Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What is the future of policing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What would police policy and criminal justice look like if BLM and progressives in government got what they wanted?
We have seen glimpses of it in San Francisco, where theft up to $950 is not considered worthy of police or prosecutor time.
So property crime is off the charts.  Car windows are broken to steal spare change or a phone charger.  The police just hang up if you try to report it.
The District Attorney in San Francisco will not prosecute the homeless, period.
No bail policies offer almost no deterrent to crime.  Back on the street in hours to enjoy the spoils.
We have seen police risk their lives and safety to arrest violent rioters, only to have them immediately set free by the DA.

Given all this, tell us about the reforms that are still needed. 
Police who are only allowed to pursue or arrest someone of their own race? 
No police at all?
BLM wants to patrol the black "opportunity zones" with their own Special Forces trained "Black Opts" officers.  So 2 sets of laws, or maybe different laws every few blocks.
ANTIFA wants to abolish all police, armed forces, business owners and private property - does that include Mom's basement?
You can't have property crime when there's no property.
The only way is to create segregation again. You can't police people with different laws based on race, that is racism.

Realistically it is going to end up being segregation based on values. It is out of control now and not going to stop because the young people with no experience think everything has been given to them based on the color of their skin. Hard work doesn't matter any more, you didn't earn anything, so why bother to try to raise yourself up if it only matters what the color of your skin is. I don't want it, but if it gets all the crazy liberals out of here, then so be it.
It's so much more of a conversation than policing procedures. It's about poverty, it's about opportunities, it's about prison and our 'lock em up' attitude, theres so many reasons as to what makes a person become 'a criminal'.

And theres plenty of white people who's crimes dont get followed up. Hell look at Epstein.
(06-04-2020, 05:10 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: [ -> ]It's so much more of a conversation than policing procedures. It's about poverty, it's about opportunities, it's about prison and our 'lock em up' attitude, theres so many reasons as to what makes a person become 'a criminal'.

And theres plenty of white people who's crimes dont get followed up. Hell look at Epstein.

He didn't kill himself.
(06-04-2020, 01:03 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]What would police policy and criminal justice look like if BLM and progressives in government got what they wanted?
We have seen glimpses of it in San Francisco, where theft up to $950 is not considered worthy of police or prosecutor time.
So property crime is off the charts.  Car windows are broken to steal spare change or a phone charger.  The police just hang up if you try to report it.
No bail policies offer almost no deterrent to crime.  Back on the street in hours to enjoy the spoils.
We have seen police risk their lives and safety to arrest violent rioters, only to have them immediately set free by the DA.

No police at all?
BLM wants to patrol the black "opportunity zones" with their own Special Forces trained "Black Opts" officers.  So 2 sets of laws, or maybe different laws every few blocks.
ANTIFA wants to abolish all police, armed forces, business owners and private property - does that include Mom's basement?

The whole bay area has a lot of economic difficulties.
If you don't work for a big tech company, and your family didn't own property there before 1980, good luck. It's becoming like feudal times out there, and elite liberals like Dianne feinstein and Nancy Pelosi can't see it. they know that they're on top of a pile but they have no idea how much misery and displacement the pile is made out of.

And the $950 thing is part of a sentencing reform package that California voters passed by referendum 5 years ago. California voters have always had an appetite for pie in the sky, and promises that don't make sense, and the threshold for a referendum is only 50%. I'm sure they were hoping to have fewer people saddled with felony convictions, make them more employable. The reduction in investigation and prosecution sounds like an unintended consequence.  

To answer your question, no. In fact I'd predict California passes another referendum walking some of this bad referendum back, probably one that lets your first non-violent conviction be a misdemeanor, but the second or third one becomes a felony.
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470d83170813edc71292...=giphy.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e470d83170813edc71292...=giphy.gif]
Now they are calling to de-fund the police. So you complain when it takes too long for police to get to your high crime area, what is going to happen now? At this point, just need to say people in these neighborhoods are on their own, police will not enter.

I can't see how anyone with a brain thinks this is a good idea. You think businesses, insurance, homeowners, etc are going to be fine with no police? I'm just ready to do it to shut them up and let them live in the filth they want to create.
(06-04-2020, 09:23 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]Now they are calling to de-fund the police. So you complain when it takes too long for police to get to your high crime area, what is going to happen now? At this point, just need to say people in these neighborhoods are on their own, police will not enter.

I can't see how anyone with a brain thinks this is a good idea. You think businesses, insurance, homeowners, etc are going to be fine with no police? I'm just ready to do it to shut them up and let them live in the filth they want to create.

LA mayor is going to cut police budget 10%.

These people are literally insane.
Minneapolis City Council wants to delete the Police Department and start over with the Nice Patrol:

“Several of us on the council are working on finding out what it would take to disband the Minneapolis Police Department and start fresh with a community-oriented, nonviolent public safety and outreach capacity,” he wrote.
Can you imagine what defunding the police would do to the poor communities democratic leadership pretends to care about?

