Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Secondary 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just beginning to get my head around these acquisitions.

One poster astutely noted that it seems Caldwell is going after the DB position with a shotgun and that certainly seems fair. 
With the exception of Henderson - it seems like he's collected some interesting rolls of the dice value-wise and will attempt to (hopefully) allow some hidden-gem talent to rise to the top.

One interesting note however, there does seem to be an emphasis on finding a cheap heir apparent at nickel and also a bit of a hunt for a poor man's Tyrann Mathieu type.  Lots of guys with "big nickel" traits and a few undersized guys with speed and ball-hawking traits. 

(Personally I thought the idea would be to find a clear cut rangey free safety, allow Herndon to be the heir apparent at nickel and seek to find him competition/ eventual replacement at #2 CB -  not how it went down)

This makes me wonder what long-term strategy they have as far as tweaking the back seven of this defense, if any.  
Are we going to see less single high safety?  
Will there be greater variation in the nickel and dime packages? 
Will we see some of these CB prospects get looks at FS? 
What are you guys anticipating?
I think so much of it depends on Herndon continuing his excellent play into next year and Harrison developing and taking another step forward. Not worried about Hayden or Henderson and FS should be a cut throat competition. Their job will be much easier if Yann plays and our pass rush is just out of this world
For the front 7 hear me out:
Clowney - Bryan/Gunter/Hamilton - Yann

Chaisson - Schobert - Jack - Allen

*fans self*
(04-26-2020, 11:42 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]I think so much of it depends on Herndon continuing his excellent play into next year and Harrison developing and taking another step forward. Not worried about Hayden or Henderson and FS should be a cut throat competition. Their job will be much easier if Yann plays and our pass rush is just out of this world
Who is competing at FS?
Two UDFA players?
We had a big hole at corner. Hopefully Henderson provides a nice piece of drywall to fill it. The rest of it is just spackle and paint to try and get us through injury or underperformance.

Edit: Of course you asked about Safety. I think they wanted to upgrade there, but it just wasn’t a dire need. I do like Reed and would have been fine drafting him late.
(04-26-2020, 11:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2020, 11:42 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]I think so much of it depends on Herndon continuing his excellent play into next year and Harrison developing and taking another step forward. Not worried about Hayden or Henderson and FS should be a cut throat competition. Their job will be much easier if Yann plays and our pass rush is just out of this world
Who is competing at FS?
Two UDFA players?

Wilson, Thomas, Reed, maybe Barqoo?
(04-26-2020, 11:51 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]For the front 7 hear me out:

*fans self*

You realize this is a thread about everyone on the defense that you DIDN’T list there, right?
(04-26-2020, 11:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2020, 11:51 AM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]For the front 7 hear me out:

*fans self*

You realize this is a thread about everyone on the defense that you DIDN’T list there, right?

I know, I just saw a thing about Clowney FA news and couldn't help myself but dream
(04-26-2020, 11:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
Who is competing at FS?
Two UDFA players?
Reed is gonna battle Wilson for that FS spot
(04-26-2020, 11:56 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2020, 11:53 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Who is competing at FS?
Two UDFA players?
Reed is gonna battle Wilson for that FS spot

Seems like he will, but that was kind of my point. The FS battle is between two undrafted players and we took a box safety in the fifth? 

I wonder if that pick has anything to do with Harrison’s chumminess with Ramsey and that whole thing.
Maybe they want him on notice that they’ll move in if need be. Just spitballing... just seems an odd selection. Trying to see the strategy if there is any beyond just rating the player highly.
Henderson Herndon/Melvin
Scott/Hayden
Thomas/Wilson Harrison
Do people really think Thomas is a free safety candidate?
(04-26-2020, 12:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Do people really think Thomas is a free safety candidate?

I do. And it seems like we might end up having one of the fastest defensive backfield in the league. I bet the analytics.. Tony's analytics led them to draft some of these players. Some high tech spaceage algorithm that gets input fed into it and it spits out what defenses need to overcome these hybrid offenses teams are turning too. 

...idk. Maybe that's a bit farfetched, but yeah. I do
(04-26-2020, 12:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Do people really think Thomas is a free safety candidate?

I think he will probably play a little of both and STs.  But our depth was horrible at safety behind Wilson and Harrison.  I felt Wingard played ok but I think Thomas and Reed will easily make the roster as the 1st 2 safeties on the depth chart behind Wilson and Harrison which was much needed depth and one of our weakest position groups. I also think Reed will beat out Wilson before the season is over and possibly before the start of the season as I feel Reed can be one of the best safeties in this class just like he was in college football and in the best conference.
(04-26-2020, 12:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

I think he will probably play a little of both and STs.  But our depth was horrible at safety behind Wilson and Harrison.  I felt Wingard played ok but I think Thomas and Reed will easily make the roster as the 1st 2 safeties on the depth chart behind Wilson and Harrison which was much needed depth and one of our weakest position groups. I also think Reed will beat out Wilson before the season is over and possibly before the start of the season as I feel Reed can be one of the best safeties in this class just like he was in college football and in the best conference.

So Reed is def a FS? I gotta go watch some highlights of him. I wonder if Reed is related to Ed Reed.
(04-26-2020, 12:37 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2020, 12:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I think he will probably play a little of both and STs.  But our depth was horrible at safety behind Wilson and Harrison.  I felt Wingard played ok but I think Thomas and Reed will easily make the roster as the 1st 2 safeties on the depth chart behind Wilson and Harrison which was much needed depth and one of our weakest position groups. I also think Reed will beat out Wilson before the season is over and possibly before the start of the season as I feel Reed can be one of the best safeties in this class just like he was in college football and in the best conference.

So Reed is def a FS? I gotta go watch some highlights of him. I wonder if Reed is related to Ed Reed.

His dad is Jake Reed.
One thing that we learned with this draft, is that we want fast defense.

I was disappointed with Wilson last season. He was not bad, but average at best.
I guess that JR Reed and maybe Daniel Thomas (who is more of a SS) will compete for the job.

I'm not sold with Herndon, and D6 told us that Melvin doesn't really fit our scheme. Too bad it didn't works with Dennard, he is a good player with experience.

I guess right now our starters are Henderson/Herndon/Hayden. My only fear with our CBs, is that we are small. Outside of Henderson (6'1) and Melvin (6'2), everybody is 5'10/5'11.
(04-26-2020, 12:38 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2020, 12:37 PM)fredalwaysajag Wrote: [ -> ]So Reed is def a FS? I gotta go watch some highlights of him. I wonder if Reed is related to Ed Reed.

His dad is Jake Reed.

Oh ok, no doubt
I think we will actually be a halfway good defense next year.
Thomas is a box only guy to me
Pages: 1 2 3