Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How is this gonna work? (#27#91)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We tried trading malcontent DE Yannick Ngakoue with no takers. He is adamant that he wants out, but we weren't gonna trade him without the right compensation. One of two things are gonna happen. He's either gonna sit out as long as he can and come back, faking an injury or he's gonna come back and be a locker room cancer. Neither are ideal situations for a team needing to move on from the situation. Anyone who thinks he's gonna come back with his tail between his legs and the locker room will be all harmonious, is out of their minds. The same can be said of Leonard Fournette. He's basically been dissing our QB and taking shots here and there. We tried to trade him with no takers either. He knows we're not picking up his option and that we couldn't trade him. He's probably not gonna be too happy either and I can't see him "letting it go." We didn't draft his replacement, so I don't think we're gonna cut him either. How is this gonna work, having these two "whiners" back in the locker room? Is anyone else a little concerned that we may be headed for yet another Jalen Ramsey situation, only this time we're not gonna come out with any compensation? 

I was hoping it would be over after this weekend, but it looks like it just may be the beginning. This could be a very long season. I'm still holding out hope that we can trade Ngakoue for a 2021 pick, but that looks bleak. As for Fournette, with no real replacement, we have no choice, but to roll with him in 2020.
I don't think it's truly a certainty he doesn't just play out the tag and keep his mouth shut. Easy to talk about holding out, harder to actually pass up the $1 million paycheck each week to "prove a point". He's made this painful enough I think we'd trade him or offer him a ton of money if he came back and played like normal
Let 'em whine. Hopefully the high-character guys we added will just tune it out. And maybe the 2 malcontents will decide to strap it up and play hard for their teammates as well as their next contract.
(04-25-2020, 07:52 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it's truly a certainty he doesn't just play out the tag and keep his mouth shut. Easy to talk about holding out, harder to actually pass up the $1 million paycheck each week to "prove a point". He's made this painful enough I think we'd trade him or offer him a ton of money if he came back and played like normal

+1
It's funny because I don't think Leonard is particularly a malcontent, just not really a team first guy. He's really amazing with the fans and a great character for the media
Yan is definitely not getting more than what we offered him here in Jacksonville anywhere else - and his bruised ego won't allow him to set aside these past differences to play and be productive for our team.
(04-25-2020, 07:52 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it's truly a certainty he doesn't just play out the tag and keep his mouth shut. Easy to talk about holding out, harder to actually pass up the $1 million paycheck each week to "prove a point". He's made this painful enough I think we'd trade him or offer him a ton of money if he came back and played like normal

There are people out there who aren't motivated by money though. I'm one of them. If he truly hates being here, I could see him holding out or coming back and causing problems. I've left higher paying jobs, because I wasn't happy. I really do think we could offer this guy the richest DE contract in the NFL and he'd still turn it down, because he wants out.
If I'm Shad, and Yannick chooses to sit out, I am cool with it. His money, his choice. If he chooses to fake an injury, I'm low key going to the owners with it. Second year in a row with someone obviously faking an injury to receive pay without play? No thanks. Must be some kind of punishment, even if it's just a tacit agreement among owners that they won't pay him big dollars at the end of the year.
(04-25-2020, 07:53 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]Let 'em whine.  Hopefully the high-character guys we added will just tune it out.  And maybe the 2 malcontents will decide to strap it up and play hard for their teammates as well as their next contract.

I find this HIGHLY unlikely. Bad attitudes spread like virus'.
(04-25-2020, 07:58 PM)Last42min Wrote: [ -> ]If I'm Shad, and Yannick chooses to sit out, I am cool with it. His money, his choice. If he chooses to fake an injury, I'm low key going to the owners with it. Second year in a row with someone obviously faking an injury to receive pay without play? No thanks. Must be some kind of punishment, even if it's just a tacit agreement among owners that they won't pay him big dollars at the end of the year.

That sort of thing has to be negotiated in the new CBA with the NFLPA.
I say cut Gumbo....and take our chances, not like we’re expecting a winning season. Fournette is nothing special.
the fournette trade discussions were a shot across the bow for him going to the national media and campaigning for Newton. The self proclaimed "Tim Duncan of Duval" was given a clear message that he doesn't get to dictate things, or even suggest things and that if you want to replace another player, that you're replaceable yourself.

Yann is going to hold out and come back as late as possible to still accrue a season, let him. And at the end of the season tag him again. Don't let him whine his way out of Duval to get what he wants; set the precedent that throwing a tantrum will get you no where.
(04-25-2020, 07:49 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]We tried trading malcontent DE Yannick Ngakoue with no takers. He is adamant that he wants out, but we weren't gonna trade him without the right compensation. One of two things are gonna happen. He's either gonna sit out as long as he can and come back, faking an injury or he's gonna come back and be a locker room cancer. Neither are ideal situations for a team needing to move on from the situation. Anyone who thinks he's gonna come back with his tail between his legs and the locker room will be all harmonious, is out of their minds. The same can be said of Leonard Fournette. He's basically been dissing our QB and taking shots here and there. We tried to trade him with no takers either. He knows we're not picking up his option and that we couldn't trade him. He's probably not gonna be too happy either and I can't see him "letting it go." We didn't draft his replacement, so I don't think we're gonna cut him either. How is this gonna work, having these two "whiners" back in the locker room? Is anyone else a little concerned that we may be headed for yet another Jalen Ramsey situation, only this time we're not gonna come out with any compensation? 

I was hoping it would be over after this weekend, but it looks like it just may be the beginning. This could be a very long season. I'm still holding out hope that we can trade Ngakoue for a 2021 pick, but that looks bleak. As for Fournette, with no real replacement, we have no choice, but to roll with him in 2020.

