Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake as a backup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Fake Schefter account, but raises a fun question. Would you be open to bringing back Bortles as a backup? I for one would.

Also, a QB room of Minshew and the Boat, sheesh lol

[Image: FB-IMG-1584562968911.jpg]
I am not this brand of "glutton for punishment."

No.
I'd prefer the back up QB be able to throw a football correctly and not need football spiral throwing camp every summer. We got 12 picks in the draft, use one on a backup.
We traded a 5th last year for Dobbs so they obviously feel he is a decent backup. But no thanks
(03-18-2020, 07:00 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I am not this brand of "glutton for punishment."

No.

He's probably an upgrade over Dobbs. On one hand, if he's secure as a backup and comes in a game or two, he might decide he has nothing to lose by slinging the ball around the yard as he did against the Patriots to start the 2018 season. That would be good Blake, when he feels no pressure. But bad Blake emerged when he felt pressure to be the BOAT and carry the team. 

On the other hand, while he's mobile, his accuracy is not a good fit in Gruden's offense. He's a better fit in a play-action system that uses his mobility as a threat via RPOs and designed runs. But his best fit is holding the clipboard. Henne groomed him well for that.
Is JaMarcus Russell available?
I’m fine with Minshew and Dobbs. Dobbs has played in some big time games during college. He’s got a couple seasons under his belt as a pro and he’s still young.

Bortles had his time here.
I vote No and I want to see what Dobbs brings to the field. I'm eager to see his style.

NH3...
(03-18-2020, 07:49 PM)NH3 Wrote: [ -> ]I vote No and I want to see what Dobbs brings to the field. I'm eager to see his style.

NH3...

OK,  I concur. I'm for drafting another QB prospect in the 6th round to compete with Dobbs.
All else being equal, I'd rather have Blake than Dobbs. But assuming Blake may cost more.
It would be weird but Foles hasn't managed to play up to Blake's level here yet. It's pretty clear now that 2018 wasn't because of the QB.
I'm not 100% opposed to the idea, but there are like 20 other backups / rookies I'd rather have than him.
Keep Dobbs, sign a couple UDFAs to be the camp guys then pick one to be the PS QB.
Is the tractor guy unavailable?
This is the same argument as calls to bring Fowler back. That chapter is closed, for both parties.

Just like Gabby, Bort will carve out a decent career of floating from one team to another, serving as an ample, experienced backup. There are plenty of other players out there. Like Foles, you could tell the team just didn't click with him, and there's still enough guys on the team that that lack of confidence would hinder performance. Why would you want to re-live that misery?
(03-18-2020, 11:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Keep Dobbs, sign a couple UDFAs to be the camp guys then pick one to be the PS QB.

^

this
Hmm.... Just delete her number bro. She ain't coming back.
I'd like a backup that can throw a ball
Oh hell NO
NO WAY!
(03-19-2020, 04:09 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm.... Just delete her number bro. She ain't coming back.

But she said she still loves me!!!!
Pages: 1 2 3