Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: ***Official Rounds 2-3 Draft Thread***
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
With the first round coming to an end, I'm looking forward to the selections in rounds 2-3 with a good amount of talented players still left on the board.

I think that there is very good value in the following positions: WR, OT, OG, DT, S.

Give me Higgins/Mims at WR, Jones at OT or one of the OG's, or Delpit/Winfield at S and I will be pretty excited. Minshew and the offense do need some additions but I think if we can get Delpit/Winfield and potentially move back up and make another selection would turn out good.

Who are you guys/gals looking forward to while we wait until day 2 of the NFL draft begins?
I think we go DT and Saftey tomorrow

Blacklock and Winfield would be my targets
(04-24-2020, 01:40 AM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]I think we go DT and Saftey tomorrow

You can’t trust anything a GM says this time of year, but Caldwell did say tonight that he was more than happy with what we currently have on offense. SoI could see the above being true.

But my personal preferences would be Shenault at 42 and Ashtyn Davis tomorrow.
Caldwell seems to place extra emphasis on 2nd RD WRs. I’m sure that will be discussed heavily the next 24 hours. If one of the big 3 safeties are sitting there you’d just have to consider it no?

All defense?  From a pure needs perspective, I could understand that.

But RB, WR, and OL needs loom large.

(04-24-2020, 02:00 AM)TheSchmidt Wrote: [ -> ]

You can’t trust anything a GM says this time of year, but Caldwell did say tonight that he was more than happy with what we currently have on offense. SoI could see the above being true.

But my personal preferences would be Shenault at 42 and Ashtyn Davis tomorrow.

I would like both of those guys tomorrow.

Actually lots of guys I'd like.
After disappointment for how it went last night (strategy wise, I'm not knocking the players we drafted)there's lots of good talent on the board left. A lot.

Even on the defense the top safeties are there, there are CBs that have really good value on day 2 like Jaylon Johnson, Fulton,Hall, Troy Pride Jr, Amik Robertson (slot), Robinson and others. There are DL like Blacklock who is great value from now on, Gallimore, Davon Hamilton, Davidson, OL like Cushenberry, Josh Jones, Jonah Jackson, Lucas Niang, Matt Peart, Prince Tega Wanogho, Matt Hennessy, Damien Lewis, Robert Hunt, Muti, Lemieux and others.  I really like Kmet among TEs, I think he'll be a really good pro.
There are tons of WRs (I love Mims potential, could be a better ARob), there are intriguing LB, edge and OLB options (with a possible move towards more of a 3-4 at this point OLB that start to fall could be valuable in our scheme too). There are very good RBs

My main concern is that last night we had a chance to select premium OL/WR talent and they were possibly BAP too. I'm not against the players we drafted, I think both are good players that can be really really good in this league. 
But to me it was really important to give help to Minshew.

Now the "risk" is that while we still have the chance to give him help, with all the defensive talent on the board a defensive player will still be the BAP available and would also fill a need. But how long can we keep going defense and not adding to the offense?

If Delpit/Winfield are there at 42 can we blame them for taking Delpit over offense? We have a backup/rotational starter in Wilson and behind him and Harrison we have zero depth there.

There are CBs like the ones mentioned above that in other classes would have probably been first rounders: could we be too mad if we doubled down taking one of them instead of offense? (I think Herndon can develop as a nice CB2 but even so...DJ Hayden is on the final year of the contract and we may be looking at Herndon to take over in the slot...and well you can never have too many good CBs).
Same thing with DTs...

Had we helped at least the offensive line last night I would be less conflicted on what to do tonight. I don't want to wait till day 3 to give help to the OL but at the same time It sucks a bit to miss out on a top safety or a great value defensive player in the third because we haven't addressed offense at all before. 

Either way I hope that we finally get more aggressive with all the picks we have. Move back into the second round with our third rounder (should cost one of our extra 4th and maybe a sixth eventually) and consider doing the same thing into the third round if someone is really sliding. We aren't drafting 12 players anyway and we have 120M in cap space next year, be aggressive now if the guys we like are there. 

I'm crossing my fingers we find real quality talent to upgrade at least RG today to make up for the disappointment of not upgrading OL last night and I admit I'm equally intrigued at the idea of adding talent to our secondary as conflictual as it may sound with the "let's help the offense" reasoning I just mentioned.

