Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Would you trade pick #45 for Julio Jones?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Story in ProFootballTalk

The Falcons want to unload him, apparently.
(04-26-2021, 12:00 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]Story in ProFootballTalk

Yes

Absolutely not.

He has been a great player in this league, and still may give you a good season or two, but he's 32 and is coming off a year with a bunch of injuries.  Neither is a good sign.

Give me the younger, cheaper guy who can give me (hopefully) 4 years of contributions.
(04-26-2021, 12:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Absolutely not.

He has been a great player in this league, and still may give you a good season or two, but he's 32 and is coming off a year with a bunch of injuries.  Neither is a good sign.

Give me the younger, cheaper guy who can give me (hopefully) 4 years of contributions.

^^^This ^^^

Absolutely not.

Highly agreed
No Way --- 32 years old and due $20 million in each of the next 3 seasons not to mention you'd need to give up a draft pick or 2.

Reminds me of the day when we brought in the 33 year old Tory Holt who was out of the NFL 1 year later.

Absolutely not.

For our second 2nd rounder? 

It would be one thing if we only had one second round or if we were talking the 25th or 33rd pick but for the 45th pick, I’d go for it.  If we got one or two seasons out of him that would be worth it in my mind.

We go Qb, Ot, and Te with first three picks then add Jones with 4th and our entire Offense will have completely revamped in two days.

I understand the health concerns but the chances of us hitting on all 4 of our first picks is remote at best. If Jones is healthy he is still top tier for at least another season or two.
No
(04-26-2021, 12:21 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]No Way --- 32 years old and due $20 million in each of the next 3 seasons not to mention you'd need to give up a draft pick or 2.

Reminds me of the day when we brought in the 33 year old Tory Holt who was out of the NFL 1 year later.
Where are you getting this 20 million a year from?

15 million in 2021.
11.5 the 2 after that.....

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/13...29445?s=20

No.

We just signed Jones and I rather give playing time to Chark, Schenault and even Johnson
personally, I am happy with our young wide receivers and Marvin Jones as a elder statesman. I understand Julio Jones is a complete unit, but don't need to trade for a guy at this point unless it makes TOTAL sense. SURE he is worth the position of a draft pick but this draft is deep as hell in WR and we also don't really have an immediate need.

Here is the situation from where I sit. We have a bunch of nice draft picks. We have an enviable cap position. We can solve other team's problems with those assets.  Atlanta has about 2-3 million in cap space, not enough to sign their draft class. They have a problem, an aging player that is very expensive and is having injury issues. Atlanta is shopping (trying to sell him) around looking for a sucker. I can't imagine our management being foolish enough to bite on this one. My guess is he will be much less costly after they release him if we really want him. EVERY team will be trying to get into our pocket as the draft draws closer. This is just an example...
(04-26-2021, 12:52 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2021, 12:21 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]No Way --- 32 years old and due $20 million in each of the next 3 seasons not to mention you'd need to give up a draft pick or 2.

Where are you getting this 20 million a year from?

15 million in 2021.

Salary +
$5 million per year deferred signing bonus
$2.75 million per year in options

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falc...ones-7721/
No. He's nearly done, with age and injuries. And, we signed Marvin Jones to serve as our short term vet for the group.
(04-26-2021, 01:24 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2021, 12:52 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Where are you getting this 20 million a year from?

15 million in 2021.

Salary +
$5 million per year deferred signing bonus
$2.75 million per year in options

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falc...ones-7721/
The signing bonus doesn't really matter as it doesn't effect the cap which is really what most people care most about.

I'm not saying I would do the deal but I certainly wouldn't be upset with getting a top 10 WR of all time to help Trevor out in his first few seasons.
(04-26-2021, 12:08 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes

Not only yes but HELL YES! I think he could have another few years left in the tank. Atlanta was a mess last year.
Not the #45 pick, but I would trade the #130 for him 100%. He is a specimen of an athlete & willing to go down the middle, If we can get TL some sure hands in the middle of the field and a red zone threat I would do it even if for 2 years.

"Despite only playing nine games due to injury, Jones still managed to finish 41st in receiving yards among 499 qualified players for the 2020 season, finishing the 2020 season with 51 receptions for 771 receiving yards and three touchdowns"

I would take that right now, if they want to take our #130 for him and get some cap relief. Julio might want to return after that 2020 season well rested and finish his career strong.

M.Jones
J.Jones
L. Shenault
D.Chark
C.Johnson
P. Dorsett
(04-26-2021, 12:22 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2021, 12:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely not.

For our second 2nd rounder? 

It would be one thing if we only had one second round or if we were talking the 25th or 33rd pick but for the 45th pick, I’d go for it.  If we got one or two seasons out of him that would be worth it in my mind.

We go Qb, Ot, and Te with first three picks then add Jones with 4th and our entire Offense will have completely revamped in two days.

I understand the health concerns but the chances of us hitting on all 4 of our first picks is remote at best. If Jones is healthy he is still top tier for at least another season or two.

We are not an aging wide receiver away from success and making the playoffs. We need strong picks to build a complete roster.  Why roll the dice on past performance?
I'd give a 4th.

The Falcs eat his bonus. He is due 15 this year (Fully guaranteed!!) and 11 next (2M guaranteed). So you're on the hook for at least 17, and word is that they are considering structuring the trade as effective post-June 1, so they can spread his cap hit over this season and next. So, instead of 45, it would be, say, next year's 2nd.

Either way, there's no way I make the deal. I'd rather spend 45 on a young receiver if we absolutely must have a WR.
Pages: 1 2 3