Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Franchise A "Free Agent"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Common sense to most, highly disregarded here, Jaguars President confirms Jaguars have been a "free agent team" since Khan purchased.

https://twitter.com/mimendenhall/status/...6039195648
https://twitter.com/mimendenhall/status/...8614393863

How much longer will the team stay in Jacksonville if Khan's new project is denied?

#sweepsweep
They should've never torn down the iconic Jax Landing just to make room for Khan's pie in the sky downtown.
You could say it's common sense, but, Khan's people never admitted it until now.

The whole Lot J thing is just an excuse to get the city to write Khan a $200 million check.
[Image: gettyimages-1177511513-e1581006767433.jpg]
(12-09-2020, 06:10 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]You could say it's common sense, but, Khan's people never admitted it until now.

The whole Lot J thing is just an excuse to get the city to write Khan a $200 million check.

Yup. And if they do it without a clawback we are fools.
Those tweets make Khan’s people sound like absolute [BLEEP]
(12-10-2020, 12:57 AM)jaglyn Wrote: [ -> ]Those tweets make Khan’s people sound like absolute [BLEEP]

I think if it wasn’t for COVID he would be trying to move us or starting the process already. I mean he was trying to lock us into 2 games a year already back in feb. If this goes down like St. Louis we are about 2-3 years out right now. Khan doesn’t have a stadium in London tho so the comparison isn’t exactly the same since wembley fell through. Also I don’t think he would completely abandon the Jacksonville facilities, but I could be wrong. Could always just fly players to London like they fly them to Jacksonville. Maybe we are more like the Raiders or San Diego where it’s a long time coming and it just drags on.
I know Paul. He is a negotiator but also a strong advocate for Jacksonville.
(12-10-2020, 09:19 AM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]I know Paul. He is a negotiator but also a strong advocate for Jacksonville.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say there.  If he's being paid by the Jaguars, then basic business ethics say he should be a strong advocate for the Jaguars, not for Jacksonville.
Moving out of JAX is a cop out. London isn’t a realistic option yet, there’s plenty of money to be made in JAX if the team is worth a [BLEEP], fans will show up. Maybe Shad Con needs to focus more on hiring the right football guys instead of taking the easy way out. Don’t get me wrong, I respect the HELL out of Shad’s story and struggle.. he truly is the embodiment of the American dream. I just wish he made better moves in regards to the football side of things. Also, I believe Tony Khan should have no place in running or dictating the direction of this team. He was so quick to ride Coughlin’s coattails, only to throw him under the bus when things got choppy. That is indicative of somebody who’s a bad leader and not good for this team.
It's only a matter of time, he can "like" Jacksonville all he wants but that changes nothing. This team is on track to move, it sucks, but I've accepted it. What is after the 200 million? 4-5 years from now it will be - build me a stadium or else. Or, do as I say or else.
The NFL, really its collective owners, have become thieving gorillas. They make a ton of money, but never enough to their satisfaction. Unfortunately, they each are able to demand what they want (not need) from the cities, with the threat, implied or not, to leave, as cities can not fathom life without a team.
(12-10-2020, 10:49 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]The NFL, really its collective owners, have become thieving gorillas.  They make a ton of money, but never enough to their satisfaction.  Unfortunately, they each are able to demand what they want (not need) from the cities, with the threat, implied or not, to leave, as cities can not fathom life without a team.

Simply white collar extortion.  Time for khan to look back too where he came from and his commitment to Wayne Weaver.  In todays world no matter how rich you become enough is never enough. living in south Florida and a jaguar fan I had great respect for Khan but like most rich in this country he has forgotten where he came from and the allure of money has affected his good moral principles.  So I no longer believe staying in Jacksonville is the foundation of franchise that was the commitment to Weaver. The first salvo for moving the team has been fired and it is a very sad day for Jacksonville and its fans all over the country.
The Jags aren't leaving Jacksonville. Too many people remember how difficult it was to bring an NFL team to this city - it was a miracle, really. Lot J would be good for downtown's development, and the city should partner in it, but at reasonable terms. I believe those terms will be worked out. I can't fault the city council for asking for more time to read over the agreement. They'll ask for changes and there will be back and forth negotiations. It will get done.
(12-10-2020, 12:10 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags aren't leaving Jacksonville. Too many people remember how difficult it was to bring an NFL team to this city - it was a miracle, really.  Lot J would be good for downtown's development, and the city should partner in it, but at reasonable terms. I believe those terms will be worked out. I can't fault the city council for asking for more time to read over the agreement.  They'll ask for changes and there will be back and forth negotiations.  It will get done.
This is the first time the Jaguars have ever raised the possibility of moving the team. Wayne Weaver made it clear he would not sell the team unless the new owner agreed to keep the Jaguars in Jacksonville. That commitment by Khan has now been voided. I don't think lot J will result in the team moving, but when it comes time to replace the stadium that my be the straw that brakes the camels back. I just don't see how you can be so sure the Jaguars are not leaving Jacksonville sometime in the future after the threat of moving the team.
I personally would like a project like the Lot J development, or anything that improves downtown.

But don’t hold the people of Jax hostage and make subtle threats about the Jags moving, for just wanting another month to review the details lol. Jags fans in Jax have done nothing but support this 2-win team for the last decade of its mediocrity.
People need to face that facts that an NFL sucks money from city. It is always tilted in the NFL's favor. Oh and the citizens get higher taxes.
I'm still convinced that Khan sees a split between London and Jax on a 4/4 basis as his long-term goal. Builds the prestige of the franchise, makes more cash, raises his own cache with the league and he will argue that this will raise Jacksonville's status globally because of the bridge to London.
Man, I'm gonna miss the game day threads when we are losing and the negative threads created after we lose.

Goodbye Jaguars.
(12-10-2020, 12:27 PM)dennisp3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-10-2020, 12:10 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]The Jags aren't leaving Jacksonville. Too many people remember how difficult it was to bring an NFL team to this city - it was a miracle, really.  Lot J would be good for downtown's development, and the city should partner in it, but at reasonable terms. I believe those terms will be worked out. I can't fault the city council for asking for more time to read over the agreement.  They'll ask for changes and there will be back and forth negotiations.  It will get done.
This is the first time the Jaguars have ever raised the possibility of moving the team. Wayne Weaver made it clear he would not sell the team unless the new owner agreed to keep the Jaguars in Jacksonville. That commitment by Khan has now been voided. I don't think lot J will result in the team moving, but when it comes time to replace the stadium that my be the straw that brakes the camels back. I just don't see how you can be so sure the Jaguars are not leaving Jacksonville sometime in the future after the threat of moving the team.

I'm not sure what 'free agent' means, but the Jaguars do have a lease with the city of Jacksonville - and it's just as binding as a lease from any other NFL city. The city wouldn't have put money in the club seats, pools, scoreboard and an amphitheater if the Jags were a so-called 'free agent' team.

The stadium needs either a major upgrade or to be replaced. Any Jags fan who's been to the stadium in August or September understands why.
Pages: 1 2 3