Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell staying
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Damn
Khan is a [BLEEP] idiot and he is the biggest problem of this franchise.
I'm a little surprised Marrone was retained. Not that surprised about Caldwell.
There's just so much we don't know about how things were mismanaged under Coughlin and the Khans are privy to all of it. Praying for Wash and Warhop firings to be announced.
(12-31-2019, 11:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a little surprised Marrone was retained.  Not that surprised about Caldwell.
There's just so much we don't know about how things were mismanaged under Coughlin and the Khans are privy to all of it. Praying for Wash and Warhop firings to be announced.

If one stays, the other stays as well. Any new GM will want to put in his own head coach, and letting Caldwell pick a new HC while he's clearly in a make or break year isn't a good idea either.
Caldwell being retained is less of a surprise and less of a nausea-inducing bit of news because I'm not sure he ever got a fair shake, but keeping Marrone just doesn't make sense.
They play the AFC North and NFC North. They'll be lucky to get 6 again with this staff. Wash has to go. Surprised that wasn't done yet.

Coughlin gets to be the scapegoat for these guys which is pathetic since he was brought here to make up for Caldwell's inability to get it done to begin with and Marrone was a Bradley hire.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So the question now is what's their leash? If they're 5-7 next year and near the top of the league in penalties again does Khan finally pull the trigger, or are they getting a shot at yet another rebuild and several years to go along with it? The roster seems in dire need of overhaul, and with multiple first round picks this year would have been ideal to start a new direction.
(12-31-2019, 11:56 AM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 11:52 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a little surprised Marrone was retained.  Not that surprised about Caldwell.

If one stays, the other stays as well. Any new GM will want to put in his own head coach, and letting Caldwell pick a new HC while he's clearly in a make or break year isn't a good idea either.

Makes sense.
(12-31-2019, 12:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]They play the AFC North and NFC North. They'll be lucky to get 6 again with this staff. Wash has to go. Surprised that wasn't done yet.

Coughlin gets to be the scapegoat for these guys which is pathetic since he was brought here to make up for Caldwell's inability to get it done to begin with and Marrone was a Bradley hire.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
With the draft capital we have, NOW was the time to make a move at GM if a move was going to be made.

Here is MY theory on why it wasn't.

Tony Khan is in training to be an NFL GM and has convinced his father that he can play that role one day. Tony is working closely with Caldwell on how the job is done and when the franchise continues to perform poorly, eventually Dave will be fired and Tony will step into that role full time.

If Tony Khan isn't the GM of this franchise in the next 3 years, I would be absolutely shocked.
Great, 2 more wasted first-round picks....
(12-31-2019, 12:35 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]Great, 2 more wasted first-round picks....

Don't worry, we have a Super Bowl MVP quarterback.   Laughing Laughing Laughing
(12-31-2019, 12:38 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 12:35 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]Great, 2 more wasted first-round picks....

Don't worry, we have a Super Bowl MVP quarterback.   Laughing Laughing Laughing

We do, but with the o-line, he will get killed back there. Better than Minshew
(12-31-2019, 12:40 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 12:38 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]Don't worry, we have a Super Bowl MVP quarterback.   Laughing Laughing Laughing

We do, but with the o-line, he will get killed back there. Better than Minshew

In no way shape or form is Nick Foles even on par with Minshew... better than Minshew - You're insane. Nick Foles SUCKS.
Maybe. Maybe not. If Marrone gets more of a say I would like to hope and think that they meet in the middle in that war room.

He'll probably want one of those top offensive lineman prospects and a linebacker that can play inside.

Two glaring issues in 2019 were the consistent out of position players on defense and not enough time for neither passer to get consistently comfortable.

This defense lacks a voice in the middle of it to keep them in check and keep them lined up accordingly. It's been missing since Paul retired.

The only good thing for me with Marrone staying is that Flip should be staying and thus it gives us a fair look at Minshew and Foles again going into 2020.

Maybe Minshew gets a more favorable offensive installment for his skills and they're able to attack defenses differently.

Ultimately the defense has to be resolved in 2020. They have to secure a commanding presence in the middle. They need an enforcer in the secondary as well.

(12-31-2019, 12:03 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]So the question now is what's their leash? If they're 5-7 next year and near the top of the league in penalties again does Khan finally pull the trigger, or are they getting a shot at yet another rebuild and several years to go along with it? The roster seems in dire need of overhaul, and with multiple first round picks this year would have been ideal to start a new direction.
Leash is short. Especially after Khan has publicly backed them two years in a row.

If they get off to a 1 - 5 start or winless start by week 7 there's a good chance Khan goes Dan Synder and fires him extremely early.

He would have no choice. It's going to be a hard sell at the ticket booth next year. Winning cures all of course. But if they don't win early and often?

I'm trying hard not to overreact to any of this.

However -

If I find out that Wash is staying, not altering scheme, and leaving Myles Jack in the middle I might lose any sense of composure for a minute.
Frustrating but what can you do?
(12-31-2019, 12:55 PM)EricC85 Wrote: [ -> ]Frustrating but what can you do?

Honestly? don't support this garbage, don't give them any money, that's all we can do.
(12-31-2019, 12:54 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying hard not to overreact to any of this.

However -

If I find out that Wash is staying, not altering scheme, and leaving Myles Jack in the middle I might lose any sense of composure for a minute.

Overactor
(12-31-2019, 12:43 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 12:40 PM)Ronster Wrote: [ -> ]We do, but with the o-line, he will get killed back there. Better than Minshew

In no way shape or form is Nick Foles even on par with Minshew... better than Minshew - You're insane. Nick Foles SUCKS.

Foles has been solid in the past with better teams that bother to field an offensive line. He didn't get a fair shake here. He was rushed back onto the field while still hurt and placed behind a line that tried their hardest to get him killed. I'd rather have Minshew than Foles long term, but Foles doesn't suck at all. What sucks is that the Jaguars vastly overpaid for him. Remember, at the end of the preseason, many here were clamoring for Minshew to be cut. How would that have worked out?
Pages: 1 2 3