Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ramsey the 9th best CB?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
He played through injury last season and took a dip in performance.

I expect he'll trend upward in these sort of lists once he gets a healthy season under his belt.

Strictly based on observed talent, I can't imagine him not being top three.
(06-07-2019, 09:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]He played through injury last season and took a dip in performance.

I expect he'll trend upward in these sort of lists once he gets a healthy season under his belt.

It reminds me of the PFF analysis that said Derek Cox was better than Darelle Revis.

Still shaking my head at that one.
Yep, Ramsey was great 2 years ago (2017) when the opposing QBs only had 2 seconds to throw the ball and the Jags had 55 sacks.  Another factor in 2017 was the fact that we went up against every backup QB in the league 

Last year (2018) -- not so great.  Our defensive pressure on the QB dwindles as did Ramsey's play on the field.
(06-07-2019, 09:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 09:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]He played through injury last season and took a dip in performance.

It reminds me of the PFF analysis that said Derek Cox was better than Darelle Revis.

LOL

Yeah, it was a rating over a certain stretch of games IIRC, but it was nonetheless a great example of misuse of statistics. 

Looking at that list I cringe a bit. In 2017 I really wanted to trade down out of that #4 (Fournette) pick and Tre White was one of the targets for me. (of course we ended up signing Bouye that offseason instead of drafting a CB)  But can you imagine White and Ramsey back there and paying 13 million less for it annually?
(06-07-2019, 09:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 09:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]It reminds me of the PFF analysis that said Derek Cox was better than Darelle Revis.

LOL

Yeah, it was a rating over a certain stretch of games IIRC, but it was nonetheless a great example of misuse of statistics. 

Looking at that list I cringe a bit. In 2017 I really wanted to trade down out of that  #4 (Fournette) pick and Tre White was one of the targets for me. (of course we ended up signing Bouye that offseason instead of drafting a CB)  But can you imagine White and Ramsey back there and paying 13 million less for it annually?

I made a post advocating Marshon Lattimore (among others) at 4 that year...so yeah...I could imagine White back there, too.
(06-07-2019, 09:57 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I made a post advocating Marshon Lattimore (among others) at 4 that year...so yeah...I could imagine White back there, too.

Yeah, I was hyped for Lattimore too. He, Adams, Hooker, and Howard were the easy top tier available for us.
(06-07-2019, 09:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 09:35 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]It reminds me of the PFF analysis that said Derek Cox was better than Darelle Revis.

LOL

Looking at that list I cringe a bit. In 2017 I really wanted to trade down out of that  #4 (Fournette) pick and Tre White was one of the targets for me. (of course we ended up signing Bouye that offseason instead of drafting a CB)  But can you imagine White and Ramsey back there and paying 13 million less for it annually?

The fournette pick is going to be Caldwell's Reggie Williams pick. Passed on a hall of fame QB for someone that will probably be out of the league within a few years.

It really comes back to projecting talent, if you can't do it then you have to get lucky or pay for the guys that have already proven it in the NFL. So far Caldwell looks like he can't project talent.
(06-07-2019, 11:34 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 09:57 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I made a post advocating Marshon Lattimore (among others) at 4 that year...so yeah...I could imagine White back there, too.

Yeah, I was hyped for Lattimore too. He, Adams, Hooker, and Howard were the easy top tier available for us.

Lots of good talent available to us at #4 that year. 

Thing is, I understand exactly why the Fournette pick was made.

From a talent and scheme fit perspective, Fournette was right up there.

Factoring in position and Fournette's immaturity is where the team missed.
(06-07-2019, 12:25 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 11:34 AM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I was hyped for Lattimore too. He, Adams, Hooker, and Howard were the easy top tier available for us.

Lots of good talent available to us at #4 that year. 

Thing is, I understand exactly why the Fournette pick was made.

From a talent and scheme fit perspective, Fournette was right up there.

Factoring in position and Fournette's immaturity is where the team missed.

I have a lot of respect for your opinions on football, Bullseye, but I'm not sure fournette really has an abundance of NFL talent. To me he looks like a guy that has some good measurables, but good measurables doesn't mean talent. Running backs need to make guys miss, and fournette almost never makes anyone miss.
Ha made me me miss Jones-Drew.
Fournette is just trying to get to his 2nd contract with limited carries and limited wear and tear on his body.

This is the wave of the future with star RBs.
Not his best year last year. The defense took a step back, and he played gimpy. That being said there's no way I'd take 8 CB's over him. That's just low balling for some reason.
I agree with JaguarJosh05.
The article doesn't even mention the effect of the offense on the defense. We fell from 5th to 15th in time of possession on offense last season. Coupled that with Blake's worse play, I think it's obvious Ramsey is going to take a step back. Ramsey didn't play his best last season, but I wouldn't take any other CB over him.
I’d bet any amount of money the Ravens would gladly trade Brandon Carr (the #4 corner according to the article) for Ramsey.
Obj was breaking his ankles left and right. 9th ranking is about right.
I agree with some here. Ramsey is great but last year he was far from the best. A couple of receivers ate his lunch last year. I hope he can stop being so arrogant and get his heads out of the cloud to be humbled by over confidence last year.
(06-07-2019, 07:44 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Obj was breaking his ankles left and right.   9th ranking is about right.

So, would you take all eight CBs listed ahead of him in the article over him, or are there others you like more?
(06-07-2019, 11:24 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2019, 07:44 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Obj was breaking his ankles left and right.   9th ranking is about right.

So, would you take all eight CBs listed ahead of him in the article over him, or are there others you like more?

I didn't realize just how impressive Stephen Gilmore's metrics were. They're better than Ramseys. However, as soon as I get to their #2 guy, Will Fuller, I see that Ramsey's numbers look even better. So, maybe he's not #1 last year, but I'd put Ramsey #2. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5