Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Uh-oh the future of Telvin Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Dave Caldwell's comment is very interesting

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/4/27/...hhhhhh-wat

Cap casuality or trade maybe?
Is there anyone on this team that the FO doesn’t rub the wrong way eventualy?
I would hate to think Telvin won't get the chance to have a bounce back season for us.

He had his problems last year, but has given us some good play before then.

If keeping him means the difference between keeping Yannick/Jalen and not, then let him walk, but I won't be happy about it.

I think Quincy Williams is the key.

If he shows something good in training camp and preseason, Smith is gone.
I love Telvin but the most disappointment thing about him is he our defensive captain. Not the type of leader we need on this D. One of the main reasons Mayock drafted Ferrell is because of his leadership on that all pro dline. I wonder if Allen has those qualities? I know he lead that Kentucky D and was never any negative stories like Oliver when he got into it with the coach, or when Sweat got kicked out of the college. I'm hoping Allen is the leader the team needs, or Jack might take that roll

As good as Allen is and as versatile, he can have the freedom to Rome and line up the Dline and backers
TC was indignant about Telvin Smith inquiries. He flatly said Telvin Smith is on the team and did not know where the reports were coming from..
Am I the only one not too concerned about Telvin?

I mean, he's shown himself to be an overly emotional person. Taunts, trash talk... became hyper-dramatic during his speech during Poz retirement. But must we assume what's really going on in his head until we actually hear from him? Silence certainly isn't good, but we just don't know what's eating him to judge whether whatever the issue is to know if it could be reconciled.

Despite that, I thought he was mature enough to be able to communicate with the team about whatever may be bothering him. Maybe not.

Regardless, this team won't suffer without him, or achieve any more with him.

I can't say I personally have a desire regarding which way this goes.

Carlyon suggested a 5th in 2020. I mean, at this point - wouldn't breaking even be a fair deal? You can't have anything back (what's been spent has been spent) and the future isn't guaranteed.

But again... I'm not sure he's much of a factor either way moving forward, whether here or gone.
(04-27-2019, 07:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]TC was indignant about Telvin Smith inquiries. He flatly said Telvin Smith is on the team and did not know where the reports were coming from..
Meh. Said similar things about Bortles too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...7661474816

Not sure how he thinks the way he played last season he deserves a better contract idk just me?
(04-27-2019, 08:27 PM)nhiverson Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status...7661474816

Not sure how he thinks the way he played last season he deserves a better contract idk just me?

I dont believe this with his play from last year.  If he played at an All Pro level like he did in 2017 then he would have a somewhat arguement.  He is still one of the highest paid off the ball LBs in the league and didnt play close to his contract last year
(04-27-2019, 07:40 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2019, 07:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]TC was indignant about Telvin Smith inquiries.  He flatly said Telvin Smith is on the team and did not know where the reports were coming from..
Meh. Said similar things about Bortles too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Touche! Tom talked Bortles up.
I feel like Telvin laughs every time he sees a twitter post or thread like this.

Telvin knows full well that as long as he shows up to the mandatory minicamp, and keeps himself prepared physically on his own, that it's all good. 
If this is all the drama the Jags have this season....I'm ok with it.
Telvin will show when it's required.....and the Jaguars will roll into 2019!
I think Telvin will show up and play more like his 2017 self than he did last year.

I believe the Jags want to give Jack another year in the middle and they want 3rd rounder, Quincy Williams to have a year to play ST and learn the defense. Next offseason Telvin's contract allows moving on from him to be more affordable if that's what they need to do.

There are several other possibilities, but this is the most likely outcome IMO.
Telvin after the extension...Just saying. To not respond to or contact the team is amateur. Do you feel me?

“Let’s talk about ball,” Smith said after Monday’s practice. “Money is money. I got paid. I’m grateful to the organization. I am happy for my family. Everyone who played a part in it, I am happy for. It is just another step in life. I have been here and now I just have a bigger bank account to say I am here.”

“I’m happy, elated,” he said. “You feel me? I’m rich. That is what people want you to do. I am going to do the opposite. I am happy I got it. You know what I am talking about? It is enough that everyone can go Google my name and [my contract] will come up. I don’t think there is too much more that I need to say. You turn on the tape, you see a player, you Google my name, you see [the contract]. I am just going to continue to be who I am [and] do what I do.”
I think he'll make it at least another year but I do fear he'll end up being a cap casualty at some point after this season is over. Same goes for Campbell and even Bouye. They absolutely have to retain Ramsey, Ngakoue and Jack. Williams and Allen being drafted pretty much puts the writing on the wall for these guys.

Bryan and Harrison last year being selected pretty much translated into Church, Gipson and Jackson being let go.

Allen and Williams pretty much translates into Campbell and Smith potentially out after this year. It's a business at the end of the day. Most of us know that. Nobody knows it better than the players though. I expect us to be in the market for a CB again during next year's draft. This is what you want to see your team doing though. You want to see talent being flipped, released and traded. You want to see elite talent being groomed and earning 2nd contracts, etc.
Telvin was lost without Poz in there. Jags made a mistake paying the guy.
134 Tackles last season.
All of this spurned from Telvin not showing up to OTAs and not calling coach to tell him he wasn't showing up to OTAs?

You people (and the ESPN people, and beat writers) work for the media or what? Grab something out of thin air and run with it.
Haha.

I was one of Telvin's biggest critics, often saying (rather tongue in cheek) he needs to give back some of that money after last season.
We didn't draft a rather unknown LB in the late 3rd to just slide in and take Telvin's spot this year.
We're not trading him. But he could be a cap casualty going into next season when we really gotta start doing contracts for Jalen and Yann

Which is fine. That's the biz. Let's not rush him out the door just yet. Certainly not over missing OTAs
(05-02-2019, 09:32 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]134 Tackles last season.

Out of position all the time, tons of 3rd and longs given up by defense.
(05-02-2019, 09:40 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]All of this spurned from Telvin not showing up to OTAs and not calling coach to tell him he wasn't showing up to OTAs?

You people (and the ESPN people, and beat writers) work for the media or what? Grab something out of thin air and run with it.
Haha.

I was one of Telvin's biggest critics, often saying (rather tongue in cheek) he needs to give back some of that money after last season.
We didn't draft a rather unknown LB in the late 3rd to just slide in and take Telvin's spot this year.
We're not trading him. But he could be a cap casualty going into next season when we really gotta start doing contracts for Jalen and Yann

Which is fine. That's the biz. Let's not rush him out the door just yet. Certainly not over missing OTAs

Oehser made a comment about Telvin's future in his O-Zone column in response to a question about possible surprise cuts early in the offseason.  I don't think the team is necessarily "rushing him out of the door" because he hasn't showed up for OTA's.  It is a problem, and I'm not sure how anyone could logically argue it's not, that he has failed to communicate with the team at all--according to reports.  He should probably give Poz a call and seek out some leadership advice.

Hopefully he's just getting his mind right for the season and will use some of this negative talk to self motivate for a big season.  The team is better off with a productive Telvin.  Time will tell though....
Pages: 1 2 3 4