Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What exactly did people see on Fournette?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
To rank him over Cook and McCaffrey? Yes the O-line has been horrible but he is been awful too.
I don’t know.

Tried to tell people that Bama game was the best indicator for what he’d face on Sundays as a jag.

Nearly everyone said “outlier” but 80% of his NFL games have looked just like it.
I didn't want to draft him before the draft and I wish they didn't draft him even more now.
I hope Flip figures out how to manufacture some better blocking Sunday
(09-27-2019, 10:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I hope Flip figures out how to manufacture some better blocking Sunday

If Norwell wasn't being paid so much, I'd say give Richardson some work at LG. 

Norwell needs to play so much better, hes been god awful. I don't know if he's playing really injured or something, but hes been far and away our worst guy on the OL this season. That $16m cap hit for him this season is not looking good.
Always liked McCaffrey over Fournette. But I was mostly high on Marshon Lattimore, Derek Barnett & Johnathan Allen personally that year and was hoping for a trade down if anything.

But I didnt like Fournette. His ankle was an issue. He didn't really have big games against tough competition. Everyone got hyped up on his measurables.

I said the same damn thing in 2015 when they picked Fowler Jr. over Leonard Williams. It's aggravating. Measurables don't always translate into the NFL.

The phrase "Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane" didn't just fall out of the sky around the scouting community for no reason.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(09-27-2019, 10:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2019, 10:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I hope Flip figures out how to manufacture some better blocking Sunday

Norwell needs to play so much better, hes been god awful. I don't know if he's playing really injured or something, but hes been far and away our worst guy on the OL this season. That $16m cap hit for him this season is not looking good.

Hell, I can't believe they actually intend to start Cann over Will Rich. at RG!  

And yes, if Norwell doesn't get his [BLEEP] together soon, I'd love to see Richardson there for a quarter.
(09-27-2019, 10:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2019, 10:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]If Norwell wasn't being paid so much, I'd say give Richardson some work at LG. 

Hell, I can't believe they actually intend to start Cann over Will Rich. at RG!  

And yes, if Norwell doesn't get his [BLEEP] together soon, I'd love to see Richardson there for a quarter.

Will Richardson did have some pretty bad whiffs on TNF at RG, which might have something to do with them still giving Cann the nod for at least one more game.

Hopefully Cam getting back into the swing of things at LT will help Norwell out some. Although a lot of his blunders have looked to be confusion between him and Linder.
(09-27-2019, 10:12 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]To rank him over Cook and McCaffrey? Yes the O-line has been horrible but he is been awful too.

Blame it on the jaguars scouts, they saw him as a generational talent for the archaic lead back, I-formation, run run pass punt offense.
Wonder if someone can start a trade rumor..a false “leak”... someone please trade us something. A 6th rounder?
Use him like we did Grant more. He can’t run I formation between the tackles 95% of the time. Our o line isn’t good enough to give him what he needs. And his vision isn’t good enough in there. The playcalling for him needs to be adjusted.
(09-27-2019, 10:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]

"Hold my beer."
-A.J. Cann
(09-28-2019, 12:52 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2019, 10:45 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]If Norwell wasn't being paid so much, I'd say give Richardson some work at LG. 

"Hold my beer."
-A.J. Cann

Cann isn't any good either, but through the first 3 games, Norwell has definitely been worse than he has. It's sad to say, but it's true. Norwell has been really, really bad so far this season.
I saw a guy who needed a big run way to be effective because he severely lacked lateral quickness. Saw a guy who should be taken 2nd round. Knew TC would pick him, a clear TC move.

What we saw in year one was at least the use of a spin move until his ankle gave. It was moderately effective, but he literally used it every single run. He also was much more physical year 1, always begging for more contact. Now in year 3 I don’t ever see that spin move nor is he nearly as physical. Hasn’t created any moves. To sum it up, he’s regressed from year 1.

The RB evaluations from this FO has been garbage from day 1 with Chris Ivory to now Armstead I guess. I know it’s only 3 games, but I think we all are scratching our heads as to how he isn’t getting a single snap.

