Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Families who buy electric vehicles "never have to worry about gas prices again."
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Transportation Sec. Buttigieg says families who buy electric vehicles "never have to worry about gas prices again."

Adding, low-income Americans “would gain the most by having that vehicle."

https://t.co/AHcz1RVScV
(11-30-2021, 03:28 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Transportation Sec. Buttigieg says families who buy electric vehicles "never have to worry about gas prices again."

He’s not wrong. Of course there’s myriad other flaws in his statement, but his premise is 100% correct.
(11-30-2021, 03:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 03:28 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Transportation Sec. Buttigieg says families who buy electric vehicles "never have to worry about gas prices again."

He’s not wrong. Of course there’s myriad other flaws in his statement, but his premise is 100% correct.

That's the barometer now? "He's not wrong". The main logical flaw is the pompous assumption those struggling with rising fuel costs can afford a $50,000 automobile and its charging infrastructure. 

Ignorant premises can always be 100% correct and still ignorant.
I live in a very rural area. You pretty much need a 4x4 pickup to live out here, because the snow drifts terribly. An electric full size 4x4 pickup starts out at about $50,000. Some of them go up to about $100,00. Who the hell can afford that?
Say everyone gets electric cars, they’re no longer dependent on gas prices to get around. What happens to the power grid with that much more drawing from it? Coal is the most common source of fuel for electric plants, guess the coal mining industry is gonna get a boost from the increased demand.

Is it really “green” if you’re just replacing one fossil fuel for another?
(11-30-2021, 05:25 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Say everyone gets electric cars, they’re no longer dependent on gas prices to get around. What happens to the power grid with that much more drawing from it? Coal is the most common source of fuel for electric plants, guess the coal mining industry is gonna get a boost from the increased demand.

The grid is only one of the 10 problems.  EV manufacturers aren't going to reluctantly produce charging stations that work on other automobiles. The charging infrastructure is going to he a gigantic mess. Elon Musk has already gotten a massive head start on all the other manufacturers, and they are going to attach themselves to the government teet for some of that "infrastructure" money.
(11-30-2021, 05:31 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 05:25 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Say everyone gets electric cars, they’re no longer dependent on gas prices to get around. What happens to the power grid with that much more drawing from it? Coal is the most common source of fuel for electric plants, guess the coal mining industry is gonna get a boost from the increased demand.

The grid is only one of the 10 problems.  EV manufacturers aren't going to reluctantly produce charging stations that work on other automobiles. The charging infrastructure is going to he a gigantic mess. Elon Musk has already gotten a massive head start on all the other manufacturers, and they are going to attach themselves to the government teet for some of that "infrastructure" money.

False.  All plug in cars in North America use the same type of plug.

Which is why we should also be pushing for more and more solar and wind power to come online.  

If the electric company uses natural gas (methane) for your electric car, even that is better for the environment than driving a typical gasoline powered car or truck.
(11-30-2021, 04:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I live in a very rural area. You pretty much need a 4x4 pickup to live out here, because the snow drifts terribly. An electric full size 4x4 pickup starts out at about $50,000. Some of them go up to about $100,00. Who the hell can afford that?

Same here.  Plus I have one truck, 3 tractors and a skid steer that need diesel to run.  The overhead to replace those tools is too much for me to handle.  I also have a John Deere Gator and a Polaris Ranger that run on gasoline.  Again, replacing those with electrical versions is out of the question.

I commute daily 45 miles or so each way for my "regular" job.  If I had to charge an EV running the same distance my electric bill would go up by as much or more as my regular fuel bill.
I drive to Pittsburgh quite often so tell me if I'm missing something here:

Distance - 800 miles through the mountains of WV.

GAS VEHICLE -
Total gas cost = $95 each way assuming 25 mpg and $3/gallon.
Travel time = 13 hours (quick gas and pee stops only)

ELECTRIC VEHICLE -
Total electric cost = $32 based on 4 cents per mile.
Travel Time = 43 hours which represents 13 hours driving + (10 hours x 3 additional charges) Note: this is based on an electric vehicle getting 250 miles per charge and taking 10 hours to charge. Also, the vehicle is going to get less distance going through the mountains of WV so I'm assuming I'll need to charge the car at mile 250, 500, and 700 to get to my total of 800 miles.

WHAT THE HECK !!! If I drove a Tesla to Pittsburgh, would it really take me 43 hours to get there, factoring the charging time? Am I missing something????
(11-30-2021, 05:53 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 05:31 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]The grid is only one of the 10 problems.  EV manufacturers aren't going to reluctantly produce charging stations that work on other automobiles. The charging infrastructure is going to he a gigantic mess. Elon Musk has already gotten a massive head start on all the other manufacturers, and they are going to attach themselves to the government teet for some of that "infrastructure" money.

