Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Phil Simms just said something interesting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Paraphrasing, he basically start off saying this game (Pats vs Texans) really shows you how important good coaching is. The game plan puts players in a position to succeed. He then said "If you have the talent and the coaching's there then you can be a star, but if you have the talent and the coachings not there you won't stand out".

Hmm.

Yeah it's amazing the Patriots are down to their 3rd string QB and still looking like a Super Bowl team.

Reminds me of Coughlin when we had Jim Miller, Mark Brunell, and Matthews.
It was not clear to me until tonight just how bad Gus really is. 

We're witnessing that statement come to fruition before our very own eyes, folks.
I was thinking this same thing...and with 2 rookies on their O-Line. Our HC and majority of the staff are simply atrocious.

Name a player on their D line if you can. They were harassing Osweiler all night.
Jabaal Sheard and Chris Long are pretty good.

Ninkovich is the only one I really know. Long is another washed uo player that BB is reclaiming.
Two related thoughts:

1.  Regarding the Patriots Defensive Line and probably their entire Defense,  the sum is greater than the parts.

2.  What was mentioned in this thread regarding the Patriots Defensive Line reminds me of the Dolphins ' No Name' Defense from back in the early 1970s.   The overall sum of that unit and the coaching that Don Shula and his staff provided the Dolphins is in essence what Bill Belichick and his staff have been providing the Patriots this century.  

Quote:Jabaal Sheard and Chris Long are pretty good.
If they went to another team they'd suck.
If Phil Simms ever actually says anything interesting, it would be thread worthy.

Hasn't happened yet.
Well I just wrote it in another thread but here is more appropriate: just watching at how Patriots defense plays makes me so sad about the Jaguars one.

They are always prepared, in position, know their assignments, play disciplined, creative blitzes and always there in coverage.

And they do it consistently, doesn't matter if like right now Ninkovich and Hightower are out. 

Revis wants to get paid and goes back to the Jets? Who cares, they plug in Butler.

Chandler Jones has character issues? Who cares, send him to Arizona and they find other ways to affect the QB. 

Here in Jacksonville the staff after 4 years is still just trying to line them up "correctly" or busy trying to give the 8448th chance to players like Gratz.

Can only imagine what Belichick could do with versatile and fast players like Jack, Fowler, Ramsey, Telvin and others on our roster. 

Quote:If Phil Simms ever actually says anything interesting, it would be thread worthy.

Hasn't happened yet.
Well considering coach Bradley is a running joke now in Jacksonville, and BB just wiped the floor with the best team in the AFCS with a 3rd string QB no less, it at the very least carries some merit. We have the worst coach with the possibility to be fired in modern NFL history. 
It's pretty obvious that's a true statement. That's why it's time to part ways with Gus Bradley. Think about all of the past head coaches that struggle but progressively make breakthroughs once they've added a year or two of talent through the draft or free agency. 

Bill Belichick did the same in Cleveland. First three years they flirt and dance around .500 with 6 - 10 and 7 - 9 finishes. Year four arrives and the Browns are 11 - 5 and going to the play-offs. Let that sink in for a minute. Since 1990 the Cleveland Browns have made it to the play-offs just twice. Once with Belichick and 1994 and one other time with Butch Davis in 2002. 

Pete Carroll in Seattle did the same in Seattle. He inherits a team in 2010 that had previously won just nine games over the last two years. He takes them to 7 - 9 in a poor NFC West division, in fairness, to the play-offs. He goes 7 - 9 again in 2011 and then since 2012 the Seahawks seems to finish with double digit wins every year no matter what. 

Bruce Arians in Arizona. Another stout and solid head coach. He comes in and inherits a that was 5 - 11 the year before with Kevin Kolb as his quarterback. He goes 10 - 6 his first year with an old Palmer as his QB. And he's been winning with double digit numbers ever since. 
Quote:Well I just wrote it in another thread but here is more appropriate: just watching at how Patriots defense plays makes me so sad about the Jaguars one.

They are always prepared, in position, know their assignments, play disciplined, creative blitzes and always there in coverage.

And they do it consistently, doesn't matter if like right now Ninkovich and Hightower are out. 

Revis wants to get paid and goes back to the Jets? Who cares, they plug in Butler.

