Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Practice Squad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Doug Costin
Devine Ozigno
Josh Hammond
(09-01-2021, 02:18 PM)Jags@dajugular Wrote: [ -> ]Doug Costin
Devine Ozigno
Josh Hammond

Can we please add Davis to this list.

Not a confirmed source but I like the list so far.
https://twitter.com/BCB_Chicago/status/1...91114?s=19

https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1433...29667?s=19
Glad Costin is there...
The full practice squad is official. Camp is missing.

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1433165696221974546

Three more guys can be signed.
room for 3 more QB noticeably absent since Luton got claimed and no TE yet either
(09-01-2021, 04:52 PM)DTWD4∞ Wrote: [ -> ]room for 3 more  QB noticeably absent since Luton got claimed and no TE yet either

I swear I saw Camp and Davis had signed.
(09-01-2021, 04:47 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]The full practice squad is official. Camp is missing.

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1433165696221974546

Three more guys can be signed.

Cotton made it!  I liked him in preseason.
I'm still really hoping we bring in either Jacob Hollister or Richard Rodgers to add to the 53 man roster. I don't see our TE unit putting fear in any defenses. I can't believe we didn't put in a single waiver claim for a TE. Hopefully, we'll hear of the Jags signing one of these 2 TE's in the next few days.
I am shocked that we have only thus far signed 1 player off the waiver wire.
Five of the thirteen are at one position (wide receiver)..  Why do people think they did that?
(09-01-2021, 07:56 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]Five of the thirteen are at one position (wide receiver)..  Why do people think they did that?

Honestly, I'm not sure Meyer knows what he is doing.
(09-01-2021, 07:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2021, 07:56 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: [ -> ]Five of the thirteen are at one position (wide receiver)..  Why do people think they did that?

Honestly, I'm not sure Meyer knows what he is doing.

I am more inclined to blame Baalke because he has GM experience and should know how the practice squad works.

Whichever of the two are to blame, that indeed is odd to have so many players at one position.
(09-01-2021, 08:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2021, 07:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I'm not sure Meyer knows what he is doing.

I am more inclined to blame Baalke because he has GM experience and should know how the practice squad works.

Whichever of the two are to blame, that indeed is odd to have so many players at one position.

I think we sometimes say Meyer because he is the face of the organization, but it is really a combination of Meyer and Baalke.  

Another way of looking at our practice squad is that it is 10 offense and 3 defense.  Considering our active roster was 21 offense and 29 defense, this would put the combined roster back into balance with 31 offense to 32 defense.  It's not the approach that I thought they would take.  I assumed that they would sign around 3 offensive players off waivers and then cut the defense to offset it.  It's also still very glaring that there was no quarterback or tight end claimed off waivers or signed to the practice squad.  I'm hoping that they are negotiating with veterans who have been cut.  I'm a Jaguars fan and want to believe the best in Meyer/Baalke, but they keep disappointing me at every phase of the off-season.  I think there were a number of waiver wire players that would have upgraded this team.  Another missed opportunity and I expect that this season we'll be given a lot of the line that "you can't turn around a team in one year".  You can turn around a team quickly if you make the right moves.  I just don't see us making the right moves.
(09-01-2021, 08:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2021, 07:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, I'm not sure Meyer knows what he is doing.

You maybe right, but I'm still wondering how much power Baalke has? I know he probably controls how things go as far as trades and stuff. When it comes to personnel decisions as far as who goes, who stays and who is brought in though, I believe that may be all Meyer. Khan seemed to make it clear when Meyer was hired that he was gonna be the decision maker. He said he would work in tandem with Baalke, but Meyer would make the final decisions. I'm seeing a lot of decisions going on that just wreak of inexperience and general confusion. With Meyer coming from the college ranks and admittedly saying on several occasions that he is frustrated by some things in the NFL that are different from college, as far as the rules, I just tend to think the waiver wire stuff might fall on him. Maybe he viewed waiver wire guys as other teams "camp fodder." Who knows? As far as the bungled trades though, I blame those directly on Baalke 100%.
Right now chark and Jones are carrying small injuries , shanault has known to be playing through injuries his last couple of years, maybe the practice squad is set that way at the moment incase a few of those injuries begin to linger

Several reasons.  

