Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Could Bears be trade partner for Foles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://itsgame7.com/bears-jaguars-worki...ack-trade/

Interesting ties to Chicago for Foles.

Don't see it happening though.
I say doubtful. I think we will have a massively paid Back up. That article
Title ends in a “?” And begins with “are”. Means nothing.
Would love for it to happen, but I can't see a way the Bears would do it. Too much money for Foles. Bears already strapped for cash and have many needs.
We'd be eating a portion of the cap in any trade scenario
(01-17-2020, 09:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]We'd be eating a portion of the cap in any trade scenario

Even though I agree, is that the lesser of two evils or no?   Very competent backup.  Would be useful if needed.  But, would the very limited savings next year be worth it for a pick? Even a late rounder?  What’s more important? The back up at a high price or getting rid of him no matter how minuscule the savings are next year?
Bears are one of the worst fits with their cap situation. I doubt that a new QB coach has much pull in player acquisition also.
Would be great if we could get anything for him. Foles maybe a good QB but not for this team.
(01-17-2020, 09:13 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2020, 09:09 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]We'd be eating a portion of the cap in any trade scenario

Even though I agree, is that the lesser of two evils or no?   Very competent backup.  Would be useful if needed.  But, would the very limited savings next year be worth it for a pick? Even a late rounder?  What’s more important? The back up at a high price or getting rid of him no matter how minuscule the savings are next year?

It's highly unlikely either way. Getting rid of Foles would be a positive even if you move a pick and eat some cap along the way
(01-17-2020, 10:47 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Would be great if we could get anything for him.   Foles maybe a good QB but not for this team.

We can't get anything in trade.  In fact, we'd probably have to include a draft pick to get a team to take on that salary.  Sort of like the Broncos did with Osweiler.  This may not be exactly accurate, but as I recall, they traded Osweiler plus a 2nd round pick for something like a 7th round pick.  They paid another team a draft pick to get them to take Osweiler and his huge contract.  

As for the Bears, their contract with Trubisky runs out at the end of 2020.  They have to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option at a cost of $25 million.  They won't do that.  So they will be in the market for a QB.

(01-17-2020, 09:13 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]

We'd probably have to include a mid-round pick to move him.  So it will be like paying someone to take him.  

But the other consideration is, if we decide to go all in with Minshew, do we want this high-priced backup looking over his shoulder?  Or do young QBs do best when you show them absolute commitment- not having an insurance policy on the team that might displace them?
(01-17-2020, 08:37 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]Would love for it to happen, but I can't see a way the Bears would do it. Too much money for Foles. Bears already strapped for cash and have many needs.

They have a huge need at QB, because Trubisky's contract runs out after next year and the 5th year option would cost them $25 million.  Besides, most people have come to the conclusion that Trubisky is a failure.
If Foles had proven anything here we might be able to unload him. Unfortunately, after being benched for a 6th round draft pick, we’re stuck with a high priced trinket.
Foles is garbage, and good need a Grigson level GM to trade anything for him. I don't see it happening.
Just keep him. We'd have to send a pick to another team to get them to pick up his contract, and considering that we're paying our starter virtually nothing, that's not a leap we have to make.
Bears are unlikely even with the Matt Nagy connections because they’re apparently committed to Trubisky for at least one more year. To me a team that makes allot of sense in the Tampa Bay Buccaneers they sound like they’re ready to dump Winston and with Bruce Arians there and don’t own a high draft pick that makes allot of sense. Pittsburgh could be a possibility because Ben may be out a good portion to start the year. From what I read it would save us 4 million this year but his 12 mill dead cap hit would come off next year so we should do it without a doubt. Also have to remember for a team trading for him they will have no dead money going forward so they could get rid of him at any time so that’s pretty appealing.
(01-18-2020, 06:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-17-2020, 08:37 PM)High Octane Wrote: [ -> ]Would love for it to happen, but I can't see a way the Bears would do it. Too much money for Foles. Bears already strapped for cash and have many needs.

They have a huge need at QB, because Trubisky's contract runs out after next year and the 5th year option would cost them $25 million.  Besides, most people have come to the conclusion that Trubisky is a failure.

Most of the sports guys here in Chicago are saying the Bears will likely pick up that option. The Bears GM Ryan Pace absolutely loves Mitch Trubisky and he's loyal to a fault. 
He went against most people in the building when he drafted Mitch. If they don't keep Mitch, it'll be like Pace admitting he's wrong, and he's a very prideful guy.

Regardless, I don't see the Bears interested too much in Nick at his price. I'm constantly hearing reports from Hallis Hall that Bears are interested in Mariota, Bridgewater (if the price is below $20mil), and to a lesser extent, Andy Dalton. But most reports are saying the Bears are 100% sticking with Trubisky this year, and just going to find an upgraded backup.
There may be a trade market for foles as the offseason unfolds. You never know What team who thought they were Super Bowl contenders may find themselves in need of a quarterback due to unforeseen circumstances.
(01-18-2020, 03:07 PM)I’m Newton Wrote: [ -> ]There may be a trade market for foles as the offseason unfolds. You never know What team who thought they were Super Bowl contenders may find themselves in need of a quarterback due to unforeseen circumstances.

I do believe that if it somehow happens, injury/desperation  will be a factor
It’s going to be tough getting Foles out of Jax. I think it should be a priority after the draft.
(01-18-2020, 03:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2020, 03:07 PM)I’m Newton Wrote: [ -> ]There may be a trade market for foles as the offseason unfolds. You never know What team who thought they were Super Bowl contenders may find themselves in need of a quarterback due to unforeseen circumstances.

I do believe that if it somehow happens, injury/desperation  will be a factor

This. This pretty much sums it up best regarding any hope of gaining any type of return on Nick Foles. It'll more than likely be mid season of 2020 with a team missing it's starting QB in desperation of keeping it's play off hopes alive. 

But. . . on the flip side. We could be pushing for a play off run and we may not want to ship off Foles incase *knock on wood three times* something happens to Minshew. Unless Dobbs is awesome during training camp. Remains to be seen.
(01-19-2020, 09:27 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2020, 03:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I do believe that if it somehow happens, injury/desperation  will be a factor

This. This pretty much sums it up best regarding any hope of gaining any type of return on Nick Foles. It'll more than likely be mid season of 2020 with a team missing it's starting QB in desperation of keeping it's play off hopes alive. 

But. . . on the flip side. We could be pushing for a play off run and we may not want to ship off Foles incase *knock on wood three times* something happens to Minshew. Unless Dobbs is awesome during training camp. Remains to be seen.

LOL, I admire your optimism but this team is not going to be competing for a playoff spot in 2020.  At best, we're looking at another 6-10 season.  

The reason you ship Foles off is for the future.  Build a healthy salary cap so you can re-sign Yan, Chark, Allen, etc. so you're not forced to trade away your best players.
Pages: 1 2 3