What I found alarming was Fournette said nobody practiced at all during preseason. We were atleast led to believe they were practicing hard together and not playing in games. They had zero work leading up to these games, that’s insane.
I've always hated the idea of picking a RB in the top 5. Top 10 is even pushing it. RB might be the easiest position to find talent in the middle rounds and are cheap to sign via free agency.
Next Draft Priorities: RG, CB, RB
(09-28-2019, 06:03 AM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: [ -> ]Next Draft Priorities: RG, CB, RB

In no particular order, these guys would be ideal for your priorities:

RG - Ben Cleveland- Georgia / Alex Leatherwood - Alabama
CB - Trevon Diggs - Alabama / Jaylon Johnson - Utah
RB - D'Andre Swift - Georgia / Cam Akers - Florida State

Can't go wrong with any of those six guys right now. One other RB I like right now but haven't seen enough of just yet this year is Chuba Hubbard out of Oklahoma State. Looks like they're just focusing in on him as a runner this year but he made some splash plays in the receiving game last year.
No idea what anyone else saw. When he came in heavy and ran slow at the combine that should have been all anyone needed to see from the guy.

However the big problem wasn't that Fournette obviously didn't have elite NFL talent, the big problem is RB should never be taken in the top five of the draft at all, and only obvious can't miss guys should even be taken in the first round.

Derrick Henry is the better NFL player and he was taken something like 50 picks later than Fournette. Picking RB too high has been an ongoing problem under Caldwell. I'd say Khan needs to make a rule for the front office, whenever they make their draft boards, take every RB on it and move them down two rounds to get to where they should actually be picked.
(09-28-2019, 07:55 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]No idea what anyone else saw. When he came in heavy and ran slow at the combine that should have been all anyone needed to see from the guy.

However the big problem wasn't that Fournette obviously didn't have elite NFL talent, the big problem is RB should never be taken in the top five of the draft at all, and only obvious can't miss guys should even be taken in the first round.

Derrick Henry is the better NFL player and he was taken something like 50 picks later than Fournette. Picking RB too high has been an ongoing problem under Caldwell. I'd say Khan needs to make a rule for the front office, whenever they make their draft boards, take every RB on it and move them down two rounds to get to where they should actually be picked.

You say that but a lot of our history in Jacksonville truly dictates otherwise. It made sense THEN. But it doesn't make much sense NOW. I get why they pulled the trigger on Fournette though. They were hoping to get Zeke Elliott 2.0 after the Cowgirls passed up on Jalen Ramsey for him instead the previous year.

But Fournette didn't have a multipurpose aspect to his game coming out of LSU like Elliott and Barkley and even McCaffrey did. And he wasn't nearly as dominate as a pure runner like Adrian Peterson was coming out of Oklahoma. Plus the ankle stuff. And lack of showing up against the premier defenses in the NCAA.

And after Fred Taylor was let go and after Maurice Jones-Drew was let go this team DROWNED in the ground game. It was BAD. B-A-D. BAD. It went from MJD's 1600 yard efforts in 2011 to a rotation of nobodies in 2012 that saw less than 1400 yards on the ground. And then for the next four or five years the running game was essentially non existent. And we clearly lacked the QB and HC with the offensive chops to make something out of this team.

Was it a reach? Absolutely. Did they make the right choice? Probably not. But... I get why they did it.
(09-28-2019, 08:09 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-28-2019, 07:55 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]No idea what anyone else saw. When he came in heavy and ran slow at the combine that should have been all anyone needed to see from the guy.

You say that but a lot of our history in Jacksonville truly dictates otherwise. It made sense THEN. But it doesn't make much sense NOW. I get why they pulled the trigger on Fournette though. They were hoping to get Zeke Elliott 2.0 after the Cowgirls passed up on Jalen Ramsey for him instead the previous year.

But Fournette didn't have a multipurpose aspect to his game coming out of LSU like Elliott and Barkley and even McCaffrey did. And he wasn't nearly as dominate as a pure runner like Adrian Peterson was coming out of Oklahoma. Plus the ankle stuff. And lack of showing up against the premier defenses in the NCAA.

And after Fred Taylor was let go and after Maurice Jones-Drew was let go this team DROWNED in the ground game. It was BAD. B-A-D. BAD. It went from MDJ's 1600 yard efforts in 2011 to a rotation of nobodies in 2012 that saw less than 1400 yards on the ground. And then for the next four or five years the running game was essentially non existent. And we clearly lacked the QB and HC with the offensive chops to make something out of this team.

Was it a reach? Absolutely. Did they make the right choice? Probably not. But... I get why they did it.

They completely misunderstood the cowgirls success. It was about getting lucky on Prescott in the later rounds more than Elliot.

We do agree about Fournette obviously being a lesser RB than those others, though. The 2017 draft was stacked with good RB talent, so of course the jaguars blew their load reaching on one that wasn't even good.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5