Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: "But it's only preseason" I am not buying that broken record again....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I swear I hear that same saying the past decade or so on the Jaguars forum. The problem is it normally does carry over.  If a team is bad in the preseason it's more likely than not,  going to be bad in the regular season. Preseason speaks for the quality of depth on a team and well we lack depth at the starting positions let alone backups.    It's going to be a long season and time to let all expectations go.  In my eyes Trevor Lawrence gets an instant mulligan due to the fact this front office failed to get him an adquete offensive line while hiring a coordinator that does not mesh with Lawerence playing style.  It's not just this Saints game that exposed the Jaguars.  The Browns also exposed this team.  Tyson Campbell our 2nd round pick is a major concern because he has been burned like toast.  Campbell got embarrassed on Espn (you got Mossed segment) by the highlight clip against the Browns and now got embarrassed again against the Saints for another TD.  In order to compete we needed some of these young players to come in hot and that is far from the case.

The announcers more than once called out Meyer and this staff because it's a few weeks from the regular season and Meyer said this team does not have an offensive identity.  Many people were not a fan of the Bevell hire as OC and I am starting to see why.  Both Lawrence and Minshew got the checkdown bug of throwing it short of the sticks on third down.  This offense hasn't been effective regardless of who the QB is most of this preseason.
go to bed
Idiotic, Bevell is perfect for Lawrence.
(08-23-2021, 10:22 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]I swear I hear that same saying the past decade or so on the Jaguars forum. The problem is it normally does carry over.  If a team is bad in the preseason it's more likely than not,  going to be bad in the regular season. Preseason speaks for the quality of depth on a team and well we lack depth at the starting positions let alone backups.    It's going to be a long season and time to let all expectations go.  In my eyes Trevor Lawrence gets an instant mulligan due to the fact this front office failed to get him an adquete offensive while hiring a coordinator that does not mesh with Lawerence playing style.  It's not just this Saints game that explosed us.  The Browns also exposed this team.  Tyson Campbell our 2nd round pick is a major concern because he has been burned like toast.  Campbell got embarrassed on Espn (you got Mossed segment) by the highlight clip against the Browns and now got embarrassed again against the Saints for another TD.  In order to compete we needed some of these young players to come in hot and that is far from the case.

The announcers more than once called out Meyer and this staff because it's a few weeks from the regular season and Meyer said this team does not have an offensive identity.  Many people were not a fan of the Bevell hire as OC and I am starting to see why.  Both Lawrence and Minshew got the checkdown bug of throwing it short of the sticks on third down.  This offense hasn't been effect regardless of who the QB is most of this preseason.
Truthx1000000000000000000000000
(08-23-2021, 10:28 PM)TLawIsEnforced Wrote: [ -> ]Truthx1000000000000000000000000

[Image: yes-ben.gif]
Some things never change. I knew the complaints would be high tonight and it would be time for the annual preseason meltdown
It was a very bad second practice game. Need to get some positives going... but I got to agree about Campbell. That dude just flat out has looked bad. Like really really really bad.

Trevor looks good though, it’d be nice if they stopped this ridiculous “Qb competition” and just give TLAW the reps with first team. He clearly needs it, and got better as the game went on. He needs reps!! He also desperately needs any resemblance of a run game. Running backs went 9 for 21 this game with TLAW in. Not ideal for a rookie. Needs help, and is getting none.. even from his own coaching staff. Doesn’t make sense to throw a guy out there for a half with starters, but only give him half reps in practice. Enough is enough, there is no “so it doesn’t get to his head” “gotta earn it”. He is the GUY, let him get his reps FFS.
FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!

Then I’ll complain about the next guy we hire….. Grow up and learn no one cares about your opinion. We were god awful last year and you expect some monumental overnight change? We’ve sucked 18 out of the last 21 years. But they aren’t gonna trick you again by golly! They get you every time. They’ll get you again…
Whatever..
Meh

Both coordinators have said they aren't showing cards in preseason, both of them clearly and plainly stated.

Now fans are acting like that isn't what's happening. I'll get worried if the tinhorns week one game looks like this. Until then, I'm good with vanilla play calling.
(08-23-2021, 10:26 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]go to bed

Tell your wife to scoot over.
(08-23-2021, 10:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Meh

Both coordinators have said they aren't showing cards in preseason, both of them clearly and plainly stated.

Now fans are acting like that isn't what's happening. I'll get worried if the tinhorns week one game looks like this. Until then, I'm good with vanilla play calling.

While I agree, the same can be said of the other side. Neither the Saints or Browns were doing anything special either (the Browns without their starters) and they still lined up and beat the crap out of us. You are placing an extraordinary amount of weight on the schemes to overcome our glaring deficiencies.

Both coordinators have said they aren't showing cards in preseason,  both of them clearly and plainly stated.

Now fans are acting like that isn't what's happening.  I'll get worried if the tinhorns week one game looks like this. Until then, I'm good with vanilla play calling.

I don't care about the play calling, I do care about the poor execution.
Acting like we don’t plan to use Etienne and Robinson at all. Also plan on playing without Chark to take the top off of the defense. 2 starting linemen. Nope don’t plan on those either.
It feels good to score
Yeah guys, don't panic. The offensive line isn't trying either. They'll try when the real season starts
I’m encouraged by what I saw from TL on the last few drives.
(08-23-2021, 10:32 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]Some things never change. I knew the complaints would be high tonight and it would be time for the annual preseason meltdown

It would be more ridiculous if there was a parade. The team put on a very crappy performane two weeks in a row. Concern and criticism should be expressed.

(08-23-2021, 10:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]I’m encouraged by what I saw from TL on the last few drives.

The one thing I love is his toughness. He stays strong in the pocket and does not panic. He is not afraid of contact. You can't coach that!

(08-23-2021, 10:52 PM)Bruuval Wrote: [ -> ]Acting like we don’t plan to use Etienne and Robinson at all. Also plan on playing without Chark to take the top off of the defense. 2 starting linemen. Nope don’t plan on those either.

The saints and Browns both had key guys out as well.
(08-23-2021, 10:51 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]

Both coordinators have said they aren't showing cards in preseason,  both of them clearly and plainly stated.

Now fans are acting like that isn't what's happening.  I'll get worried if the tinhorns week one game looks like this. Until then, I'm good with vanilla play calling.

While I agree, the same can be said of the other side. Neither the Saints or Browns were doing anything special either (the Browns without their starters) and they still lined up and beat the crap out of us. You are placing an extraordinary amount of weight on the schemes to overcome our glaring deficiencies.

LOL

No I'm not. 
I'm placing many years of watching preseason football and being duped by it above freaking out right now.
I prefer the term off-season champions
Pages: 1 2 3 4