Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ok, Going Forward...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We now know that Marrone and Caldwell are here for at least another year. Also, it's been hinted that everyone on the current staff will be back. Unfortunately, that means that Goldberg's twin will remain and so our defensive scheme. 

So what should we do with our existing players? Does Campbell come back for one more year? He played pretty dang well this year. I had always thought that he'd retire after this year, but I'm thinking he might come back now. 

Are we going to let Yan walk or franchise him and make him more determined to leave? I think we need to sign him. The problem is that TC jacked our cap structure again (deja vu baby....) before departing. Don't we gain back that space from Bortles stupid extension? What can we do with Foles? Are we going to have to give someone a draft pick to take him off our hands? 

And does anyone believe that Ramsey will make a crazy move to come back if we can create the cap space? Someone posted a Twitter (fake of course) post of his account telling the Rams thanks for the free draft picks and him coming back LoL! What if that was his and Mr. Khan's plan all along? Haha it won't happen, but thought it was funny. 

And finally, the draft. Why is the draft our most exciting time of the year? Every year..... #becauseJaguars.... do we draft a qb? I think Minshew could be our guy. The team just plays so much better with him in there and coming back or keeping a drive going just doesn't seem impossible like it once was for us. I think we have to go O line and linebacker in the early rounds.

Another [BLEEP] year down in the books. Please let us break this once in a decade curse....
Expensive Super Bowl MVP statue QB needs weapons, lots of weapons and armored brinks kinda of protection.
(12-31-2019, 02:30 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]We now know that Marrone and Caldwell are here for at least another year. Also, it's been hinted that everyone on the current staff will be back. Unfortunately, that means that Goldberg's twin will remain and so our defensive scheme. 

So what should we do with our existing players? 

Sign or tag Ngakoue.

Move Jack to will.

Acquire capable middle linebacker.

Acquire nose tackle run stuffer. 

Move Cam to guard. 

Acquire Left Tackle.

Acquire CB.  

Acquire TE. 

Keep Calais one more year to mentor Allen but try to restructure. 

Cuts:   Lee, Dareus (unless he's healed well and will restructure), AJ Cann, Abry Jones, Jake Ryan, and maybe Bouye
That clears up about 48 million w/ Bouye gone, 37 million if you keep Bouye. 

This  ^ as a bare minimum could at least limit the ugly losses to fewer than 2019.
(12-31-2019, 03:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 02:30 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]We now know that Marrone and Caldwell are here for at least another year. Also, it's been hinted that everyone on the current staff will be back. Unfortunately, that means that Goldberg's twin will remain and so our defensive scheme. 

So what should we do with our existing players? 

Sign or tag Ngakoue.

Move Jack to will.

Move Cam to guard. 

Acquire Left Tackle.

Acquire CB.  

Acquire TE. 

Cuts:   Lee, Dareus (unless he's healed well and will restructure), AJ Cann, Abry Jones, Jake Ryan, and maybe Bouye

This  ^ as a bare minimum could at least limit the ugly losses to fewer than 2019.

I like most of those moves. However, the loss of Bouye I'm a little scared of. Herndon actually started playing really well after we lost Ramsey, so I'm good with him being our #2. But him as a #1 scares me and I don't know if bringing in a rookie to be our #1 is a strong move either. Abry Jones is another one I might reconsider keeping. But a lot depends on the cap need I agree.

The move of Cam to guard is very interesting. Does this mean that Norwell moves to RG?

What about that 25 mil of space we lost from the Bortles extension. Do we get that space back this year now that that is gone? Is that already calculated into the 48 mil? I'm assuming so.
(12-31-2019, 04:18 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 03:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Sign or tag Ngakoue.

Move Jack to will.

Move Cam to guard. 

Acquire Left Tackle.

Acquire CB.  

Acquire TE. 

I like most of those moves. However, the loss of Bouye I'm a little scared of. Herndon actually started playing really well after we lost Ramsey, so I'm good with him being our #2. But him as a #1 scares me and I don't know if bringing in a rookie to be our #1 is a strong move either. Abry Jones is another one I might reconsider keeping. But a lot depends on the cap need I agree.

The move of Cam to guard is very interesting. Does this mean that Norwell moves to RG?

