Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Norwell on trading block?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Trying to get something cheaper I guess! He played well last year and in a year we are going to select TL I am not sure how good an idea this is. I don’t know what his value is but I doubt it’s more that a 4th?
(03-05-2021, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Jaguars’ OL Andrew Norwell, Giants’ OL Kevin Zeitler on the trade block? (msn.com)

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statu...72993?s=20

I would be oppo0sed to this move, if true.

Meyer said the OL was not a "blow it up" situation.  Considering Norwell was one of the best OL last year, I'm not sure why they would look to get rid of him.  If the team managed to get rid of him, the team would have to replace/upgrade minimally 3 players )Cam. Norwell, and Taykor and/or Cann.  That would turn the OL into a blow it up situation immediately.

The team has enough cap room to carry him.

We will need his ability and experience to help protect Trevor Lawrence. 

If the team is going to make a move like this, next year would be better.  The team would have less cap space (assuming free agent activity involving top tier free agents) while the rest of the league should have more.  TL will have a year under his belt, and would be better equipped to protect himself.
Per Spotrac, Norwell has 2 years left on his 5 year deal. In 2021, he has a $15m cap hit, comprised of $12m in salary and $3m in signing bonus amortization. If released or traded, the Jags would save $9m in cap, as there would be $6m of dead money (unamortized bonus money). In my opinion, Norwell is solid, but has not played up to a $15m cap hit dominating level. However, if the rumor is true, I wish they would do it next year, instead of now for continuity sake.
Bartch to LG?
Don't get this, if true. He seemed pretty solid last year. And as for cap implications, I don't get that either. We already have the most cap space in the league.
(03-05-2021, 12:35 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: [ -> ]Bartch to LG?

I hope not.

Not sure if he is ready, and pass protection was his problem.

(03-05-2021, 12:45 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get this, if true.  He seemed pretty solid last year.  And as for cap implications, I don't get that either.  We already have the most cap space in the league.

Exactly.

I wonder if they are targeting another big name player in free agency (Scherff?)
I hope to God this is some unsubstantiated rumor, because such a move might send me over the edge! Norwell was without question, our best and most consistent O-Lineman last season. It wasn't even close! We finally got the interior of the O-Line in good shape and now there are rumors we are trying to move our best player? This makes absolutely no sense! It's not like we need the cap space. We have more available money than any other team in the league. What would be the purpose of this? Unless they intend to replace him with Brandon Scherff, this would be an idiotic move. Even at that, I would shop/release Cann before I'd replace Norwell. Cann improved last season, but he still isn't consistently good. I've always liked Linder as well, but he has problems staying healthy and his backup at the position (Shatley) is an UFA. Getting rid of Norwell would only create problems at a position where we had none to start with. Ugh! My head is gonna explode!

[Image: Head-Exploding-GIF-Image-for-Whatsapp-an...ook-10.gif]

(03-05-2021, 11:43 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2021, 11:09 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Jaguars’ OL Andrew Norwell, Giants’ OL Kevin Zeitler on the trade block? (msn.com)

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statu...72993?s=20

I would be oppo0sed to this move, if true.

Meyer said the OL was not a "blow it up" situation.  Considering Norwell was one of the best OL last year, I'm not sure why they would look to get rid of him.  If the team managed to get rid of him, the team would have to replace/upgrade minimally 3 players )Cam. Norwell, and Taykor and/or Cann.  That would turn the OL into a blow it up situation immediately.

The team has enough cap room to carry him.

We will need his ability and experience to help protect Trevor Lawrence. 

If the team is going to make a move like this, next year would be better.  The team would have less cap space (assuming free agent activity involving top tier free agents) while the rest of the league should have more.  TL will have a year under his belt, and would be better equipped to protect himself.

Agreed. It makes no sense.
(03-05-2021, 12:12 PM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]Per Spotrac, Norwell has 2 years left on his 5 year deal.  In 2021, he has a $15m cap hit, comprised of $12m in salary and $3m in signing bonus amortization.  If released or traded, the Jags would save $9m in cap, as there would be $6m of dead money (unamortized bonus money).  In my opinion, Norwell is solid, but has not played up to a $15m cap hit dominating level.  However, if the rumor is true, I wish they would do it next year, instead of now for continuity sake.

The cap numbers shouldn't matter. We are set. We have tons of cap space. To get rid of your best O-Lineman in order to save money when it is not even close to being a necessity is asinine.

(03-05-2021, 12:35 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: [ -> ]Bartch to LG?

Not yet, let him earn it. You don't throw an unproven, first year OG into the starting role in a season where you have the #1 overall pick under Center. That is dumb! Especially when the guy your getting rid of is your best O-Lineman. I like Bartch and think he has a future as a starting OG, but not now.

(03-05-2021, 12:45 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]Don't get this, if true.  He seemed pretty solid last year.  And as for cap implications, I don't get that either.  We already have the most cap space in the league.

Exactly!

(03-05-2021, 12:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Exactly.

I wonder if they are targeting another big name player in free agency (Scherff?)