I think they'll cut Fournette before they let him back in the locker room.  I don't know about Ngouke.  At this point, I'd trade Ngouke for a ham sandwich.
(04-25-2020, 07:58 PM)Last42min Wrote: [ -> ]If I'm Shad, and Yannick chooses to sit out, I am cool with it. His money, his choice. If he chooses to fake an injury, I'm low key going to the owners with it. Second year in a row with someone obviously faking an injury to receive pay without play? No thanks. Must be some kind of punishment, even if it's just a tacit agreement among owners that they won't pay him big dollars at the end of the year.

Tacit agreements leave the owners liable to lawsuits. That seems to be what happened with Colin.
The only way to get the league to do anything on this issue is to get it into the collective bargaining agreement.
And anyhow, unless a lot of other teams are having these kind of problems with their players, none of the other owners are going to feel like they owe Shad or the franchise anything.
Let Yannick sit. Don't care at this point. Only hurts his stock, his image and his teammates.

Leomard isn't in a contract dispute. Until they find a viable replacement he should continue to play. If he plays with less tenacity it'll just hurt his stock, his image and his teammates.

Yannick is not worth what he and his agent thinks. The compensation wasn't enough from what was reported. It's a shame this team has had to essentially invest and take risks on selections like Quincy Williams, C.J Henderson and K'Lavon Chaisson due to dick measuring contests between Coughlin and ego's from "Me" first players like Telvin, Jalen and Yannick. 

As frustrated as I was with them passing on Wirfs and Jefferson on opening night the reality is that we had no choice but to back fill on defense because of last year's mess. It's a viscious cycle. Talented players let the team down. Management let the team down.

We're essentially behind another year or two because we have to make up for a colossal error that should have and could have been avoided with better people in power and in control of that team.
(04-25-2020, 08:29 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Let Yannick sit. Don't care at this point. Only hurts his stock, his image and his teammates.

Leomard isn't in a contract dispute. Until they find a viable replacement he should continue to play. If he plays with less tenacity it'll just hurt his stock, his image and his teammates.

Yannick is not worth what he and his agent thinks. The compensation wasn't enough from what was reported. It's a shame this team has had to essentially invest and take risks on selections like Quincy Williams, C.J Henderson and K'Lavon Chaisson due to dick measuring contests between Coughlin and ego's from "Me" first players like Telvin, Jalen and Yannick. 

As frustrated as I was with them passing on Wirfs and Jefferson on opening night the reality is that we had no choice but to back fill on defense because of last year's mess. It's a viscious cycle. Talented players let the team down. Management let the team down.

We're essentially behind another year or two because we have to make up for a colossal error that should have and could have been avoided with better people in power and in control of that team.

1000000% agree with your take here Caldrac and this is what I was trying to explain earlier.

Glad you were able to see why the draft shaped out the way it did. It's an unfortunate circumstance due to the major standoff between Coughlin and those players but I think we got the best players we could to address the major deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball.

Ideally, we would have liked to just grab the big nasties up front to help Minshew out early on but I feel like we weren't in a position to do so with the glaring and numerous holes on defense. Plus, there was no way we could address everything we needed in a single draft.
Fournette most likely gets cut...saves 4 M and while he put up stats I think the impact of his departure won't be as big for on the field results.

Yan has basically started a pissing match with his twitter outburst. I think just like Ramsey...Khan/Caldwell will hold onto him until they get good compensation.

I'm not familiar with the new CBA but thought it basically punishes tagged players for sitting out and I'm pretty certain that if he doesn't show up he doesn't accrue a year and we do this whole thing again next year.

If Yan really wants to leave, he is going to have to take a nice paycut for the team he is traded to like 13M per year. He has hurt his stock/value tremendously.
(04-25-2020, 08:44 PM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: [ -> ]Fournette most likely gets cut...saves 4 M and while he put up stats I think the impact of his departure won't be as big for on the field results.

Yan has basically started a pissing match with his twitter outburst.  I think just like Ramsey...Khan/Caldwell will hold onto him until they get good compensation.

I'm not familiar with the new CBA but thought it basically punishes tagged players for sitting out and I'm pretty certain that if he doesn't show up he doesn't accrue a year and we do this whole thing again next year.

If Yan really wants to leave, he is going to have to take a nice paycut for the team he is traded to like 13M per year.  He has hurt his stock/value tremendously.

The problem is that he will acquire a phantom injury like Ramsey so he can continue to get his paycheck and accrue his year.
If good compensation never comes to the table, play them.

I don't buy too much into the locker room cancer angle. There are players to take their place in the starting lineup. They either play or get left behind and it doesn't have to be some doom and gloom scenario where these two turn a host of young players against the Jags staff and F.O.

It's not like this is the first time a player trade didn't work out and an athlete played another season in his original location. Doesn't have to be a big deal, people.
(04-25-2020, 07:57 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I've left higher paying jobs, because I wasn't happy. I really do think we could offer this guy the richest DE contract in the NFL and he'd still turn it down, because he wants out.

Ever left a job that paid you an extra 16 million bucks?  I think if that employer had paid you 17 million for an honest effort in the 25th year of your life, after firing your micromanaging boss,  you'd suck it up for a year and move on.

I'm not Yannick, but I know I would.

Draft's over, but there's still time for Yannick.  As for Fornette, he's lobbied for Cam, done some light ribbing of the organization, and had a "whatever" attitude from time to time.  Hardly Diva activity.

Glad you started the thread, though.  I'm curious to see how the Jags treat the situation and interested in what some of the less whiny posters around here think about it.
Pages: 1 2 3