Chandler Jones has character issues? Who cares, send him to Arizona and they find other ways to affect the QB. 

Here in Jacksonville the staff after 4 years is still just trying to line them up "correctly" or busy trying to give the 8448th chance to players like Gratz.

Can only imagine what Belichick could do with versatile and fast players like Jack, Fowler, Ramsey, Telvin and others on our roster. 

Belichick could take this current Jags team and beat the same team that NE fielded last night with Gus as HC. I have no doubt about that.

If you had just switched the 2 HCs last night I believe that Belichick would have taken the same Texans team and beaten that same NE team.

I saw a stat this morning that read that NE has beaten the AFCS 16 straight games now.

That's how good BB is as a HC.

Like him or not, he's a great coach, probably the greatest HC in this current era.

Just imagine if he had been able to beat the Giants in either one or both of those Super Bowls.................................................

Quote:Belichick could take this current Jags team and beat the same team that NE fielded last night with Gus as HC. I have no doubt about that.

If you had just switched the 2 HCs last night I believe that Belichick would have taken the same Texans and beaten that same NE team.

I saw a stat this morning that read that NE has beaten the AFCS 16 straight games now.

That's how good BB is as a HC.

Like him or not, he's a great coach, probably the greatest HC in this current era.

Just imagine if he had been able to beat the Giants in either one or both of those Super Bowls.................................................

And that's what I think makes Tom Coughlin even more special. I believe those two were on the same teams in the 80's with Parcells while he head upped the Giants. This fanbase knows now just how important a head coach is to a team's success. We should have never ever gave up on Tom. That's the hugest mistake and blunder that Wayne Weaver ever made. It makes me sick that our fanbase was so quick to turn on Tom after his INSANELY REMARKABLE start here in Jacksonville. Like I said, once you see that a coach is capable of getting it done. You leave him be. You let him do his job. The Steelers grit it and bared it for three years with Bill Cowher between 1998 - 2000 where they were struggling. They stuck it out and he turned it around. And when the Rooney's FINALLY found him a franchise QB he won them a Superbowl. This team gave up on Tom way too soon. They even gave up on Brunell maybe one year too early. People forget that Brunell was the 1st QB in five years to lead the Redskins back to a play-off game under Gibbs. 
Pats probably recorded Houston's walk through.  Or had someone lip reading in the stands.  Or bugged the locker room.

Quote:If they went to another team they'd suck.

False.
Sitting here in the jury deliberation room, there was an initial vote when we first sat down on whether to fire Gus. The vote was 11 yes, 1 undecided. The guy who is undecided said he's holding his vote until after the London game, but if the Jags lose to the Ravens, he'll vote yes.

He explained that if the Jags beat the Ravens and the Colts, then, due to the Texans' loss in New England, the Jags would be right in the hunt at 2-2.

I agree.
Quote:It's pretty obvious that's a true statement. That's why it's time to part ways with Gus Bradley. Think about all of the past head coaches that struggle but progressively make breakthroughs once they've added a year or two of talent through the draft or free agency. 

Bill Belichick did the same in Cleveland. First three years they flirt and dance around .500 with 6 - 10 and 7 - 9 finishes. Year four arrives and the Browns are 11 - 5 and going to the play-offs. Let that sink in for a minute. Since 1990 the Cleveland Browns have made it to the play-offs just twice. Once with Belichick and 1994 and one other time with Butch Davis in 2002. 

Pete Carroll in Seattle did the same in Seattle. He inherits a team in 2010 that had previously won just nine games over the last two years. He takes them to 7 - 9 in a poor NFC West division, in fairness, to the play-offs. He goes 7 - 9 again in 2011 and then since 2012 the Seahawks seems to finish with double digit wins every year no matter what. 

Bruce Arians in Arizona. Another stout and solid head coach. He comes in and inherits a that was 5 - 11 the year before with Kevin Kolb as his quarterback. He goes 10 - 6 his first year with an old Palmer as his QB. And he's been winning with double digit numbers ever since. 

Andy Reid in Kansas City.

Team was 2-14 and he goes 11-5 his first year. Double digit wins and playoffs since (one year at 9 wins) And that's with no passing game to speak of.

Pages: 1 2 3