Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 3-4 Defensive look finally happening?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As I've said, given the incredible turnover that has already happened on defense, if there is a year to switch, this is it.

But I still prefer the 4-3 as a general rule.
Wonder how the 34 setup would look with our current roster....

Williams Jack Scho Allen
Smoot Woods Bryan

?
Pretty sure there’s stats to prove that teams with a 3-4 defense have won more games in the last 2 decades.. could be wrong though
(04-16-2020, 11:26 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder how the 34 setup would look with our current roster....

Williams Jack Scho Allen
Smoot Woods Bryan

?

Lol .... even SEC coaches would cringe over this lineup.
(04-16-2020, 11:33 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2020, 11:26 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder how the 34 setup would look with our current roster....

Williams Jack Scho Allen
Smoot Woods Bryan

?

Lol .... even SEC coaches would cringe over this lineup.

I think 3-4 would be stronger than 4-3 with the current personnel if Caldwell finds a true 3-4 OLB to pair with Allen. Caldwell must draft LSU's Chaisson or somehow retain Yannick to make it work.   

Smoot/A. Jones // Woods/rookie // Bryan/Gunter would be a solid yet unspectacular inside grouping. Woods is a true nose, but he must be rotated because he's 33. I think a true nose candidate will be drafted in the mid rounds.  

Jack, Schobert, and Williams would all be excellent run and hit ILBs. That would be the strength of the defense.
(04-16-2020, 11:46 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2020, 11:33 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Lol .... even SEC coaches would cringe over this lineup.

I think 3-4 would be stronger than 4-3 with the current personnel if Caldwell finds a true 3-4 OLB to pair with Allen. Caldwell must draft LSU's Chaisson or somehow retain Yannick to make it work.   

Smoot/A. Jones // Woods/rookie // Bryan/Gunter would be a solid yet unspectacular inside grouping. Woods is a true nose, but he must be rotated because he's 33. I think a true nose candidate will be drafted in the mid rounds.  

Jack, Schobert, and Williams would all be excellent run and hit ILBs. That would be the strength of the defense.

I would say you’d be looking at:

DE - Bryan/Jones
NT - Woods
DE - Gunter
OLB - Allen, McCray
MLB - Schobert, Jacobs
MLB - Jack, Williams
OLB - Smoot/Marsh

Smoot is too light to play 34 end. He would definitely be an OLB.

Williams Jack Scho Allen
Smoot Woods Bryan

?

Yan over Williams
I wouldn't expect major change.
They already showed a fair amount of this last year. I'd imagine just more of what we've already seen in obvious pass downs.
So the Jags actually ran alot more of it than numbers siggest, Yann likes to play with his hand and sometimes he fakes like he is putting it in the ground and sometimes he actually puts it there on accident......thus making it a 4-3
(04-16-2020, 12:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

Williams Jack Scho Allen
Smoot Woods Bryan

?

Yan over Williams

Yeah, kinda a whiff on my part but I guess I've relegated myself to thinking he won't be here.
And to think, a few years ago we would have had an all-star 3-4 lineup there .....

Campbell, Darius, Malik Jackson
Telvin, Jack, Poz, Yan
I don't think it matters how they line up.... Derrick Henry is still running. Even the offseason hasn't stopped him
(04-16-2020, 01:05 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]And to think, a few years ago we would have had an all-star 3-4 lineup there .....

Campbell, Darius, Malik Jackson
Telvin, Jack, Poz, Yan

That lineup was better served as a 4-3. You are wasting Campbell, Malik, and Dareus’ talents in a 34 front. Telvin would be a terrible OLB in a 34. 

Keep seeing people listing WLB as OLB in a 34. You want your 34 end to be an edge rusher who is pushing 250+ lbs.
Bryan-Jones-Gunter
Yann/Mccray-Jack-Schobert-Allen
LMAO at people who think Smoot can be a 3-4 DE.

Great! this means will be hot garbage again. They can't even dominate the 4-3 and now they are trying 3-4 too with Wash as the DC haha
Doesn't a 3-4 scheme mean more zone coverage? Does that change the skill sets they would target for CB's in this draft from the prototypical seattle prototype?
If Wash cant even get his players to be disciplined enough to play their responsibility in one look, then I have no faith in him to effectively add different looks to his scheme.

Stick to what you know and add a wrinkle here and there.
If people don't think we can switch to a 3-4(not a drastic change) then they shouldn't have Isiah Simmons on their board
If they end up going more full tilt in the 3 - 4 scheme in 2020 it's just another head scratcher for me. Wade Phillips still is or at least was on the market and that's his bread and butter. Marrone keeping Wash just doesn't make any sense to me.
Pages: 1 2 3