Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 20 of Bortles' 89 passes haven't crossed line of scrimmage and 40 (44.9 percent) haven't gone past 5 yard...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is according to Ryan O, obviously this doesn't come as surprise if you've watched the first two games. My question is, whats with all of the screens and short passes? This offenses strength is clearly the vertical passing game, why are we all of sudden turning into a "dink and dunk" type of offense? It's inexplicable and unexplainable, we finally established an "identity" on offense last year and now we're moving away from that identity, it's just confusing. I saw a Baltimore Ravens secondary get torched by Josh McCown and Corey Colmean last week, if the Jags don't come out firing multiple shots downfield against a sub-par Ravens secondary on Sunday I'm going to lose it.

Maybe we were too successful and the big boys were getting worried...?
They wanted him to improve his short to intermediate accuracy. Lol. Forget the fact that our team was successful attacking the intermediate to deep parts of the field last season. Play offense like that, of course we won't be able to run the ball.
So basically a 180 from last year.
Quote:They wanted him to improve his short to intermediate accuracy. Lol. Forget the fact that our team was successful attacking the intermediate to deep parts of the field last season. Play offense like that, of course we won't be able to run the ball.

Not only this, but Blake Bortles (because of his elongated release) isn't a guy that's going to be consistently effective in a pass games that's built around short passes and West Coast principles, he's better suited for a vertical game that mask the elongated release and takes advantage of his powerful arm. 
Did Fisch come back?

henne is mentoring blake
Quote:Not only this, but Blake Bortles (because of his elongated release) isn't a guy that's going to be consistently effective in a pass games that's built around short passes and West Coast principles, he's better suited for a vertical game that mask the elongated release and takes advantage of his powerful arm.

That and we don't have WRs/TEs that are strong in the short range passes. It doesn't play to the strengths of our QB or our WRs and TEs.
Quote:Did Fisch come back?

Haha this
Quote:That and we don't have WRs/TEs that are strong in the short range passes. It doesn't play to the strengths of our QB or our WRs and TEs.

Marqise Lee is on the only WR on this roster that strikes me as a "true" West Coast receiver, because of his quickness and run after the catch ability, maybe that's why he's been targeted so much the first two weeks.
Something is wrong this season, definitely wrong.

Why in the heck would they stop doing what was so successful last season???

Who's running this team, the whole team is regressing right before our very eyes, please somebody make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so we turned him into gabbert somehow

This gets back to lack of a running game. Long routes take time to develop. Time that must be earned though threat of a run game. Without it, it is ears pinned back rushes/blitzes constantly not allowing the time required.

If you take away our vertical attack, you shut down this offense. Our screens are predictable and far too slow to develop, and we have absolutely no run game. Furthermore, throwing short goes away from Bortles' strengths as a passer.

Unfortunately we don't have a line that can protect long enough to take the shots downfield that we need to. Yes we aired it out last year, but at the expense of Bortles being the most hit QB in the NFL since entering the league. Even as tough as he is, you can't keep that up forever with your most valuable asset.

We need to either get better up front, or someone much smarter than I am needs to figure out some brilliant schemes to extend his time to throw. The offense just isn't there for us so far.

I won't even go into defense.
Quote:Marqise Lee is on the only WR on this roster that strikes me as a "true" West Coast receiver, because of his quickness and run after the catch ability, maybe that's why he's been targeted so much the first two weeks.

Agreed but he's been unreliable.

I was more focusing on the top 3 in ARob, Hurns and JT.
The fault lies with the playcalling. Greg Olsen LOVES those ridiculous screens and bubbles, and will stick with them even after they've long proven to not work. If you chart Bortles short passes, the vast majority are designed to be short, with no real deeper threat.

Bortles is not the problem here. Bad line play and really terrible playcalling is.

Week 1, they call a screen to end the game on 4th down. In all honesty I been saying since that game, I don't think Gus knew it was 4th down the way he had that dopey look and hands on his knees like he was ready for the next play. Then to end the half in week 2 they throw another screen when they are like on the 45 yardish range with less than 10 seconds and no timeouts. I mind as well hop on some prop bet site and bet on bubble screen every play. It truly is mind blowing. 

Why throw it deep when you can throw it short?

Bridgewater'd

We are tanking. Haven't you realized that yet?
Pages: 1 2 3 4