Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Got to give Marrone some credit!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This team lacks talent or too young in most key positions. Caldwell really put him in a bad spot. Yes he has made some questionable calls but this team remains competitive. 

Despite all of the above, this team is in most games. We are not getting blown out and this team has not given up. He did coach this team from one bad call away from the SB when he had the talent.
I’ve actually enjoyed watching us play over the last few weeks, some of our are playing their tails off.
As I stated in the game day thread, Vic Ketchman says this isn't a pushover team and I agree.
The best 1-10 team ever. Obviously you either win or lose. No bonus for playing well.
Some more credit for refusing to fire Wash too... And make dumb decisions pretty much every game.
I give no credit what so ever. Very raw team with questionable coaches. We have to get this right this time.
(12-06-2020, 03:38 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]This team lacks talent or too young in most key positions. Caldwell really put him in a bad spot. Yes he has made some questionable calls but this team remains competitive. 

Despite all of the above, this team is in most games. We are not getting blown out and this team has not given up. He did coach this team from one bad call away from the SB when he had the talent.

Have you queued up the ol 'Glennon might be the guy for us' thread. Lol, losing so long we just accept it. I actuallly agree that Marrone isn't terrible. But this season deserves a clean sweep. And I think we will get it.
I will only give Marrone credit for holding the world record in removing the red casing from bologna.
I'm tired of the moral victory argument.   We need a coach that can actually win on the scoreboard.  Marrone ain't it...
Marrone fatal mistake will always be keeping Wash. Keeping him was inexcusable especially seeing how the few changes that were made on defense after the bye improved the situation by a good margin even in spite of the low talent level we have and with so many injured players out. Wash had to go years ago. That's my main issue with Doug who on the other hand had the bad luck of having an atrocious amount of QBs here and in Buffalo. Hard to win when you don't have a reliable guy at the position.

Other than that it's nice to see that the locker room issues appear to be fixed, the penalties situation has improved noticeably, the team plays hard and gives it all and as the OP said despite the injuries, Wash and the lack of talent we've been in games more often than not. With a top 10-15 QB the record is very different (or do we really think the difference between us and let's say Houston is a 2 point conversion instead of trotting out Luton vs Watson? Or Luton vs. Rodgers?And on and on)

I respect Doug and I think that beside the horrendous Wash situation and some questionable decisions he had a ton of off the field stuff to deal with (the Coughlin situation was a disaster, his GM/VP of football operations screwing up every first round pick or so and having our good players walk way and so on).Anyway it will be a full reset at the end of the season, just hoping we get a good HC who isn't divisive inside the locker room. I value coordinators more than HC anyway so Wade Phillips should be the starting point for any conversation.
I give him credit for chasing all the good talent away and leading this team to so many losing seasons. its all this moron of a hc
In my last 13 years of working with guys many years younger, I realize today’s youth use words in context I’m not used to. So if this is the case, and if by “credit” you mean “pink slip” then I agree.

Seriously though, the team has been playing different. Why, how? Idk. It seems like a Marrone thing. But that ship has sailed. Too little too late if that’s the case
Our talent level is a bigger issue than coaching imo. It falls on Dave
I feel the opposite. I'm actually surprised how competitive this team is after releasing or losing many of our quality players. I think Dave could get talent. I think we'll regret firing Caldwell. I'd like to be wrong here.
I’ve heard that Snowwolf guy really thinks highly of Doug, wants to keep him around
(12-06-2020, 08:55 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]I feel the opposite. I'm actually surprised how competitive this team is after releasing or losing many of our quality players. I think Dave could get talent. I think we'll regret firing Caldwell. I'd like to be wrong here.

I’m kinda with you.  I liked Dave.  But then again, Gus was also a dude I wouldn’t mind having a beer with.  Let’s just win some games, but next year.
(12-06-2020, 08:55 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]I feel the opposite. I'm actually surprised how competitive this team is after releasing or losing many of our quality players. I think Dave could get talent. I think we'll regret firing Caldwell. I'd like to be wrong here.

Dave has the 2nd worst winning percentage amongst GM's with over 100 games, second only to Matt Millen.  

Yeah, keeping Dave around so he could ruin another draft would have been a wonderful idea.
(12-06-2020, 10:03 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: [ -> ]

Dave has the 2nd worst winning percentage amongst GM's with over 100 games, second only to Matt Millen.  

Yeah, keeping Dave around so he could ruin another draft would have been a wonderful idea.

Too many emotional opinions.

At the end of the day.. Dave had 8 years to get this ship right, and failed. I like him from an emotional perspective... but business is business. 

Marrone, is similar but had 1\2 the amount of time to do so... thats long, for a failure on the field in every year. 

Time to move on.
Dave Caldwell straight out stinks. He had almost a decade and failed.

I too believe that firing Caldwell was the incorrect move, he's one hell of a talent evaluator especially in the UDFA category. He built this team that was knocking on the SB door, in came Coughlin (control of player personnel) and down went Frazier for those of us that understands that phrase. The talent defected and or were traded, ie Coughlin.

Caldwell did a wonderful job of cleaning up the mess albeit jettisoning vets only to set up the next GM w/the best salary cap and one hell-of-a draft situation.

Nonetheless Caldwell was fired when the team was mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Khan's mind was made up. Mark my words, he will be missed.

Time will Tell.

NH3...
Pages: 1 2 3