Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: BLM to Destroy Andrew Jackson Monument in New Orleans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Black Lives Matter: We’ll Tear Down New Orleans’ Monuments Ourselves
"NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana – The ‘Take ‘Em Down Nola’ group, which has aligned itself with the Black Lives Matter movement, is now saying publicly they plan to tear down New Orleans’ most iconic monument in the city.

During a protest outside of New Orleans City Hall, a group of Take ‘Em Down Nola, which has made threats against the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) and Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s administration in the past, said police will have to step aside this weekend as they plan to physically tear down the equestrian Andrew Jackson monument in the French Quarter."

-------------------

How long before these revolutionary thugs force the city council of Jacksonville to change its name?

So sad that the government is letting these [BLEEP] get away with [BLEEP] like this.
Vandalism is not social progress.

Put a 50,000 volt fence around it and you have one helluva bug zapper.

BLM itself needs to be destroyed
Quote:BLM itself needs to be destroyed

Good luck with that.
Quote:Vandalism is not social progress.

Sadly it seems to be the way things are going.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/09/22/black-lives-matter-well-tear-new-orleans-monuments/'>Black Lives Matter: We’ll Tear Down New Orleans’ Monuments Ourselves</a>

"NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana – The ‘Take ‘Em Down Nola’ group, which has aligned itself with the Black Lives Matter movement, is now saying publicly they plan to tear down New Orleans’ most iconic monument in the city.

During a protest outside of New Orleans City Hall, a group of Take ‘Em Down Nola, which has made threats against the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) and Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s administration in the past, said police will have to step aside this weekend as they plan to physically tear down the equestrian Andrew Jackson monument in the French Quarter."

-------------------

How long before these revolutionary thugs force the city council of Jacksonville to change its name?

Welcome to Cowford, FL.
Just build a wall around it.  Problem solved.

That would be vandalism right?  Shouldn't the cops just be waiting there to arrest everybody?  Seems simple enough.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

-George Santayana
Can't say that I really blame BLM for wanting to remove the statue honoring Andrew Jackson.

"In addition to his legal and political career, Jackson prospered as <a class="" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planter_(American_South)' title="Planter (American South)">planter</a>, slave owner, and merchant. He built a home and the first general store in Gallatin, Tennessee, in 1803. The next year he acquired the Hermitage, a 640-acre (259 ha) plantation in Davidson County, near Nashville. He later added 360 acres (146 ha) to the plantation, which eventually grew to 1,050 acres (425 ha). The primary crop was cotton, grown by enslaved workers. Starting with nine slaves, he held as many as 44 by 1820 and later held up to 150 slaves, making him among the planter elite. Throughout his lifetime Jackson may have owned as many as 300 slaves"

"The Hermitage plantation was a profit-making enterprise and Jackson, demanding slave loyalty, permitted slaves to be whipped to increase productivity or if he believed his slaves' offenses were severe enough."

Yeah Hurricane I get that.  But you can't just go around destroying stuff that doesn't belong to you.

Quote:Yeah Hurricane I get that. But you can't just go around destroying stuff that doesn't belong to you.

Bingo
Quote:Yeah Hurricane I get that.  But you can't just go around destroying stuff that doesn't belong to you.

I Agree -- there is a process for addressing things like this.

Conversely, I'm still amazed that Muhammad Ali is such a beloved person in history given the fact that he evaded the draft.  
I enjoyed watching Muhammad Ali fight back in the day...but I never loved him.

We cannot continue to analyze history and assign today's moral values and ethics and advanced education to our  peoples ancestors. Hell, if that was the case most of everybody's ancestry is at fault. Slaves were sold to whites by their own chiefs in many case. It used to be common place for men to marry 12-13 year old girls. Were they all child molesters? Women were burned at the stake as witches. Were those folks all just bat crazy? Children worked on farms for their families, were they  raised by derelict  parents? Beliefs change with time. We cannot change the past.

Domestic terrorism is what this has become.

Asking the cops to step aside while you break the law and vandalize property? What?
Quote:Can't say that I really blame BLM for wanting to remove the statue honoring Andrew Jackson.

"In addition to his legal and political career, Jackson prospered as planterslave owner, and merchant. He built a home and the first general store in Gallatin, Tennessee, in 1803. The next year he acquired the Hermitage, a 640-acre (259 ha) plantation in Davidson County, near Nashville. He later added 360 acres (146 ha) to the plantation, which eventually grew to 1,050 acres (425 ha). The primary crop was cotton, grown by enslaved workers. Starting with nine slaves, he held as many as 44 by 1820 and later held up to 150 slaves, making him among the planter elite. Throughout his lifetime Jackson may have owned as many as 300 slaves"

"The Hermitage plantation was a profit-making enterprise and Jackson, demanding slave loyalty, permitted slaves to be whipped to increase productivity or if he believed his slaves' offenses were severe enough."

TJBender has your answer. Also, in Germany the concentration camps where unspeakable horrors were committed upon innocent people are all still standing. Why? Because they want future generations to know what happened and they be a tangible reminder of what should never, ever happen again. I visited Dachau when I lived over there and it's a somber place to be as well as a powerful sight to behold. When you drive by it the high walls are still there with the razor wire and you walk through the same gate with the sign reading, "Arbeit macht frei". Google present day images of it. It's been 15 years since I was there and I remember it as if were yesterday. And that's not the history of my country.

That is why destroying monuments of the past, changing names of cities, schools, etc., can be dangerous. People need to stop looking at flags, monuments and other historical stuff as symbols of oppression and hate (or even pride) and look at them as what should never be allowed to happen in this country again. 

Quote:"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

-George Santayana
Well said Americus.

Pages: 1 2 3