First, the WR group on the active roster is thin.  Only 5 guys, of whom I think 3 are nursing injuries.  

Secondly, it's good to have players who know the offense, so they can come in and play on a moment's notice, and all 5 of those guys were in training camp so they know the offense.  Having been in camp and knowing the offense is enough of a factor that a player on the waiver wire has to be substantially better than the player they would cut to make room for him.  And it appears that Meyer/Baalke didn't think the players available were good enough to offset the fact that they were not in training camp and don't know them.  

Third, they just like those guys, and want to keep them.  

You have to keep in mind, it's not really a 53 man roster.  With the new practice squad rules, it's really a 69 man roster.  In the past, the practice squad was (I think) 8 guys, any of whom could be claimed by another team at any time.  Now, the practice squad is 16 guys.  6 of them can be veterans, and 4 of them can be protected against claim by another team.  

Also, consider this: if we kept 7 WRs on our 53 man roster, which is plausible, that would be 13% of our 53.  If we keep 10 WRs on our active + practice squad roster, that would be 14%.  Not a big difference.  

I have to say, there are a lot of people on this message board who see the Jaguars doing something they don't understand or immediately agree with, and their default reaction is, "Urban Meyer and Trent Baalke are stupid and don't know what they are doing."  I take the opposite approach.  I try to understand why they might be doing whatever it is that I initially don't understand.  But I know a message board would be boring if everyone did that, and I also know from experience that if I call people out for this lack of self-awareness, the response would be, "What, I'm not supposed to question things?"
My guess to last 3 practice squad spots...

QB ...need the 3rd one for emergency depth.
DE/OLB ...likely release and sign Patrick to practice squad when a TE (or other) is signed.
K/P ...Urb had mentioned signing a kicker-punter to back up there.
(09-02-2021, 06:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Several reasons.  

First, the WR group on the active roster is thin.  Only 5 guys, of whom I think 3 are nursing injuries.  

Secondly, it's good to have players who know the offense, so they can come in and play on a moment's notice, and all 5 of those guys were in training camp so they know the offense.  Having been in camp and knowing the offense is enough of a factor that a player on the waiver wire has to be substantially better than the player they would cut to make room for him.  And it appears that Meyer/Baalke didn't think the players available were good enough to offset the fact that they were not in training camp and don't know them.  

You have to keep in mind, it's not really a 53 man roster.  With the new practice squad rules, it's really a 69 man roster.  In the past, the practice squad was (I think) 8 guys, any of whom could be claimed by another team at any time.  Now, the practice squad is 16 guys.  6 of them can be veterans, and 4 of them can be protected against claim by another team.  

Also, consider this: if we kept 7 WRs on our 53 man roster, which is plausible, that would be 13% of our 53.  If we keep 10 WRs on our active + practice squad roster, that would be 14%.  Not a big difference.  

I have to say, there are a lot of people on this message board who see the Jaguars doing something they don't understand or immediately agree with, and their default reaction is, "Urban Meyer and Trent Baalke are stupid and don't know what they are doing."  I take the opposite approach.  I try to understand why they might be doing whatever it is that I initially don't understand.  But I know a message board would be boring if everyone did that, and I also know from experience that if I call people out for this lack of self-awareness, the response would be, "What, I'm not supposed to question things?"

To this I Concur especially how some message board Gurus thinks that they know more than the GM and HC. As a fan and fan only, being disappoint by the staff's decision making process only allows you to vent via. this message board i.e. social media.

We have an entirely new coaching staff, an entirely new offensive/defensive scheme, we've rolled over the roster and we've yet to hit the playing field. Let It Play Out FANS.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

@at a dime a dozen, value for your dollar?@

if I had to venture any sort of guess it would be that the team values that position over others (such as, say, TE) and wants to have players ready to step in should any of the starters get hurt.

That, or that we already have a bunch of injuries among the WR on the roster.
(09-02-2021, 06:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Several reasons.  

We're just following the evidence, given some of the baffling and strange decisions and choices this new regime has been making since taking over.
Pages: 1 2 3 4