Why would anybody still be a democrat?
Non-violent public safety will last right up until the bad guys get violent.
Anyone who hasn't done so, I recommend arming yourself and learning how to shoot if you don't already know how. If this hasn't been a wake-up call, I don't know what else to tell ya.
(06-04-2020, 06:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2020, 01:03 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]What would police policy and criminal justice look like if BLM and progressives in government got what they wanted?

No police at all?

The whole bay area has a lot of economic difficulties.
If you don't work for a big tech company, and your family didn't own property there before 1980, good luck. It's becoming like feudal times out there, and elite liberals like Dianne feinstein and Nancy Pelosi can't see it. they know that they're on top of a pile but they have no idea how much misery and displacement the pile is made out of.

And the $950 thing is part of a sentencing reform package that California voters passed by referendum 5 years ago. California voters have always had an appetite for pie in the sky, and promises that don't make sense, and the threshold for a referendum is only 50%. I'm sure they were hoping to have fewer people saddled with felony convictions, make them more employable. The reduction in investigation and prosecution sounds like an unintended consequence.  

To answer your question, no. In fact I'd predict California passes another referendum walking some of this bad referendum back, probably one that lets your first non-violent conviction be a misdemeanor, but the second or third one becomes a felony.

The Bay Area was a nice place in the 80s. It seemed there was a nice balance of prosperity, affordability and sanity. 

I haven’t been there in many years, but what I hear, read and see on TV is not encouraging.
(06-05-2020, 09:57 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]Minneapolis City Council wants to delete the Police Department and start over with the Nice Patrol:

“Several of us on the council are working on finding out what it would take to disband the Minneapolis Police Department and start fresh with a community-oriented, nonviolent public safety and outreach capacity,” he wrote.

I fully support the ability of local government to experiment with policy. After a few months we will see exactly how well the Left can govern. Of course when it doesn't work out the story will be buried by the MSM.
(06-05-2020, 11:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2020, 06:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]The whole bay area has a lot of economic difficulties.

The Bay Area was a nice place in the 80s. It seemed there was a nice balance of prosperity, affordability and sanity. 

I haven’t been there in many years, but what I hear, read and see on TV is not encouraging.

The people who live there and owned property before 1980 are still fine. They are called the Squire class. Their lives are getting less convenient and more costly all the time, but for them it's still a nice place to live.  But usually we ask, "is it a nice place to live?" in the sense of "should I move there?" and the answer to that is no. Unless you have a job offer significantly over $200k per year, or at least half a million for a down payment, you should not consider moving to the bay area. You have a right to live in any of the 50 states, so pick somewhere else.

The Squires are vaguely aware that pretty much everything is less expensive and more convenient in the other 49 states.  Some of them justify it by pointing out how the weather is usually perfect, and yeah it usually is.  But they know the weather alone doesn't justify all the crap they put up with - how they could get a bigger house in a safer neighborhood with better schools with more backyard room for a dog for half the price pretty much anywhere else.  

So they console themselves by insisting, "I could never live in [FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, you name it] there are just so many racists and bumpkins there!". A cycle of radicalization and hate directed at the rest of the country, all for them to justify to themselves why they shouldn't move away.

How do I know this? My family, and my wife's family, both moved away from the bay area in the early 1980s. The people we left behind bring this stuff up a lot.
Policing will stay the same as long as they treat drugs the same way and keep hiring low IQ goons into the forces
(06-05-2020, 12:13 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2020, 11:06 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]The Bay Area was a nice place in the 80s. It seemed there was a nice balance of prosperity, affordability and sanity. 

The people who live there and owned property before 1980 are still fine. They are called the Squire class. Their lives are getting less convenient and more costly all the time, but for them it's still a nice place to live.  But usually we ask, "is it a nice place to live?" in the sense of "should I move there?" and the answer to that is no. Unless you have a job offer significantly over $200k per year, or at least half a million for a down payment, you should not consider moving to the bay area.  You have a right to live in any of the 50 states, so pick somewhere else.

The Squires are vaguely aware that pretty much everything is less expensive and more convenient in the other 49 states.  Some of them justify it by pointing out how the weather is usually perfect, and yeah it usually is.  But they know the weather alone doesn't justify all the crap they put up with - how they could get a bigger house in a safer neighborhood with better schools with more backyard room for a dog for half the price pretty much anywhere else.  

So they console themselves by insisting, "I could never live in [FL, GA, SC, NC, TN, you name it] there are just so many racists and bumpkins there!". A cycle of radicalization and hate directed at the rest of the country, all for them to justify to themselves why they shouldn't move away.

How do I know this? My family, and my wife's family, both moved away from the bay area in the early 1980s. The people we left behind bring this stuff up a lot.

My sister-in-law’s parents owned a modest house which had a view of the bay that they bought in the 40s. They’re long gone now and I believe one of her brothers inherited the property. I can’t imagine what that little house is worth now.
(06-05-2020, 12:41 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Policing will stay the same as long as they treat drugs the same way and keep hiring low IQ goons into the forces

Stereotypes.

Besides, no one wants to pay them more for better qualified candidates, but they want better candidates.
Pages: 1 2 3