Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So are we sure Caldwell doesn't deserve criticism?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Yes Gus stinks as a head coach...but is Caldwell much better? He drafts a with his first ever pick and then is too stubborn to move on from him for the good of the team. Not only that but his entire 13 draft class is trash. Every single player from it. 14 is supposed to be his master class but whether we want to admit it or not Bortles still has not solidified himself as a franchise QB without question, or even proven himself as the best QB from that class period. His top 2nd round pick from that year is a complete bust. They thought Colvin was a 1st round talent and he is average at best. And then the next year he draftsbYeldon at the top of the second talking about he's a three down back and hay clearly isn't the case. Let's not even get into Fowler yet. And then 85% of his free agent signings turn out to be busts.

Are we really sure this guy is a good judge of talent? Over the last 4 drafts this team could have had Ezekiel Ansah, Khalil Mack, Derek Carr, and Leonard Williams/Amari Cooper if this guy really knew what he was doing, and had we taken some of those players earlier we might not have been in position to get Williams and Cooper in the first place. The team this guy has assembled l, after 4 years, looks soft in the trenches STILL. It didn't take Minnesota this long. Even the Raiders look significantly better than us at this point. And the sad part is is that a lot of us on this message board and twitter could have made better draft picks than Caldwell over the last 4 years.
Linder should've stayed at RG
In 2013 I wanted Ansah

In 2014 I wanted Mack in the first and then Garappolo in the second

In 2015 I wanted Cooper or Beasley

Minus Beasley, had we just followed that drafting pattern we'd be a lot better off right now. And I'm just a regular fan! How can i make better picks than a guy whose supposed to be one of the 32 best talent evaluators in the league?
Impossible for us to get Carr and Mack.  Carr was taken before our second round pick came around.

Quote:Yes Gus stinks as a head coach...but is Caldwell much better? He drafts a with his first ever pick and then is too stubborn to move on from him for the good of the team. Not only that but his entire 13 draft class is trash. Every single player from it. 14 is supposed to be his master class but whether we want to admit it or not Bortles still has not solidified himself as a franchise QB without question, or even proven himself as the best QB from that class period. His top 2nd round pick from that year is a complete bust. They thought Colvin was a 1st round talent and he is average at best. And then the next year he draftsbYeldon at the top of the second talking about he's a three down back and hay clearly isn't the case. Let's not even get into Fowler yet. And then 85% of his free agent signings turn out to be busts.

Are we really sure this guy is a good judge of talent? Over the last 4 drafts this team could have had Ezekiel Ansah, Khalil Mack, Derek Carr, and Leonard Williams/Amari Cooper if this guy really knew what he was doing, and had we taken some of those players earlier we might not have been in position to get Williams and Cooper in the first place. The team this guy has assembled l, after 4 years, looks soft in the trenches STILL. It didn't take Minnesota this long. Even the Raiders look significantly better than us at this point. And the sad part is is that a lot of us on this message board and twitter could have made better draft picks than Caldwell over the last 4 years.
Yes, I think Caldwell is a great evaluator of talent.  That's what makes watching Gus so frustrating.
I think he does. He's chosen Gus and kept him this past offseason when he should have been canned. Some players are regressing. TJ Yeldon looks like hes running in mud, House looked lost yesterday as well as Gipson. These are guys he brought in. Malik Jackson was supposedly benched.
Quote:Impossible for us to get Carr and Mack. Carr was taken before our second round pick came around.
we could've traded up like Minnesota easily.
The Jags have great talent on defense, but Gus has to be flexible and utilize them in the scheme that fits them best - not the scheme HE wants to run.

Won't be able to tell until a new coach comes in

Yes he deserves some blame for how we are rebuilding.  To completely gut the roster and claim it is a three year plan and then wait till year four to address the defense?  I would feel better if the Offensive line was improved last year.

I mean considering the draft grades and the high praise from around the league from our drafts... there's at least evidence that many of those who dedicate their lives to talking about this kind of stuff at least moderately liked our picks. I mean, even we as fans enjoyed the last two drafts, I know I very much believe we killed it in last years draft.

Dave Caldwell shouldn't get the boot until he starts reaching for kickers and long snappers. Or at the very least has at least two-three consecutive bad drafts.

No the talent is there. Throwing 10 screens a game and telling Poz to cover the other teams fastest receiver is the problem. Talent can't overcome those types of decisions. I guess we can blame Caldwell for sticking with Gus but as far as acquiring talent, I think he's done a good job so far.
But yes he deserves criticism for bringing Gus back this year because now Gus is sinking the whole ship. Players are starting to point fingers and show frustration. The season could be over before the bye week. So, to me, Caldwells biggest error is retaining Bradley...and it is a massive error

Lol at "coulda had Khalil Mack"

He has 0 sacks. Fowler has 2.
Caldwell is not the issue. No GM hits on 100% of his picks but Caldwell is doing well in that regard as well as bringing in quality free agents while still having cap flexibility.

It's coaching/scheme at this point.
I wonder how many pressures Mack had vs Fowler? Fowler has still yet to really whip a tackle to create pressure except for maybe two instances if that. His sacks came on clean up duty and a schemed stunt to the inside. Sacks aren't everything.
Quote:Caldwell is not the issue. No GM hits on 100% of his picks but Caldwell is doing well in that regard as well as bringing in quality free agents while still having cap flexibility.

It's coaching/scheme at this point.
too many of Caldwells picks have been misses. His entire first draft class is garbage. It's Gene-esque .
Really, you're still offering alibis for Gus?

Sure, with 20/20 hindsight Caldwell could have done better. There are no perfect GMs out there.

If you want to point out the 2013 draft failure, let me point out that all of those players were as good as rookies as they have ever been with this team. That points to a total lack of player development, not bad drafting. Maybe all eight of them were incapable of ever improving, but the odds against that are astronomical. That's also true of Telvin and Colvin from 2014, and Bennett from 2015 (Fowler and Sample have no record to compare against), so it applies to every defensive draft pick with a history for analysis. Only the offensive draft picks have developed on this team.

Quote:Really, you're still offering alibis for Gus?

Sure, with 20/20 hindsight Caldwell could have done better. There are no perfect GMs out there.

If you want to point out the 2013 draft failure, let me point out that all of those players were as good as rookies as they have ever been with this team. That points to a total lack of player development, not bad drafting. Maybe all eight of them were incapable of ever improving, but the odds against that are astronomical. That's also true of Telvin and Colvin from 2014, and Bennett from 2015 (Fowler and Sample have no record to compare against), so it applies to every defensive draft pick with a history for analysis. Only the offensive draft picks have developed on this team.
Exactly. All of those players have gone backwards. Now the quarterback looks like he may be slipping into regression. The head of this snake needs to be removed before he completely destroys it.
Caldwell finding talent is not the issue.

Him keeping Gus is my only complaint.
Pages: 1 2 3 4