The only way this would be acceptable is if he was replaced by Scherff.
"I've been told Norwell is supposedly a, quote, "good player"".

*scoff*

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fa.espncdn.com%2Fphoto%2F...f=1&nofb=1]

"Heh, heh. I know boss, right?"

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]
Because the Jaguars have the most salary cap space in the NFL at present, they have the luxury of keeping Andrew Norwell until his expected replacement can be added.

As much as it would benefit Norwell to be released ASAP ( if he's indeed going to be released ), the Jaguars would be hurting their contract leverage with FA Guards if Norwell is released before his replacement is secured.
(03-05-2021, 01:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2021, 12:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly.

I wouldn't want to REPLACE him with Scherff.

My plan would be to ADD him to Scherff and Trent Williams.

I mean Scherff would be an upgrade over Norwell, but Norwell is too good for this team to simply give away like that.  Considering his task is to protect TL. he is too important to let go.
(03-05-2021, 01:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2021, 01:08 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]

I wouldn't want to REPLACE him with Scherff.

I mean Scherff would be an upgrade over Norwell, but Norwell is too good for this team to simply give away like that.  Considering his task is to protect TL. he is too important to let go.

I totally agree. I don't want to get rid of Norwell at all. I was just saying if the team was going to trade or release him, (which I have no power to stop,) the only free agent OG I would view as an upgrade, would be Scherff.
I've never been on the Norwell bandwagon because he didn't live up to the expectations that his contract, or past play, brought. He was absolutely horrid playing in his second season here, but nursing an injury as we later found out. But even after, he seemed just a little better than adequate (Minshew's honest opinion would be enlightening).

With that said, changing up the O line just prior to a generational QB prospect coming in doesn't seem ideal. Especially if they don't have a OG rock star waiting in the wings. At least keep things in stasis until an obvious improvement can be made.
(03-05-2021, 01:51 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2021, 01:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't want to REPLACE him with Scherff.

I totally agree. I don't want to get rid of Norwell at all. I was just saying if the team was going to trade or release him, (which I have no power to stop,) the only free agent OG I would view as an upgrade, would be Scherff.

Understood.

We are in lockstep agreement here.

Trading or cutting Norwell should not be a consideration for this team.
Just saw a blurb on NFLTraderumors that the Jaguars were reportedly interested in Packers' C Corey Linsey.

https://nfltraderumors.co/2021-free-agen...ton-floyd/

If true, combined with the rumored "expendability" of Norwell, I'm left to wonder if the plan is to move Linder to LG, or to get rid of him too?

Linsey is a good player, but I don't see many scenarios where getting rid of Norwell is a god thing.
It looks like the LA Chargers will be releasing G Trai Turner.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ai-turner/
(03-05-2021, 03:21 PM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like the LA Chargers will be releasing G Trai Turner.  

I am hearing there will be a glut of interior OL available due to the cap.

Turner would be a good get, but all things considered, I'd still rather keep Norwell.
(03-05-2021, 03:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Just saw a blurb on NFLTraderumors that the Jaguars were reportedly interested in Packers' C Corey Linsey.  

https://nfltraderumors.co/2021-free-agen...ton-floyd/

If true, combined with the rumored "expendability" of Norwell, I'm left to wonder if the plan is to move Linder to LG, or to get rid of him too?

Linsey is a good player, but I don't see many scenarios where getting rid of Norwell is a god thing.

Agreed. Linsley is one of the best Centers in the NFL, but moving Linder to LG is not ideal imo. If I remember correctly, Linder not quite as good an OG as he is a Center and he's only played a full 16 game schedule once in his career and that was in 2019. Last year he only played 9 games and he played 9 in 2018 as well. I love the guy, but he's not as reliable as we'd want. Luckily, Shatley has been a decent backup Center, but he is an UFA. On top of that, when Linder did play OG, he played RG not LG. That is an adjustment for some guys. 

This whole thing is confusing. I don't know what the team is thinking? Meyer said a little while ago that he didn't want to blow up the O-Line, but we have a LT that is an UFA and has been a massive disappointment, so he is likely gone. Now there is rumors we are trying to trade our starting LG and we are interested in a new Center? This kinda sounds like we are blowing up the O-Line.
(03-05-2021, 03:38 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-05-2021, 03:21 PM)D6 Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like the LA Chargers will be releasing G Trai Turner.  

I am hearing there will be a glut of interior OL available due to the cap.

Turner would be a good get, but all things considered, I'd still rather keep Norwell.

Me too. Remember when Norwell first came to the team from the Panthers? He was a mess. He was arguably our worst O-Lineman. Then he got a little better in 2019 and finally in 2020 he was very solid and started to show why we signed him to a big contract. I don't wanna start that all over with someone new. Sometimes you can bring a lot of good, new O-Linemen in and it doesn't work. Despite how they play on other teams, they just don't "gel" as a unit with their new team. Sometimes there is an adjustment period. Things were finally coming together on the interior. This thing is stressing me out!
Pages: 1 2 3 4