What about that 25 mil of space we lost from the Bortles extension. Do we get that space back this year now that that is gone? Is that already calculated into the 48 mil? I'm assuming so.

The (potential)  Bouye move is about his declining play and replacing his inflated salary with a rookie contract. 
It's unlikely we can magically fix every weak spot on the defense in one offseason and if 2020 is a transitional year for the secondary, so be it. I'd also add competition for Herndon later in the draft or through mid-tier free agency. But I'd use one of the first four picks in the draft on a corner to replace Bouye if I release him.  

I'd let Norwell, Cam, Richardson and a late round pick compete for the guard spots and chips fall where they may.

Abry was to ineffective against the run for a guy that's supposed to rotate at nose tackle for me to justify keeping him around. Just my personal take on that. That type of DT should be tougher to move off the line than he has been. 

The Jags should have 9.8 million in cap space entering the offseason. That figures in the Bortles thing. 

These suggested moves would create an additional 48 million in space.  This way the Jags can afford a couple of free agent signings.
(12-31-2019, 04:18 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 03:51 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Sign or tag Ngakoue.

Move Jack to will.

Move Cam to guard. 

Acquire Left Tackle.

Acquire CB.  

Acquire TE. 

What does Abry Jones do good?  He is a 4 mil cap hit and makes about 3 or 4 good plays a year
(12-31-2019, 06:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 04:18 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: [ -> ]I like most of those moves. However, the loss of Bouye I'm a little scared of. Herndon actually started playing really well after we lost Ramsey, so I'm good with him being our #2. But him as a #1 scares me and I don't know if bringing in a rookie to be our #1 is a strong move either. Abry Jones is another one I might reconsider keeping. But a lot depends on the cap need I agree.

What does Abry Jones do good?  He is a 4 mil cap hit and makes about 3 or 4 good plays a year

He's a solid backup-level player.  He'd be okay in an 8-man rotation.  No way is he a starting quality player.  But there's no reason to get rid of him, either.
Get offensive and Defensive linemen will be #1 priority due to where we pick in the draft. Jags also need linebackers through the draft and free agency. Time to restructure some deals and let others walk.
(12-31-2019, 07:00 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 06:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]What does Abry Jones do good?  He is a 4 mil cap hit and makes about 3 or 4 good plays a year

He's a solid backup-level player.  He'd be okay in an 8-man rotation.  No way is he a starting quality player.  But there's no reason to get rid of him, either.

A NT that is not good against the run is not a good rotational player imo.  Especially for 4 mil a year.  Maybe not you, but I want my NT to be good against the run
(12-31-2019, 06:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The (potential)  Bouye move is about his declining play and replacing his inflated salary with a rookie contract. 
It's unlikely we can magically fix every weak spot on the defense in one offseason and if 2020 is a transitional year for the secondary, so be it. I'd also add competition for Herndon later in the draft or through mid-tier free agency. But I'd use one of the first four picks in the draft on a corner to replace Bouye if I release him.  

I'd let Norwell, Cam, Richardson and a late round pick compete for the guard spots and chips fall where they may.

Abry was to ineffective against the run for a guy that's supposed to rotate at nose tackle for me to justify keeping him around. Just my personal take on that. That type of DT should be tougher to move off the line than he has been. 

The Jags should have 9.8 million in cap space entering the offseason. That figures in the Bortles thing. 

These suggested moves would create an additional 48 million in space.  This way the Jags can afford a couple of free agent signings.

Bouye is a decent CB. I can't see Marrone and Caldwell, being on the hot seat, ridding themselves of their best CB. 

He's definitely not earning the 3rd-highest CB salary, but I don't think the benefit of saving money outweighs the drop in performance at the position. But I'm not against the idea of releasing him if we can use the savings at LB or DT should there be a suitable FA available.
(12-31-2019, 07:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 07:00 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]He's a solid backup-level player.  He'd be okay in an 8-man rotation.  No way is he a starting quality player.  But there's no reason to get rid of him, either.

A NT that is not good against the run is not a good rotational player imo.  Especially for 4 mil a year.  Maybe not you, but I want my NT to be good against the run

I agree with those points, but I also think he's a decent back up. I'm not sure where the 4 mil stands with back ups either though. If that is high, maybe cutting him is the best way to go. I was just saying he's a good body to have for the line. Especially since the injury bug loves our team most years...
(12-31-2019, 07:10 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 06:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The (potential)  Bouye move is about his declining play and replacing his inflated salary with a rookie contract. 