My worst nightmare is a RB (though there are few I like) before day 3 at this point...there are too many holes to fill to take one.
Second round: Josh Jones has to be at the top of my list. We've got to do something about the OL. I also wouldn't complain about drafting a safety if the right guy is there, or doubling down on another corner. I also think that the Jaguars will make this the trade-up round, first by packaging something with their first pick to move up and get a player they like that's falling. That's a time-honored Caldwell move: jump up a few spots in round two to get a guy you didn't think belongs outside of round one. I could also see the Jags trading back up into the tail end of round two if the right player (receiver) is there? DT would be nice, but really after Blacklock they start to all become undersized tweener prospects, not a Dareus replacement.

Third round: Have we drafted an OL yet? No? Well, let's do so. Now. Oh, wait, we have? I bet there's a defensive tackle out there, or maybe a TE. I could also see the Jaguars going QB in this round if they want insurance at the position.
hope we grab Tee Higgins.

Trevor Lawrence will be happy with it next year
I think we're going to draft a RB today. I see a real need there, because I don't think Fournette is going to be on the team much longer. They will trade him or cut him.

I think we will also draft a WR today.
I"m hoping for OL, WR, and either S or RB.
I think Caldwell looks to package his 3rd and some 4th's to get back inside RD2 tonight. I think he's going WR and S. I would look at Delpit, Winfield and Chinn at S. And at WR it's Higgins, Mims, Pittman and Shenault.

Dark horse picks. Adam Trautman at TE. Cam Akers at RB.
OMG. If he takes a TE in round 2.....
So we got a CB to replace Ramsey, then we got a DE to replace Ngakoue, see a theme there? Who else is leaving the team? Fournette. So we will draft a RB tonight, maybe right off the bat.

They're replacing the malcontents.
After listening to Dave conference in which he said that if CJ Henderson wasn't there at 9 they were considering Chaisson at 9 or a receiver I'm starting to really believe that they don't think the OL needs to be upgraded.
Would be a massive mistake and I hope i'm wrong cause I'd really want one of the top remaining OL (at this point even interior OL would be good, I want a new RG) but I'm not keeping hopes up on that front.

I now expect us going with a combination of best available defensive player and WR, I would be surprised to see anything else (not taking into account possible trades that could give us more than 2 picks today).

(04-24-2020, 07:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]OMG. If he takes a TE in round 2.....

I really like Kmet but if we go RB or TE with all the talent available and the holes we have....livid again lol
Caldwell going to keep assembling a 3-4 Def and go Winfield/Delpit and then grab Blacklock/Hamilton.
(04-24-2020, 07:50 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]OMG. If he takes a TE in round 2.....

That's why Trautman and Akers are dark horse picks for me. I think historically he tends to go WR here in RD2. And he tends to trade more in this round. I wouldn't mind Josh Jones at OT and Denzel Mims at WR if he manages to trade up to get either guy.
(04-24-2020, 08:07 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: [ -> ]Caldwell going to keep assembling a 3-4 Def and go Winfield/Delpit and then grab Blacklock/Hamilton.
Sweet. So we lose every game 24-6.
(04-24-2020, 08:09 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2020, 08:07 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: [ -> ]Caldwell going to keep assembling a 3-4 Def and go Winfield/Delpit and then grab Blacklock/Hamilton.
Sweet. So we lose every game 24-6.

Not saying that's what I would do but Caldwell is going to pick who he sees as the top guy regardless of position...or as someone else pointed out he will grab a RB because the pattern is replace the malcontents.

I don't think anyone could honestly be mad if 42 is Winfield/Delpit/Blacklock.  All 3 were mocked as 1st round picks near the start of the draft.

I could see him holding out until the 3rd and jumping back in with 2 of the 4ths.

Overall I think we make 3 picks tonight.
Hopefully we keep going defense. I wouldn’t want the team to actually score any points next year.
I think last night picks aren’t the most glam but think they were smart moves. Although i think we have big needs at DT and OL.

I think S and WR are the most likely. I also think we could trade back into the 3rd with a couple of 4th round picks. In that case then we will go DT or OL I suspect.

I think a Fournette trade could also be likely (I hope so) and then we do a replacement pick for him.

How would people feel if we traded Yan for a second this year and other picks such as a 3rd or couple 4ths? I only say this as it may allow us to use those extra picks to move up and if all the above happens then we could have 4/5 picks in 2nd/3rd rounds. There’s a lot of good talent we could pick up with that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30