. He is a solid as hell back up, period. How much do back ups cost? Cutting him saves what, 4.5M? You aren’t going to get a good back up for 4.5M. It’s going to cost somewhere around 8-10M. Mind as well keep him for that 4.5M as the back up in my opinion.
(12-23-2018, 03:34 PM)Steelers Beaches Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2018, 01:31 PM)old_man Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts?

NO. He's bad karma. Cut bait. Start fresh. His presence alone would be negative. You need new hope and not be reminded of all the bad vibes.

Once again they played hard for him today. Almost like his presence was a positive.
It's obvious Blake is the best QB on this team. Sounds like the team wants to cut ties after the season. But no QB in this draft is worth tanking for or should be expected to start right away. So if we cut Blake and Kessler then we need to find a guy off the scrap heap to start next year. But would that person be better than Blake? Maybe we can pay up for a guy like Foles who I think will be a free agent. But if not him who else is out there? And if you dont think you can find a guy to keep the seat warm that is better than Blake, you can make an argument to keep him until the guy we draft next year is ready. Since we've made it apparent we want to move on though, would be fairly embarrassing to then keep him.
He should be a starter somewhere. Not sure what's in it for Blake
As long as Kessler is nowhere near this team. Not even sorting jocks!
Foles is getting Keenum's contract. There's no way we can sign him with all that dead money on the books.
And lose my guaranteed money? To be a good boy? Lol - never.

Time to move on
Going by today I'd say just keep Bortles as the backup or bridge to whatever rookie they draft.
(12-23-2018, 04:45 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Blake would not restructure with all the guaranteed money his way. Something to consider though is keeping him next year regardless. Think about it. He is a solid as hell back up, period. How much do back ups cost? Cutting him saves what, 4.5M? You aren’t going to get a good back up for 4.5M. It’s going to cost somewhere around 8-10M. Mind as well keep him for that 4.5M as the back up in my opinion.

I've been trying to point this out for weeks, but it keeps seeming to fall on deaf ears (or would that be blind eyes). The difference between keeping Blake and letting him go and paying for him anyways is merely the cost of a backup qb.  You actually can get a decent backup for around $4.5 mil, but if you want a decent backup who can potentially start for an extended time, it's going to cost you more. I actually love the idea of actually letting Blake start next year while drafting a rookie who can take over mid-season when he's ready.
With the right (renegotiated) contract, he could stay as a backup. Assuming they try to stop forcing him to be a conventional QB and embrace the fact that he's a running quarterback and not much more. We could win a few games if he had to come off the bench.
(12-23-2018, 05:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]Going by today I'd say just keep Bortles as the backup or bridge to whatever rookie they draft.

(12-23-2018, 05:28 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2018, 04:45 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]Blake would not restructure with all the guaranteed money his way. Something to consider though is keeping him next year regardless. ...

... I actually love the idea of actually letting Blake start next year while drafting a rookie who can take over mid-season when he's ready.

I'm on the fence about liking it or not,  but I do think what you guys are all suggesting is a real possibility. 

I mean the F.O. clearly had some faith in the guy when the extension happened. The benching came from Marrone. Not Coughwell. They may want him back. Not inconceivable.
Pages: 1 2 3