Bouye is a decent CB. I can't see Marrone and Caldwell, being on the hot seat, ridding themselves of their best CB. 

He's definitely not earning the 3rd-highest CB salary, but I don't think the benefit of saving money outweighs the drop in performance at the position. But I'm not against the idea of releasing him if we can use the savings at LB or DT should there be a suitable FA available.

I'd not be surprised if they keep him. And I get it. 

I'd also be fine if they decide his salary as a hindrance and replaced him with a 1st or second round rookie.
Here is the path forward.... delusion, getting pencil whipped by every team in the division, struggling to hit .500 football. But hey we did gaff away that one subpar bowl shot in 2017. Good job owner.

All of you are posting nice things and I appreciate your optimism for sure. Obviously they are doubling down on Minshew and leveraging his development as the top priority. Honestly, I would like someone with half a brain cell to be managing his development. The guy has basically done everything himself and by his own will power. This staff takes talented players and keeps them where they were at the time of draft day selection. That is one of the big strikes against the team. Even if Caldwell is capable, the disconnect between the Front Office and Coaching is deeper than Coughlin breaking rules.
(12-31-2019, 07:10 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]

Imo we should cut him, he isn't even playing like a top 15 CB. Too much money for what we are getting.
(12-31-2019, 09:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 07:10 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]Bouye is a decent CB. I can't see Marrone and Caldwell, being on the hot seat, ridding themselves of their best CB. 

Imo we should cut him, he isn't even playing like a top 15 CB. Too much money for what we are getting.

Brilliant... We already got enough holes to fill, but why stop at only needing to get 1 CB this off season/draft... Lets open up another hole and make it 2 CBs this off season/draft..  Wallbash
Moving forward, wonder if there is any sort of agreement/deal they can make to get Foles off this team. Judging by all the comments we have heard from the staff since Coughlin was released, seems to me Foles was a Coughlin pickup. Also was the reason why Minshew got benched. Just an awkward mix to have Foles on the team.
(12-31-2019, 09:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 07:10 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: [ -> ]Bouye is a decent CB. I can't see Marrone and Caldwell, being on the hot seat, ridding themselves of their best CB. 

They probably won't cut him because they cannot afford to make the team worse, even if it makes sense in the long term.  Caldwell and Marrone need to win now.  That means most of their moves will be short term moves, not long term moves.
(01-01-2020, 06:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-31-2019, 09:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]Imo we should cut him, he isn't even playing like a top 15 CB. Too much money for what we are getting.

They probably won't cut him because they cannot afford to make the team worse, even if it makes sense in the long term.  Caldwell and Marrone need to win now.  That means most of their moves will be short term moves, not long term moves.
And that’s the biggest issue here.

Hurting the future because they have to win now.
(01-01-2020, 09:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2020, 06:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]They probably won't cut him because they cannot afford to make the team worse, even if it makes sense in the long term.  Caldwell and Marrone need to win now.  That means most of their moves will be short term moves, not long term moves.
And that’s the biggest issue here.

Hurting the future because they have to win now.

Right, I expect the two firsts and the second to be used on bad reaches and some really dumb cap decisions to be made handicapping whoever comes in to replace the current clownshow once Khan finally wises up.
Resign 91.

I hope one of the first rounders is an offensive lineman and the other is a good defender. I wouldn’t be mad if they took a very talented receiver in the first if it was BPA.

My first goal would be to add 1 blue chip OL(probably a tackle with this draft) and reshuffle the offensive line. Maybe take some interior linemen in later rounds(but mostly spend the draft focused heavily on defense).

After some of the cap savings of roster moves that others have mentioned, I would seriously look at Byron Jones from Dallas. He has played CB and safety. He doesn’t get a ton of interceptions but his name is rarely ever called. He is a physical freak and they cannot afford to keep him.

I think TE should be addressed in free agency. I don’t think you need a superstar just a starter in the league.

Also, let’s retool this offense for Minshew and move forward. I see Foles here at least another year unless Caldwell somehow flips him to a team like Chicago
Pages: 1 2 3