False.  All plug in cars in North America use the same type of plug.

Which is why we should also be pushing for more and more solar and wind power to come online.  

If the electric company uses natural gas (methane) for your electric car, even that is better for the environment than driving a typical gasoline powered car or truck.

Level 3 charging has different standards, which is more applicable to real world charging needs.
EVs obviously aren't feasible for rural dwellers or long commuters. However, for suburban denizens like me, an EV would be great. I'd own one in heartbeat but don't want to absorb the cost of owning an EV and a gas vehicle for when I need to make longer trips.
This guy is dumb.
You could at least wait until I leave the room. 

Tongue
Who really wants to take a trip and have to stop for 10 hours every time you need to charge up? You’d have to stop for a 10 hour charge if you wanted to drive to the keys from jax. Yeah, I don’t think so.
Now you know why energy prices are going up. They have no control, they say. But hey, while this thing we have no control over goes up, you should just get this other type of vehicle that we have been saying you should get.
(11-30-2021, 07:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]You could at least wait until I leave the room. 

Tongue

Cool
(11-30-2021, 06:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I drive to Pittsburgh quite often so tell me if I'm missing something here:

GAS VEHICLE -

ELECTRIC VEHICLE -
Travel Time = 43 hours which represents 13 hours driving + (10 hours x 3 additional charges)  Note:  this is based on an electric vehicle getting 250 miles per charge and taking 10 hours to charge.  Also, the vehicle is going to get less distance going through the mountains of WV so I'm assuming I'll need to charge the car at mile 250, 500, and 700 to get to my total of 800 miles.

WHAT THE HECK !!!  If I drove a Tesla to Pittsburgh, would it really take me 43 hours to get there, factoring the charging time?  Am I missing something????

Flip the script and think about what would happen if EV were the norm as the internal combustion engine was just invented and you were told

"Rather than 43 hours to drive 800 miles, you can buy a vehicle that covers the same distance in 13 hours.  All you need to do is stop a few times and spend 5 minutes filling the tank with a magical liquid called gas.  Fill up and you're back on the road.

People would swarm to buy one.
(12-01-2021, 05:26 AM)captivating Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2021, 06:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I drive to Pittsburgh quite often so tell me if I'm missing something here:

GAS VEHICLE -

ELECTRIC VEHICLE -
Travel Time = 43 hours which represents 13 hours driving + (10 hours x 3 additional charges)  Note:  this is based on an electric vehicle getting 250 miles per charge and taking 10 hours to charge.  Also, the vehicle is going to get less distance going through the mountains of WV so I'm assuming I'll need to charge the car at mile 250, 500, and 700 to get to my total of 800 miles.

WHAT THE HECK !!!  If I drove a Tesla to Pittsburgh, would it really take me 43 hours to get there, factoring the charging time?  Am I missing something????

Flip the script and think about what would happen if EV were the norm as the internal combustion engine was just invented and you were told

"Rather than 43 hours to drive 800 miles, you can buy a vehicle that covers the same distance in 13 hours.  All you need to do is stop a few times and spend 5 minutes filling the tank with a magical liquid called gas.  Fill up and you're back on the road.

People would swarm to buy one.

<insert global warming lecture here>

GAS VEHICLE -

ELECTRIC VEHICLE -

https://www.tesla.com/trips/ can tell you how much charging you need, and the route to take that has the charging along the way.

I checked, for a long range model 3 the Jax to Pittsburgh trip is a little more than 15 hours with about 2 hours worth of charging along the way.

It seems unnecessary to exaggerate the time needed to the extent you have above.

After waiting in line for gas the other day I'm looking forward to a time when I can get a decent electric car and have a full tank every morning when I leave for work and no need to go to the gas station every week.
(12-01-2021, 08:14 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

GAS VEHICLE -

ELECTRIC VEHICLE -

https://www.tesla.com/trips/ can tell you how much charging you need, and the route to take that has the charging along the way.

I checked, for a long range model 3 the Jax to Pittsburgh trip is a little more than 15 hours with about 2 hours worth of charging along the way.

It seems unnecessary to exaggerate the time needed to the extent you have above.

After waiting in line for gas the other day I'm looking forward to a time when I can get a decent electric car and have a full tank every morning when I leave for work and no need to go to the gas station every week.

I was simply going on the fact that the avg Tesla gets ~ 250 miles per charge and the avg charging time to sustain full charge is 10 hours.  I see the links below related to a model 3 is 275-350 miles per full charge (likely the minimum going through mountains) and the hours to sustain full charge is 8.5 to 10 hours.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tesla+mo...e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=tesla+mo...nt=gws-wiz
Pages: 1 2 3